Synthetic oil wasted on X350 @ 25 hours per year?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ejb69

Thread: Synthetic oil wasted on X350 @ 25 hours per year?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Thanks

Synthetic oil wasted on X350 @ 25 hours per year?

I started using synthetic oil in my 2016 X350, but I'm reconsidering. I change oil yearly, which amounts to roughly 25 hours of use. The Kawasaki V-Twin engine should easily outlast the K46 transaxle anyway. Does anyone think synthetic makes a difference for my situation? It's not much of a cost difference, but I have a few bottles of regular oil that I don't want to waste.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,126 Posts
    IMHO... yes, you are probably wasting money on synthetic oil and would be just as well served with dino oil. I have a X500 and like you I change my engine oil/filter at 25 hrs. For me that amounts to twice per year. I use the standard JD 10W-30 dino oil. I feel that on this small engines, unless you are really pushing it to the limits you are probably better off using dino oil and changing it frequently compared to using synthetic and doing extended oil change intervals.

For comparison, on my diesel compact tractor I use JD 0W-40 synthetic even though I only put about 25 hrs per year on the tractor. I do it mostly for winter cold starting performance. It is one oil that is well suited for the coldest of winters and hottest summers.

With you being in FL you don't have to worry about cold winter starts.

Take a look at the oil chart in your Owner's Manual and use a dino oil with a viscosity that best matches your ambient temperatures. If you operate only in warmer weather you might want to use a single viscosity oil like 30W or 40W.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:34 AM
    Thanks
    I use synthetic for cold weather starting. I donít think you see sub zero temps in Florida very often. Iím somewhat surprised that in a southern state youíd only put 25 hours on a lawnmower. Iím in north Wisconsin, I average 30 hours per year mowing. I still have my snowblower on, donít plan on mowing till mid May ,maybe not until June.
    JD4044M likes this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ejb69 View Post
    Iím somewhat surprised that in a southern state youíd only put 25 hours on a lawnmower.
    First, thanks for the feedback. I'll go ahead and use conventional oil for annual changes unless my usage increases

Yeah, I know that's not very many mowing hours for an X-series. I can mow my 1/2 acre lot in 30-40 minutes per week (plus trimming, etc.). I skip December & January and start over in mid-to-late February. My lawn slopes and I've also hauled a lot of sand, rocks, and brush. I wanted a strong machine for my attachments (accessories link below), but didn't want a deck larger than 42". I would be nervous with a smaller frame and axle. As folks say here, "buy one size larger than you think you need".
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements