x758 Steering Problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: x758 Steering Problem

  1. Top | #1
    ZebraIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    07-04-2019 @ 08:22 PM
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post

    x758 Steering Problem

    Hi all. This is my first post, so I hope I have it in the correct section! I have searched for other posts with the same issue, but haven't found any. I have a new x758 - just 6 hours on it. My concern is that when I am traveling at full speed, I have almost no power steering. The wheel is so hard to turn that I can't use the spinner knob. If I lift my foot off the pedal, I can steer with no effort. It feels to me that the hydraulic system isn't strong enough to keep up with both the transmission and the power steering. Has anyone else experienced this? I will be contacting the dealer, but thought maybe I could find some help here first. Thank you in advance!
    JD4044M likes this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    JD4044M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:34 AM
    Location
    Okanogan, Washington State
    Posts
    2,566
    Thanks
    1,457
    Thanked 529 Times in 364 Posts
    I looked on the internet and I found this. I hope it helps some but others will chime in too.


    They are not really problematic, just misunderstood. Wonderful machines for flat lawns. I plan to buy one myself too - as they WILL be collectors items.

    Go ahead and remove the fender deck so you can see what's going on with the actuators and switches. I'm going to guess that you've got a puntured/rotted/rat chewed actuator. They work off of engine vacuum, which is sent to the proper actuator via the switches at the rear of the machine, on the foot pedal linkage.

    The transmission is actually quite simple in operation. It contains two hydros, but setup not how you think. One motor controls the forward/reverse, a smaller motor the steering. It steers by the smaller steering motor spinning a planetary drive around the differential. Hard to explain, but basically it can slow down each axle independantly by how fast or in what direction that smaller motor spins the planetarys. All that is internal to the trans. I doubt there is a problem inside the transmission.

    They have all that "reverse logic" actuator stuff to make them steer like a normal tractor in forward or reverse. Twin stick ZTR's can be kind of weird to back up, so this system avoids that by basically flip-flopping the linkage when you go into reverse via the actuators.

    I'd recommend getting the technical manual for it - it's great in terms of diagnostics and such. There is actually a diagnostic plug under the dash that you can probe with a test light to make sure all the switches are working correctly, but I can't remember how it works off the top of my head. It's in the tech manual though.

    Have fun!
    etcallhome and mike01 like this.

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:12 AM
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Start by checking the transmission fluid. Most likely isn't even fluid on the stick, common issue from the factory. If this is the case have your dealer give you the fluid, they should have checked it in the pre delivery setup.
    etcallhome, so.fulton and JD4044M like this.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:53 PM
    Location
    South Eastern, Connecticut
    Posts
    294
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
    Definetly check the fluid level in the transmission. The dipstick is under the seat.

    Also what throttle position are you running at? Running around below half throttle will make the machine feel heavy because you aren't spinning the hydro pump fast enough.

    To properly check the fluid the tractor should be cold and parked on a level surface. Unscrew the dipstick pull it out and wipe it, then stick it back in the transmission but don't screw it back in. Pull it back out and read the level.

    If you aren't showing any fluid on the stick call the dealer and have them take care of it. Chances are it's only 1-2 qts low if it's low at all. That's a relatively small amount as there is at least 3.5 gallons of fluid in your hydro system.

    The power steering should work just as easy at full speed as it does at low speed. I can travel, turn the wheel and raise my 3PH all at the same time and none of it feels heavy or slow.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:06 AM
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    7,264
    Thanks
    592
    Thanked 685 Times in 576 Posts
    At 6 hours the dealer should be the one looking into this.

  8. Top | #6
    so.fulton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    07-13-2019 @ 01:56 PM
    Location
    Western Illinois
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    Definetly check the fluid level in the transmission. The dipstick is under the seat.

    Also what throttle position are you running at? Running around below half throttle will make the machine feel heavy because you aren't spinning the hydro pump fast enough.

    To properly check the fluid the tractor should be cold and parked on a level surface. Unscrew the dipstick pull it out and wipe it, then stick it back in the transmission but don't screw it back in. Pull it back out and read the level.

    If you aren't showing any fluid on the stick call the dealer and have them take care of it. Chances are it's only 1-2 qts low if it's low at all. That's a relatively small amount as there is at least 3.5 gallons of fluid in your hydro system.

    The power steering should work just as easy at full speed as it does at low speed. I can travel, turn the wheel and raise my 3PH all at the same time and none of it feels heavy or slow.

    This first ^^^^^^^^^^^.

    I had to add about a quart to mine.
    Michael


    2018 X738 w/54” deck
    3 PH/17P Cart/Tow behind A-F Spreader/Tow behind 31 gal Sprayer
    Land Pride Core Aerator, Box Blade, and Quick Hitch

  9. Top | #7
    SulleyBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Location
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Posts
    6,558
    Thanks
    1,345
    Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    I looked on the internet and I found this. I hope it helps some but others will chime in too.


    They are not really problematic, just misunderstood. Wonderful machines for flat lawns. I plan to buy one myself too - as they WILL be collectors items.

    Go ahead and remove the fender deck so you can see what's going on with the actuators and switches. I'm going to guess that you've got a puntured/rotted/rat chewed actuator. They work off of engine vacuum, which is sent to the proper actuator via the switches at the rear of the machine, on the foot pedal linkage.

    The transmission is actually quite simple in operation. It contains two hydros, but setup not how you think. One motor controls the forward/reverse, a smaller motor the steering. It steers by the smaller steering motor spinning a planetary drive around the differential. Hard to explain, but basically it can slow down each axle independantly by how fast or in what direction that smaller motor spins the planetarys. All that is internal to the trans. I doubt there is a problem inside the transmission.

    They have all that "reverse logic" actuator stuff to make them steer like a normal tractor in forward or reverse. Twin stick ZTR's can be kind of weird to back up, so this system avoids that by basically flip-flopping the linkage when you go into reverse via the actuators.

    I'd recommend getting the technical manual for it - it's great in terms of diagnostics and such. There is actually a diagnostic plug under the dash that you can probe with a test light to make sure all the switches are working correctly, but I can't remember how it works off the top of my head. It's in the tech manual though.

    Have fun!
    I think this description you posted above refers to a different series machine than the x758 lawn tractor.

    I looked at the parts schematic for the x758 and I don't see some of the things that this description is referring to. Also, its mention of "Twin Stick ZTR's can be kind of weird to back up, so this system avoids that by basically flip flopping the linkage when you go into reverese via the actuators" sure doesn't seem to fit anything on this machine.

    I don't recall seeing many diesel engine vacuum operated actuators anywhere on the x758 lawn tractor. Its using the similar design for the rear hydro and pump which has been in use for decades......with some upgrades. The steering uses the standard hydraulic cylinder which has been used for 35 years on larger, heavier duty Deere Lawn and Garden Tractors with power steering....

    My guess would be a fluid level issue. I certainly doubt its anything serious.

    The owner of the machine needs to be shown how to properly check the hydro oil in their machine as its very important for machine longevity and successful operation. Its a good thing to know........along with the engine oil levels also.....

    1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

    John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

    ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products





  10. Top | #8
    SulleyBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Location
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Posts
    6,558
    Thanks
    1,345
    Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZebraIII View Post
    Hi all. This is my first post, so I hope I have it in the correct section! I have searched for other posts with the same issue, but haven't found any. I have a new x758 - just 6 hours on it. My concern is that when I am traveling at full speed, I have almost no power steering. The wheel is so hard to turn that I can't use the spinner knob. If I lift my foot off the pedal, I can steer with no effort. It feels to me that the hydraulic system isn't strong enough to keep up with both the transmission and the power steering. Has anyone else experienced this? I will be contacting the dealer, but thought maybe I could find some help here first. Thank you in advance!
    Please make sure to post a follow up to this first thread you started once you hear back from your Deere service department. This is likely a situation of low fluid, as the steering systems on these machines have been long used and very trouble free. We would like to hear for sure how your problem is resolved once the Dealer service department has a chance to look over your machine. Looking forward to hearing from you again on this matter. It makes sure any similar issues in the future find your thread helpful in solving their issues.

    By the way, welcome to the GTT site with your first posting.....

    BigJim55, JD4044M and Dr Kubar like this.

    1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

    John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

    ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products





  11. Top | #9
    etcallhome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Location
    Preston County WV
    Posts
    13,032
    Thanks
    3,149
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,509 Posts
    6hrs on the machine, let the dealer fix the problem''


    Yes check the fluid and see if it is low , that is my guess. Either way if it is low make the dealer give you the fluid.
    SulleyBear and JD4044M like this.
    Gene

    Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

  12. Top | #10
    JD4044M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:34 AM
    Location
    Okanogan, Washington State
    Posts
    2,566
    Thanks
    1,457
    Thanked 529 Times in 364 Posts

    Can't trust the internet?

    This is what I searched on the X758 and found the information I posted. Fluid level is something that should always be checked first it is free information and easy to do.

    Google Search https://www.google.com/search?source...30.8r3hV1gGq_U

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 318 Power Steering Extreme Steering Play
    By Scotty370 in forum Vintage Lawn & Garden Tractors
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-23-2019, 11:18 AM
  2. New x758 - Ticking/Rattling noise from steering area
    By PaulB324 in forum Lawn & Garden Tractors
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-13-2018, 12:35 PM
  3. HELP!! x758 Problem Connecting Deck
    By Eire1916 in forum Lawn & Garden Tractors
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-22-2017, 08:41 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 04:44 PM
  5. steering problem
    By texasjohn in forum Utility Tractors
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2012, 05:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •