I got this in a trade some time back. The 17 HP Kawasaki had a rod about to let go. I happened to have a Kohler CV730 (25 HP) looking for a home. After a bit of cut to fit issues, it's in there. Engine has under 500 hrs. Carb was junk, so I shipped in a new one. All was good! Made a great mower, even in tall thick Bermuda! Anyways, I started it the other day, all was good. Went the next day and just cranked. Got crazy with the carb cleaner ! Blew the end out of my muffler, no start. Gave up for the day.
Got out there this morning to see what other damage I had done. Tore the air cleaner housing off and got to the NEW solenoid in the bottom of the carb. Took it off and it tested BAD. There's the no start issue! Got the OLD one out, it tested fine. Put it in, still no start. Had fuel to the carb, had spark (I needed that jump start by then). Pulled the valve cover, yep the valves appear to be working. Time to visit the flywheel!
Made my way down to it. Got it broke loose. It had sheared the STEEL woodruff key when it backfired! I found a replacement in my stash. Put the flywheel back on, reset the magneto's gaps and it fired right up. Noisy now though. Gotta weld up the muffler!