Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Flat-Lander Needs a Deere

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-19-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    Hi all,

I’m moving onto a new property and about 3 acres of it will be mowed. No snow or hills, but we do get a decent amount of rain and the yard can get a little soppy.
    I’d like something that is built well enough to haul a Deere cart around with some landscaping supplies (small logs, dirt, mulch, plants).
    I’m currently looking at the x380.
    Budget high end is $5k.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Larry4056; 04-16-2019 at 03:50 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Thanks
    i doubt if 5k would buy anything JD new.......so your probably into the used market

when you mention haul stuff around ....are you talking trailer? or loader? .... need to mow with it? .....working out when its muddy? .......other anticipated uses? ......

so far you could haul i little wagon or trailer around with a ATV or Mower ....and those are available used in your price range

might want to discuss your desires more clearly i am sure people will jump in with suggestions
    Last edited by ttazzman; 04-16-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    i doubt if 5k would buy anything JD new.......so your probably into the used market

when you mention haul stuff around ....are you talking trailer? or loader? .... need to mow with it? .....working out when its muddy? .......other anticipated uses? ......

so far you could haul i little wagon or trailer around with a ATV or Mower ....and those are available used in your price range

might want to discuss your desires more clearly i am sure people will jump in with suggestions

I’m specifically looking at the x300 series. I can afford up the the x380 with 54 inch deck. As far as hauling, I’d be pulling a cart with logs, dirt, mulch.... I don’t plan on using it in the mud on the regular, only if need be.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Thanks
    It sounds like you'd be happy with a lawn tractor (only tows things with wheels, since the transmission isn't desighed for "ground engaging" implements). HOWEVER, you'll need to look at garden tractors if you want a three point hitch.

I have an X350 with several accessories. That model easily should do everything you need on level ground for about $3,500 depending on configuration. The deck size would be either 42 or 48". A heavier tractor would probably make a mess on wet soil. A cheaper tractor will probaby have a lighter frame or less robust engine. My lawn has some decent slopes and I've towed many 300+ pound loads in my trailer with absolutely no problems. It will take a while to mow three acres, but a faster zero-turn doesn't have the flexibility you want. Starting with an X380, higher models have more durable transmissions, but you don't need to spend the extra $1,000 unless you deal with a lot of slopes or want a bigger deck.
    Last edited by RodW; 04-16-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry4056 View Post
    Iím specifically looking at the x300 series. I can afford up the the x380 with 54 inch deck. As far as hauling, Iíd be pulling a cart with logs, dirt, mulch.... I donít plan on using it in the mud on the regular, only if need be.
    I wouldnít haul a heavy trailer with an x380, even on flat ground. It has the k58 transmission witch is better then most x300 series as it serviceable, but itís not much more heavy duty.

The other thing is mud, by stepping up to x500 series you get a k72, and differential lock which is an actual traction improvement.
    Levi, BigJim55 and theduke like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RodW View Post
    It sounds like you'd be happy with a lawn tractor (only tows things with wheels, since the transmission isn't desighed for "ground engaging" implements). HOWEVER, you'll need to look at garden tractors if you want a three point hitch.

I have an X350 with several accessories. That model easily should do everything you need on level ground for about $3,500 depending on configuration. The deck size would be either 42 or 48". A heavier tractor would probably make a mess on wet soil. A cheaper tractor will probaby have a lighter frame or less robust engine. My lawn has some decent slopes and I've towed many 300+ pound loads in my trailer with absolutely no problems. It will take a while to mow three acres, but a faster zero-turn doesn't have the flexibility you want. Starting with an X380, higher models have more durable transmissions, but you don't need to spend the extra $1,000 unless you deal with a lot of slopes or want a bigger deck.
    Thanks for the info. If I could get a zero turn for a good price, I’d be able to purchase a gator for my trailer needs in about 6 months.
    Levi, BigJim55 and ttazzman like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:09 PM
    Thanks
    You should be able to find a really nice used x5xx with fairly low hours. For 5k or less.

It's not too uncommon for them to be traded in by people realizing they needed an x7xx or a 1 series. The x5's will be a much better fit for your land and uses. Also a longer lasting machine.
    Levi, BigJim55 and darkrt like this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    I’m specifically looking at the x300 series. I can afford up the the x380 with 54 inch deck. As far as hauling, I’d be pulling a cart with logs, dirt, mulch.... I don’t plan on using it in the mud on the regular, only if need be.
    I wouldn’t haul a heavy trailer with an x380, even on flat ground. It has the k58 transmission witch is better then most x300 series as it serviceable, but it’s not much more heavy duty.

The other thing is mud, by stepping up to x500 series you get a k72, and differential lock which is an actual traction improvement.
    That makes sense. Are there any mowing advantages with the x500? I have two options. Suck it up and pay the extra $$$ for a 5 series or buy a 3 series now and a gator in about 6 months....
    BigJim55 likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Thanks
    That makes sense. Are there any mowing advantages with the x500? I have two options. Suck it up and pay the extra $$$ for a 5 series or buy a 3 series now and a gator in about 6 months....
    Bigger tires make for a smoother ride. Outside that the decks are about the same.

You should be able to get into a lightly used one and stay in budget. These are still 30 year tractors with maintenance so a 1-2 year old one doesnít lose much life compared to the price reduction.
    DRobinson, Levi and BigJim55 like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 02:57 PM
    Thanks
    Yep, for your needs and property size, a 500 series is the way to go. You will thank yourself later.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    "It's not how fast you mow, it's how well you mow fast"

X590
    X540

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast