I still need tiller conversion help.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: I still need tiller conversion help.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-29-2019 @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks

I still need tiller conversion help.

Will the coupler on the end of a x738 54in deck driveshaft fit on the shaft of the hydraulic pump from a cat0 42 Hyd Tiller? In other words, is the diameter of the cat1 pump shaft the same diameter of the cat0 pump shaft? I read somewhere here a while ago that the conversion requires the driveshaft for the deck. My setup came with the auto connect and I didn't recieve a deck driveshaft, only the mid pto driveshaft. So I need to know if the hydraulic pump shafts are the same diameter, and if I buy the deck driveshaft that it will fit on the pump. I bought the cat1 mount bracket and the pump brackets for the conversion, but still can't get the hyd tiller pump connected to the tractor. Thank you for any and all help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Thanks
    The pump isnít related to the cat rating. The cat rating is only related to the mount.

A 42 tiller can fit either the 3x5, 4x5 or x4x5/x5x5/x7xx. The 3x5 version is belt driven so Iím ignoring it.

The other versions are driven by the mid pto. The spline count and diameter match both types. The driveshaft length I think is the same but hopefully someone will confirm or correct that. The pump mounts arenít exactly the same between 4x5 and x7xx and only one version fits both. Iím not sure thatís compatible with auto-connect as far as the driveshaft or the pump mount.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    The pump isnít related to the cat rating. The cat rating is only related to the mount.

A 42 tiller can fit either the 3x5, 4x5 or x4x5/x5x5/x7xx. The 3x5 version is belt driven so Iím ignoring it.

The other versions are driven by the mid pto. The spline count and diameter match both types. The driveshaft length I think is the same but hopefully someone will confirm or correct that. The pump mounts arenít exactly the same between 4x5 and x7xx and only one version fits both. Iím not sure thatís compatible with auto-connect as far as the driveshaft or the pump mount.
    Thank you. I did buy the cat 1 mounting bracket and the new mounting parts needed for the x738. I'm hoping that the pump from the older version will work on the x738. The older pump has a hose coming out of each side, while the newer one has a hose coming out of the back and one out of a side. I think I need the driveshaft that goes from the x738 mid pto to the mower deck. Am I understanding correctly that coupling will work on the tiller pump shaft? Thanks again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cartobum View Post
    Thank you. I did buy the cat 1 mounting bracket and the new mounting parts needed for the x738. I'm hoping that the pump from the older version will work on the x738.

The pump will work, the mount is the only question

The older pump has a hose coming out of each side, while the newer one has a hose coming out of the back and one out of a side. I think I need the driveshaft that goes from the x738 mid pto to the mower deck. Am I understanding correctly that coupling will work on the tiller pump shaft?

Im pretty sure itís the same as a mower driveshaft. If a part has been revíd the center slide may not be mix and match. Check JD parts or call your dealers parts department to confirm part numbers.

Thanks again.

All this said, I donít know if the pump or driveshaft can fit the tractor with auto-connect installed. You may have to remove it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rydplrs For This Useful Post:

cartobum†(04-18-2019)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:19 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    All this said, I donít know if the pump or driveshaft can fit the tractor with auto-connect installed. You may have to remove it.
    From what I see in the parts diagram, it would seem to me the pump brackets would be in conflict with the Auto connect components.

Here is what I see of the driveshaft with the pump connection....

John Deere Parts Catalog

This appears to be the mounting and hoses, etc. From what the OP describes on the hoses, this seems to be a possible issue from what I see in the parts schematic. Hopefully the parts pictures make the process easier to sort out. What other parts is the OP missing?

John Deere Parts Catalog

rydplrs likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    From what I see in the parts diagram, it would seem to me the pump brackets would be in conflict with the Auto connect components.

Here is what I see of the driveshaft with the pump connection....

John Deere Parts Catalog

This appears to be the mounting and hoses, etc. From what the OP describes on the hoses, this seems to be a possible issue from what I see in the parts schematic. Hopefully the parts pictures make the process easier to sort out. What other parts is the OP missing?

John Deere Parts Catalog

Thank you for the picture links.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks to all that replied. I ordered #3 in the first parts diagram. I think I had everything else. I'll know for sure when the stuff gets here. I'll report back when I get the tiller running. Thanks again.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements