• 1 Post By Aaronw9
  • 2 Post By Jeff B

Thread: LX176 Surging

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:16 AM
    Thanks

LX176 Surging

I replaced the oil sump gasket and bottom main seal on my LX176 now it surges at anything above idle, It stops surging with a load on the engine like just driving around it still skips everyonce in a while but not like it does running with no load. I havent tried running the deck since I would like to fix this problem since it ran great before. What do you guys think the problem is? I'm thinking it has to be govenor related since it started after I opened the engine up. Does it matter if the oil pump is lined up in the same gear tooth as it was before? (oil pump runs govenor gear)
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    I put the deck back on and mowed with it, there was no change. It sounds like its running too rich and when I pulled the plug it was black with carbon and before it used to run tan brown. What could have happened? All I did was remove the engine and replace the oil sump gasket.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Thanks
    I'm not familiar with the LX176 engine, but I suspect you did not have to unhook or disturb any of the external part of the governor. Correct? The only timing involved inside the engine is the cam to crank gears. You don't have to do anything special with the oil pump and governor gear timing.
    What may have happened is you had to turn the engine over to remove the sump. With the carb. still mounted, some "dirt" in the bowl was moved around into the carb. body. Those carburetors tend to have very small jet orifices, and several of them. The smallest speck of something will result in the surging. This may or may not be the problem, but a carb. cleaning would be my first thought. If you are careful, it's usually possible to disassemble this type of carb. reassemble it, and not have to by a kit. I didn't check this one out, but a carb. kit or parts for the brands of carbs. used on Kawasakis costs an arm and a leg. (My experience with the LX188 Mikuni brand.)

Some have had success with adding Seafoam to the fuel and running for a time. I haven't tried it though. Good luck and keep us posted. Maybe someone else can help.

tommyhawk
    OxPath likes this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tommyhawk For This Useful Post:

Aaronw9 (04-23-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:20 AM
    Thanks
    I kind of agree with Tommyhawk. Though im still thinkin over this one. I had an LX176 for many years, with the 14hp Kawi, and I also did the lower engine gasket replacement. Pretty sure I took the engine out all as one piece. Carb and all. I did not encounter the problem you are having tho. Heres a pic of the motor with the lower oil pan removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OxPath likes this.
    2016 1025r - Amazing Machine!
    1969 112 - May need a rebuild

8. The Following User Says Thank You to t2timmy For This Useful Post:

Aaronw9 (04-23-2019)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm thinking some dirt got moved around inside the carb too. I pulled the main jets out and cleaned it yesterday but it didn't fix the problem. So I must have not gotten whatever is causing the problem cleaned out. My engine looks the same as yours but the Cam gear is solid metal it dont have the plastic lining at the teeth. And No I didn't mess with any external part of the governor besides removing carb linkages.
    OxPath likes this.

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I pulled the carb off for the fourth time today removed the emulsion tube and the jet in the side of the tube where the electric solenoid bolts to and the little jet on the top held in with a phillips screw and blew everything out with air and carburetor cleaner. It still runs the same what am I missing here?

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:05 PM
    Thanks
    My experience, and yours might be different...
    Most surging I have encountered has been due to gum or debris clogging the idle circuit. This causes the rpm to drop and the governor to react which opens the throttle bringing in the main jet to gain rpm.
    Usually at higher rpm and under load the performance is normal if this is the case.

I have found with the carbs on these small engines that if you remove the carb and fuel bowl and look at the position of the float when you turn the carb over so that the float is sitting on the needle (carb is now upside down) that it must be at least perfectly horizontal or better yet a touch higher or the seat may leak even with high fuel in the bowl.

I'm not sure if your unit has the fuel shut off solenoid but if it did not and your needle and seat were leaking you would get significant flooding when the engine was off and super rich when it was running.
    If it has the shut off solenoid it may not flood the manifold when the engine is off but still run very rich.

I assume this model has a remote air filter that could not have become saturated with oil during the repair and that there is no fresh air restriction?

If nothing else a couple bad guesses on my part...
    OxPath and tommyhawk like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff B For This Useful Post:

Aaronw9 (04-23-2019)

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Jeff B, That would make sense what you said but it runs fine at idle but anything above idle it surges. I will have to look at the float but I cant see that being a problem either since it ran fine before i tore into it. The Air Filter didnt get saturated in oil or gas it runs the same with the air filter off too.

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    What do you guys think about putting some seafoam in the gas and running it to see if it gets any better.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements