Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Which tires to buy?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-30-2019 @ 09:00 PM
    Thanks

Which tires to buy?

Jethro had a blow-out today. It was not a pretty sight, but at least I didn't total him, unlike my poor SUV recently. So, I've been shopping Amazon for a set of 4 new tires. I know the sizes I need, but can't decide which brand to buy (Carlisle, Marastar, or Antego). Also, I plan to lift Jethro with my car floor jack (swapping out one wheel at a time). Where do I place it under him (front and rear) and how do I remove the center caps (can't get 'em to pull off and don't wanna break a nail, heaven forbid)?

P.S.: Jethro is an L118A
    Last edited by Tractor_Barbie; 04-23-2019 at 08:58 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tractor_Barbie View Post
    Jethro had a blow-out today. It was not a pretty sight, but at least I didn't total him, unlike my poor SUV recently. So, I've been shopping Amazon for a set of 4 new tires. I know the sizes I need, but can't decide which brand to buy (Carlisle, Marastar, or Antego). Also, I plan to lift Jethro with my car floor jack (swapping out one wheel at a time). Where do I place it under him (front and rear) and how do I remove the center caps (can't get 'em to pull off and don't wanna break a nail, heaven forbid)?

P.S.: Jethro is an L118A
    Carlisle has always been a good brand to me, just my opinion. Never heard of the others.

The center caps usually push back through when the wheel is off. I am not familiar with a L118A but most car or other center caps have a lip that is captured between the hub and rim. The owners manual should say where to jack from but in the back I would use the frame and access the frame from the back. Jack on the same side as the wheel. In the front use the front axle if possible.
    MDrew, SulleyBear, TJR345 and 1 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:10 PM
    Thanks
    The back tires won't be bad to change,the fronts can be a bugger.Breaking the bead is one part.I used a couple of C clamps to break the bead.You may have to take them to a shop if you don't have a good compressor to seat the new ones.
    As for the caps they should just pull off with a little twisting.Get new valve stems too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1190.JPG  
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 05:48 AM
    Thanks

Find solid steel to lift

Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    The back tires won't be bad to change,the fronts can be a bugger.Breaking the bead is one part.I used a couple of C clamps to break the bead.You may have to take them to a shop if you don't have a good compressor to seat the new ones.
    As for the caps they should just pull off with a little twisting.Get new valve stems too.
    You always want to find something as thick and solid as possible as a lift point. There's nothing worse than trying to fix one problem and causing another by crinkling sheet metal because it wasn't strong enough to be a lift point.

I'll second the above posts about a lawn mower tire being a pita to change. I'd much rather change a larger tire than a lawnmower tire. The last one I had to change, I took it to a shop and they couldn't get it seated. I felt sorry for them after they fought it for too long so I brought it home and used multiple ratchet straps to get the bead to seat. I was pretty close to filling up the tire with propane and torching it off but didn't have to do that.

Unless you are just dead set on doing it yourself, I'd take it to a tire shop and let them change the tire. They have the tool to pull the new valve stem through, a blast tank which hopefully will seat the bead and in most cases can do it more quickly and easily than you can.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    On the back end, you can just place the jack right under the hitch point. For the front you'll have to poke around and find a section of frame to get under.

Most of the 100-series machines come with either Carlisle or Kenda brand turf tires. I just swapped out the rear tires on my D160 with a set of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Tractor_Barbie likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    On the back end, you can just place the jack right under the hitch point. For the front you'll have to poke around and find a section of frame to get under.

Most of the 100-series machines come with either Carlisle or Kenda brand turf tires. I just swapped out the rear tires on my D160 with a set of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Why use such an aggressive tire on a D160??
    JD X580
    JD 48" blade, JD 30 tiller, JD tractor mounted electric spreader, JD hydraulic sleeve hitch. 48" deck
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Rear electrical junction box with external rear LED lighting
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" towable chipper

Vietnam Veteran

And a smile every time I sit in the seat.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBL View Post
    Why use such an aggressive tire on a D160??
    I have a hill in my side yard that is about a 35 degree slope and it's covered in moss. The turf treads that came on the machine just spin if I try to go up that hill. I looked for HDAPs for over a year but apparently the D160 uses an odd-ball tire size (22x9.5-12) and those were the only other tires I could find that would fit.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    07-10-2019 @ 11:05 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I have a hill in my side yard that is about a 35 degree slope and it's covered in moss. The turf treads that came on the machine just spin if I try to go up that hill. I looked for HDAPs for over a year but apparently the D160 uses an odd-ball tire size (22x9.5-12) and those were the only other tires I could find that would fit.

I’d be looking to trade it that D160- relatively soon. A 35 degree slope is very dicey long term for a k46 tranny. And the turf tires sort of protected you, they broke traction before you could harm the K46- with aggressive tires, traction won’t be broken as easily, putting tremendous strain on your tranny. A steep slope and aggressive tires is not a good recipe for a K46

Get something with at least a K58, if not more
    Firewood Bandit likes this.
    John Deere X590- 47 inch Snow blower

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, guys! Luckily, I won't be messing with beads or valve stems because I'm buying a full set of tire assemblies. Yup, we're talking easy peasy. I'm still recovering from my injuries in the car wreck, so I can't put any excess pressure on my upper-body anyway. The best part is that now I won't have to scrub my old wheels to get them clean.

Oh, I forgot to ask whether my wheels are centered or offset. If offset, by how much? Also, I just ordered new dust caps in case I have to tin-snip my old ones off. Other than snap rings (none in stock), is there anything else I should buy for my new tire/wheel install?

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    [Are] my wheels are centered or offset[?]. If offset, by how much?
    The front wheels have a 3” offset and the rear wheels have a 3.5” offset. All have a 3/4" bore.

Other than snap rings (none in stock), is there anything else I should buy for my new tire/wheel install?
    Just grease and tools, which you already have.
    SulleyBear likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast