Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: New to me X758

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:04 AM
    Thanks

New to me X758

I pick up a new to me X758 this past weekend to replace my former 445. The big thing I was looking for was an AWD drive model, but it didnít necessarily have to be such a new model. I was content with either an X728 or an X748, but it was hard to pass up the deal. Itís a 2017 model with about 150hrs, 54HC deck, 54Ē plow, wheel weights, suitcase weights, and click ní go weight bracket. Still has 2 years of factory warranty remaining.

I got a chance to get it out and cut fields for about 3 hours on Saturday. The 445 I had was no slouch, I was very happy with that machine, but this x758 just blows it away in most ways. The biggest thing I noticed was the difference in power. While the 445 w/ the HD 60 had no problem cutting 1.5-2í tall grass, you could definitely hear the pitch of the engine and the mower change as it was being worked, and you would have to decrease ground speed. With the X758 it just went right through 1.5í tall grass without the engine ever sounding like it was working and with only a minimal decrease in ground speed. It felt like it was cutting 3Ē tall grass. The 54HC deck even left an excellent cut after 1 pass. Typically, with the HD60 I would have to make two passes to get it all level. Overall, I thought the 54HC deck left a beautiful cut, and I was satisfied with the cut the HD60 left. I did have to stop at least twice to clean the radiator screen out. I kept keeping an eye on the temp bar on the gauge and once it hit 4 bars I knew it was time to clean it. Itís amazing how much air that engine pulls compared to the 445. Fuel economy seems to be good, although the gauge seems pretty sensitive as at one point it was flashing that I was low on fuel after only about 2 hours of cutting and I had filled it full prior to starting. Iíll have to refill the tank and see how much it takes to see how accurate the gauge is. Once I got back on level ground then it showed there being more in the tank.

Thoughts...
    I like the cut the 54HC gives but having the 60HC would be better because of the extra width. Iím almost hesitant to go with a 60HC though since Iím pretty happy with the cut on the 54HC, and I can also move a lot faster on this tractor than I could with the 445 and still achieve an excellent cut. The HC decks definitely cause more clippings to end up on the tractor though compared to the HD60. I noticed build up of small clippings on the right rear wheel, on the fender pan and under the floor boards of the X758 that wouldnít easily come off with a leaf blower. I think if the deflector on the deck had a rear lip and wasnít just open than that might solve the issue. It sure is nice though to be able to quickly uninstall/reinstall the deck to clean it out after mowing.

I like the new X series seat, I just need to order some arm rests for it. Any thoughts on the air ride seat upgrade? Armrests are two hundred. Without buying those and then selling my old seat, it would probably only cost me a couple hundred to upgrade to the air ride. I like the air ride in my 3039r, but it may not be worth it on the X758.

While I love diesels, Iíve never been a fan of how JD sets the exhaust up to exit on the lower front of the machines. This just makes exhaust blow back in your face and your constantly breathing it. I may seriously look at fabbing some sort of vertical exhaust. Iím going to install a 45 degree silicone elbow in the meantime to see if I can direct it right out to the side. Weíll see how that works.

I already went ahead and ordered the 3 point, and the conversion kit was delivered yesterday. Itís unfortunate how the install isnít as simple as the old 445 was, but it doesnít seem like itís too terrible.

I've got a few other upgrades in mind like the front deck roller and front fenders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9779.JPG IMG_9794.JPG IMG_9795.JPG IMG_9796.JPG
    2017 JD X758 54HC deck, 54" front blade, Reugg Cat1 3pt, & Front Fenders
    2018 JD 3039r Deluxe Cab w/ Air Ride Seat & Mid PTO, 320r Loader w/ HD bucket, 72D deck, Horst Forks, Ballast Box, Landpride FDR 2584

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Thanks
    I have the 60HC on my x758. I haven't been able to get it to level very well and it is probably due to the width causing edges to lift or dig in. Mine cuts decently when it is mostly grass but during dandelion season it can leave things pretty ragged.

I have armrests and I find little use for them. They're too high for my taste and I tend to have arm either down on the fender handle or holding a beer while I'm mowing so I mostly never use them.

You probably don't need all that ballast on your tractor for mowing. The x758 is pretty heavy to start with and with HDAP tires and AWD the traction is fantastic. I have fairly soft black dirt under my lawn and when the ground is wet my tractor tends to leave some slight ruts. You can't really see them but if you mow perpendicular you'll feel them.

Overall the x758 is a fantastic tractor and does all core tractor functions as well as I expect a premium GT to do. It is the implements that are disappointing to me (snowblower and mower).

Rob
    KDNitz, so.fulton and Dr Kubar like this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigBlue For This Useful Post:

greencat†(04-27-2019), WH401†(04-25-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    I have the 60HC on my x758. I haven't been able to get it to level very well and it is probably due to the width causing edges to lift or dig in. Mine cuts decently when it is mostly grass but during dandelion season it can leave things pretty ragged.

I have armrests and I find little use for them. They're too high for my taste and I tend to have arm either down on the fender handle or holding a beer while I'm mowing so I mostly never use them.

You probably don't need all that ballast on your tractor for mowing. The x758 is pretty heavy to start with and with HDAP tires and AWD the traction is fantastic. I have fairly soft black dirt under my lawn and when the ground is wet my tractor tends to leave some slight ruts. You can't really see them but if you mow perpendicular you'll feel them.

Overall the x758 is a fantastic tractor and does all core tractor functions as well as I expect a premium GT to do. It is the implements that are disappointing to me (snowblower and mower).

Rob
    I need to re-lever my deck as well. Right now the cut heights are off as far as what the knob says. Just under 4" on the knob is more like right at 3" in reality. But at the moment the rear of my deck is running about a 1/2" higher than the front.

I agree, I didn't run any of that extra weight while I was mowing as I figured it was just unnecessary weight for the tractor to carry. I pulled the wheel weights off right after the picture was taken as I was worried they may scar up the paint on the wheels. I think I may pick up a set of start weights for the wheels, that way the 50lb'rs won't be mounted on the surface of the wheel.

Rick
    2018 JD 3039r Deluxe Cab w/ Air Ride Seat & Mid PTO, 320r Loader w/ HD bucket, 72D deck, Horst Forks, Ballast Box, Landpride FDR 2584

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:47 PM
    Thanks
    Congrats on the new ride!

I made a similar jump, from a 445 to a x750...with a slight 13 year gap in between (while I lived in suburb on a small postage-sized-lot).

Loved my 445 and actually looked at a few when we moved back to acreage last summer. But the hours were high on most...and that diesel just spoke to me : )

Lucky to find a gently used x750 with just 79 hours on it.

I too had challenges with my deck (60HC), but discovered it needed to be leveled. Seems to be working great now. I'd rather have a 54" deck, but I'll stick with the 60".

I have mowed twice this season, and surpassed the 100 hour mark...wife laughs at me every time I mow. Says I have this stupid grin on my face the entire time! HA!

Enjoy!
    TJR345, so.fulton and Spectre like this.
    2015 John Deere x750, 60" HC Deck
    1979 Lawn-Boy 7268 ("Frank")
    2007 Lawn-Boy 10797 ("Sally")

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DaubsNU1 For This Useful Post:

WH401†(04-25-2019)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    Congrats on the new machine.

The deck size is going to play a factor in cut quality. A smaller deck will always produce a better cut on an uneven ground but the trade off is more passes. I noticed this when going from the 54C on my X585 to the 60 on my Z950R. I am not mowing a pro baseball field or golf course so I don't really care, for me speed was the factor over quality which is why I went Ztrak with a bigger deck. Deck leveling helps but no amount of leveling matters when I cut my ditch. It is going to scalp on the outer edges of the deck and it will be long in the middle.

You have a good find there.
    SulleyBear and Dr Kubar like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

WH401†(04-25-2019)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 02:57 PM
    Thanks
    Nice looking machine
    SulleyBear and Spectre like this.
    "It's not how fast you mow, it's how well you mow fast"

X590
    X540

12. The Following User Says Thank You to darkrt For This Useful Post:

WH401†(04-25-2019)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Haven't used a 758 but the 738 is a nice machine.

As you stated one think , the fuel gauge is a PIA. When mowing on hills or slopes , it will show low fuel light, came down to level area and it isn't low. The first few times this happened I would come back to garage and add gas. The one time I think I may have added a gallon of gas.
    SulleyBear and so.fulton like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to etcallhome For This Useful Post:

WH401†(04-25-2019)

15. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Haven't used a 758 but the 738 is a nice machine.

As you stated one think , the fuel gauge is a PIA. When mowing on hills or slopes , it will show low fuel light, came down to level area and it isn't low. The first few times this happened I would come back to garage and add gas. The one time I think I may have added a gallon of gas.
    My 1987 JD 175 Hydro did the exact same thing... when mowing across a hill it would illuminate the low fuel indicator. The fuel gauge on my current X500 also seems to be overly sensitive to the pitch and roll movements of the tractor.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

WH401†(04-25-2019)

17. Top | #9
    Last Online
    07-13-2019 @ 01:56 PM
    Thanks
    Congrats on the new machine! I’m sure you will really enjoy using it.

I learned my lesson regarding the funky fuel gauge too. Now I tend to pretty much ignore it.
    Last edited by so.fulton; 04-25-2019 at 08:25 AM.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    Michael

2018 X738 w/54Ē deck
    3 PH/17P Cart/Tow behind A-F Spreader/Tow behind 31 gal Sprayer
    Land Pride Core Aerator, Box Blade, and Quick Hitch

18. The Following User Says Thank You to so.fulton For This Useful Post:

WH401†(04-25-2019)

19. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Here's the new exhaust tip, a 45 degree piece of silicone good for 500 degrees. So far in quick testing it definitely cuts down on the fumes. You have to lean over the right side of the tractor to pick any up, to point that the tractor will cut off from the seat switch. We'll see how it holds up to mowing.

Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9833_1556233319109.JPG IMG_9834_1556233334842.JPG

20. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast