Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: X495 Deck lift mechanism wear and tear

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:27 PM
    Thanks

X495 Deck lift mechanism wear and tear

I picked up a used X495 with 650ish hours. I noticed it was scalping spots and cutting very low when at the same setting as the X300 series I used to have. On inspection, I found that:

1. The deck did indeed measure lower than it should
    2. The deck wasn't level, with the left side lower than the the right
    3. The left side eyebolt (18 in the diagram) was welded to the yoke (16)
    4. Threads on the right-side eyebolt were pretty banged up though working
    5. Both were at or close to the upper-most end of the threads

Click image for larger version.

Name:	Lift_parts.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	683796

Left side:

Name:	eyebolt_left.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	683798

Right Side:

Name:	eyebolt_right.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	683800

Obviously to level this deck and to increase the height I need to replace the welded on. But with them at the top of the adjustment I don't think there's enough adjustment left to fix my problem.

So my questions are:

1. What caused the damage?
    2. Why would these be at the end of their adjustment range with the deck still low?
    3. Do you think it'd work to thread both eyebolts (once I get a new one of course) further to give more adjustment?

I look forward to your wisdom!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Thanks
    Guy, Let me start out by saying I'm not all all familiar with the X495 deck...or tractor! But looking at the mechanics of things on other decks, I'd say the previous owner had no idea of how to level a deck or that there's an adjustment called a "depth stop" ! I'd replace both eye bolts and 1 yoke. You could add check/lock nuts to the eye bolts, but it appears they're not going to rotate once everything is connected.

Install the new parts and set your depth stop for the height you want. Level your deck side to side, and then front to rear. Adjust front to rear so front of deck is 1/4" lower than rear. Then, mow your lawn! Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I've already ordered two bolts and two yokes and I agree that the bolt won't turn once installed.

I took a look at the depth stop (the stepped spiral thing) and it appears to be working as it should. It's just that when I set the height to 2.5" the deck is lower than it should be and not level and there's no upward adjustment left.

I'm trying to figure out why there's no adjustment left, why the bolts were damaged (figuring it's related), and if there's some other part that I should check for damage.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Thanks
    You going to have to dig into the parts site and get captures of the lift mechanism it will involves 4 pages and the parts list. It could be anything from the height adjuster (worn/broken), to the lift shaft (middle), rock shaft (rear). You might have to invest in the TM also.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Thanks
    I think you are on the right track. Also check item 12 for wear. Mostly where the deck pins attach.
    As a side note.. The numbers on the deck adjusting knob do not mean inches. It is mearly a reference number. We try to set our decks at 3 and then adjust to 3 inches just so we dont catch hell from customers.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:06 PM
    Thanks
    The wear could be from normal use, from vibration caused by a bad belt or bearings, or the deck could have been hung on something one or more times and the mounting points and/or draft arms could be out of shape. You may want to pull the deck and look everything over really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. I picked up the parts today and will get them installed. I'll look over the other things while I'm in there.

I have pulled the deck and it look very good. No bad bearings, belts, pulleys, etc. The gear box worked well and was full of oil. This thing doesn't seem to have been used very hard which is why I bought it.

I read someone else saying that stepping on the mower deck is a common cause of this sort of thing. I can see that with the 62" deck. It's sort of in the way.

Keep the ideas coming and I'll keep looking!
    TJR345 likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:51 AM
    Thanks
    Had a similar problem with my x595 when I got it used.Causes,using the deck as a step (left side weld) to get on and off.Bumpy ground.That deck is heavy and if your driving around your yard (when not mowing) and that deck is bouncing it wears on those fine threads and then it won't hold the adjustment.I replaced the yoke and bolt on both sides and it's been fine since.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok, had a little time to spend in the shop this evening. First I noticed this when I picked up the new parts...

Clearly one is not like the others. The two gold-ish ones are the originals. The JD dealership assured me that the welded one is a wrong part. The silver one is the new part.

Name:	three_eyebolts.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	683836

I got everything installed, tweaked the height about 4,234,000,000 times. ;) I'm now pretty sure it's level and at the overall height I expect. At 2 I get the blades just touching a 2" wood-block on left and right. Pretty sure I have the front a bit lower than the rear. That was pretty hard for me to check.

Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc
    I think you are on the right track. Also check item 12 for wear. Mostly where the deck pins attach.
    As a side note.. The numbers on the deck adjusting knob do not mean inches. It is mearly a reference number. We try to set our decks at 3 and then adjust to 3 inches just so we dont catch hell from customers.
    I believe you that the numbers aren't meant to mean inches but this is how my old deck was so it's what I'm used to. In other words, I'm that customer

Quote Originally Posted by ss313
    The wear could be from normal use, from vibration caused by a bad belt or bearings, or the deck could have been hung on something one or more times and the mounting points and/or draft arms could be out of shape. You may want to pull the deck and look everything over really good.
    Both of you were right on target. The draft arms were worn where the yoke attaches and the lower side of the "forks" where it catches and supports the deck.

All in all I think I have a working system now, no welds, and correct parts...at least where I've touched it. It may need some draft arms down the road but it's not a critical issue yet.

Thanks again everyone!
    Last edited by Virtual_Guy; 04-30-2019 at 09:53 PM.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    Had a similar problem with my x595 when I got it used.Causes,using the deck as a step (left side weld) to get on and off.Bumpy ground.That deck is heavy and if your driving around your yard (when not mowing) and that deck is bouncing it wears on those fine threads and then it won't hold the adjustment.I replaced the yoke and bolt on both sides and it's been fine since.
    Yeah it looks like that may be the case with mine. It is a heavy SOB and sort of gets in the way with getting on/off the tractor. I'll definitely avoid using it as a step though.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast