Like Tree13Likes

Thread: JD 455 tractor engine sounds like marbles rattling

1. Top | #1
    arm
    Last Online
    07-13-2019 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks

JD 455 tractor engine sounds like marbles rattling

I can't put a finger on this. Tractor runs well but, the rattle sounds is a little more than I can stand. I've been all over this with a stethoscope and can't seem to locate it. Is this just a normal sound from a 455 tractor? My 650 and 750 are very quiet compared to this. Any thoughts ? Tractor only has 918 hours on it.
    Last edited by arm; 05-03-2019 at 07:09 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arm View Post
    I can't put a finger on this. Tractor runs well but, the rattle sounds is a little more than I can stand. I've been all over this with a stethoscope and can't seem to locate it. Is this just a normal sound from a 455 tractor? My 650 and 750 are very quiet compared to this. Any thoughts ? Tractor only has 918 hours on it.
    Are you talking about just at idle? Does the rattle diminish as the RPM's increase?

There is a cap on the injector pump to prevent it from being adjusted without removing this "cover" and that is often some of the rattle noise.

Also, I have a 455 and a new 1025r and I wish my 1025r was as quiet in the rattle department as is the 455......
    kylew likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,153 Times in 2,521 Posts
    Can you post a video of the noise?
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    arm
    Last Online
    07-13-2019 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    I can't post a video, I'm pretty much old school. This thing is driving me to the loony bin. When I am getting ready to mow, I always choose the 650, sounds like a diesel should. Sad it is, because the 455 AWS was to be my go to for chores around here. Some say that's how it is, I just can't buy that. Something is amiss, just can't figure it out. After using it for an hour or so it is just as loud or more, no warning lights etc. It does get better when I apply full power, disengage the PTO and, that rattle is back. I'm ready to park it, let it live in the dark tractor shed....alone.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Thanks
    I think you need to look else besides the engine, look at all the body mounts/isolators, engine motor mounts, fan and fan shroud. The tractor was produced from 1992 - 2001 (so it is anywhere from 18 - 27 years old)

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Thanks
    disengage the PTO and, that rattle is back... Could be your problem. I'm not familiar with the 455, but the pto air gap was a the large side and the front pulley would rattle when the pto was disengaged. Bob
    TJR345 likes this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,561 Times in 977 Posts
    Is the engine running at proper operating temperature? If it's been running too cold you might be accumulating carbon in the combustion chambers that can cause noise in a diesel. You might need a thermostat and coolant service.

You may want to run a good fuel supplement for a couple of tanks of fuel. Something that's designed to clean injectors and carbon like Seafoam or Power Service Diesel Kleen.
    DRobinson and TJR345 like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    disengage the PTO and, that rattle is back... Could be your problem. I'm not familiar with the 455, but the pto air gap was a the large side and the front pulley would rattle when the pto was disengaged. Bob
    It’s a wet clutch pto in the transaxle.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rydplrs For This Useful Post:

rwmeyer (05-04-2019)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arm View Post
    I can't post a video, I'm pretty much old school. This thing is driving me to the loony bin. When I am getting ready to mow, I always choose the 650, sounds like a diesel should. Sad it is, because the 455 AWS was to be my go to for chores around here. Some say that's how it is, I just can't buy that. Something is amiss, just can't figure it out. After using it for an hour or so it is just as loud or more, no warning lights etc. It does get better when I apply full power, disengage the PTO and, that rattle is back. I'm ready to park it, let it live in the dark tractor shed....alone.
    How long have you had the tractor? When did you start noticing the noise, after a certain number of hours or has it always had the noise and it just seems worse? If the noise is new to the tractor and you can't locate it, I would consider possibly its a fuel issue.

The older diesels were not designed to run on the Ultra Low Sulfar Diesel (ULSD) which is now sold. The ULSD has much lower lubrication qualities because of the removal of the sulfur. Also, any blend of Biodiesel has much more "moisture in suspense" which is water, in the fuel because its made from animal fats and grains. The amount of "moisture in suspense" in the biodiesel is 10 TIMES that in the petroleum diesel blends.

If the rattle was a valve train component, it would get louder the faster the engine speed and wouldn't go away. If you can't pin down the noise to a specific component of the tractor and it goes away with higher RPM's, I would;

1. Run a double dose of Howe's "Meaner Diesel Kleener" through the fuel system by adding to your fuel . It will clean injectors and really help clean up the pistons and valve carbon build up. I run it at 2 ounces per gallon of diesel fuel to perform a "heavy clean". It won't hurt a thing to run too much verses too little of the cleaner. It cleans from the fuel tank to the exhaust pipe.

2. Treat all of your diesel fuel year around, with a good all season diesel treatment product which helps increase the cetane, helps make sure any moisture is separated, adds lubrication to the fuel and the products clean the injectors and injector pump.

Make sure to always use diesel fuel treatment products which contain NO ALCOHOL or ALCOHOL family products (that have names which usually end in an "ol") You want to make sure the treatment is a "de-emulsifier", which means it separates the water and moisture from the fuel and it does NOT force the water to go through the combustion chamber.

Many products are "fuel emulsifiers" which means it binds the water to the fuel so the water goes through the engine and is "turned to steam". Water is very abrasive and its hard on diesel engines, which is why the engines have water separators and fuel filters to catch the water. If you run an "emulsifier" product, it will make sure to defeat the water separator and it also makes it harder to filter out the moisture and water.

Any diesel treatment product with any type of alcohol or related alcohol products should be avoided. Water will actually wear the end of injectors not to mention damage the injector pump, etc. It's always best to get water OUT of the fuel and not run it through the engine. But there are a number of products which are designed to run the water through the engine because its "easier" than dealing with fuel separators, fuel filters, etc.

Good "de-emulsifier" products include, but are not limited to these;

Stanadyne Diesel Fuel Additive
    Howes Diesel Treat

My 455 has always had a "diesel rattle" which is noticeable at idle and low RpM's and I have had it since new and its now at 3,000 plus hours. When I get the engine up in 25% throttle to the PTO operating range, it sounds fine. When I don't treat the ULSD fuel, the tractor smokes more and rattles louder in the same RPM ranges.

Many, many have posted comments about the newer diesel Yanmar's all have the "rattle", especially compared to older diesel models. Many owners of the newer tractors are surprised at how fast the engines idle, 1,650 RPMS, compared to the older Yanmar's and how much louder the engine noise is in the newer diesels. No question that the older the diesel engine in the Yanmar series, the less of a "rattle" it seems to have. If you are used to the 650 and the 750 diesel sounds, the 455 would seem louder.

The 455 engine has an excellent reputation for reliability. Very few actual engine issues with many of the little Yanmar engines. Its extremely common for those engines to go 3,000 to 4,000 hours and other than oil changes, nothing else is done to the actual engine. I have owned and worked on over a dozen 455's and every one of the engines has that "rattle" at low RPM's, usually idle speed through about 25% throttle. Then the rattle sound goes away as the RPM's increase.
    kylew likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:33 AM
    Thanks
    When I received my first 455, it had an usual rattle that I would hear at idle. I was rather alarmed about it. I finally found some time to identify it. It was the clevis pin that retains the Thatcher handle, in the handle support upright. The Thatcher wasn't mounted and the clevis pin was stored in the support upright with no load upon it. It was amazing how much noise it would make rattling in the upright holes!
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast