Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By XSKIER

Thread: X738 vs Walker

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-07-2019 @ 11:20 PM
    Thanks

X738 vs Walker

Hello all. My wife and I are in the market for a lawn mower. We primarily want a great cut for our slightly hilly yard, and, if possible, we would prefer mulching and avoid having to bag our clippings. We are torn between products from two different dealers. Our local JD dealer gave us a very attractive offer on an X738 with a snowblower attachment, 54” deck, and mulching kit. A different dealer is offering a Walker B21i. Did any of you debate between Walkers and John Deere? I love the versatility offered by the JD, and the price difference is not enough to sway it one way or another. I’m leaning towards the X738. What do you think? Are we making the right choice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks
    What's the snowblower for the Walker like?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    t2timmy likes this.
    '11 1026R

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:37 PM
    Thanks
    Buy the Deere!! You wont be dissapointed. Much more fun to ride then walk in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 1025r - Amazing Machine!
    1969 112 - May need a rebuild

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by XSKIER View Post
    What's the snowblower for the Walker like?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    That is one of the key distinctions. Our Walker dealer does not believe the snowblower would work for us. We have a rather short, steep driveway. He does not recommend the snowblower attachment because of that.

From everything I’ve read on here, it seems like the X738 owners agree with my JD sales person. The AWD should work much better. And if the tractor slides, there are always chains.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t2timmy View Post
    Buy the Deere!! You wont be dissapointed. Much more fun to ride then walk in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m definitely leaning that way. Quick note: the Walker model we are looking at does allow sitting. But it didn’t feel as comfortable as my brief time on the X738.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:11 PM
    Thanks
    Yep AWD all the way. I have a very steep property and my x738 runs around like a Billy goat.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-27-2019 @ 11:11 PM
    Thanks
    I looked around at a few Walker mowers.

Walker is a mower that excels at the manicured lawn. Even to the extent that some of these Walker dealers will come to your house or "place of cut" and show you how the varied cuts of these mowers look on your lawn (and there are variances among them and the different setups on their mowers). If you're persnickety to the Nth degree about quality of cut as being the most important aspect of your purchase and machine, Walkers are really hard to beat, and they will bend over backwards to get you what you want in this regard (particularly if they are doing what Walker dealers are supposed to do).....really seriously good machines......

......but......

......where John Deere seems to excel is that "do it all for the more typical good sized property owner" aspect. If you want a machine that cuts, snowblows, bags, and gives you other tractor options (tilling etc) then the JD stuff becomes the much more attractive option, because you can package a complete setup that can and will do all of this for you. But when I started this search I was shown and told that some manufacturers are really good at the specific specialty of cutting grass (Grasshopper is also in this category) and Walkers and Wrights got a good amount of mention, but I ended up going the JD route because while I DO want a good cut (but maybe not Augusta National Golf Club sorta anal about it) I also want a machine that can tackle the other stuff with a good degree of reliability for the more typical homeowner, so JD seemed to be the much more rational choice for me.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements