Green Tractor Talk banner

trying to help a friend

886 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BigJim55 
#1 ·
this friend has a jd sx38 something not even sure this is right size of machine.:dunno:it was given to him by someone in his family.

first he thought it was a jd 318 till i told him it should have a clear tube on right back side of rearend housing.

he is trying to fine out where u check the oil at for the rearend at. in them little rear ends is their even a place to check the oil at?
i'm thinking i have read on here about these small rear ends that have had trouble over the yrs of getting hot and just up and quiting.:dunno:

tomorrow i'm hoping to see this little mower in person, to verify just what model it is for sure. just thought i would post this to see if these little tractors even have a place to check the oil in the rear ends.

Reactions: etcallhome
#2 ·
The little I've learned recently......a 318 would hold oil/serviceable.

Anything newer/smaller/whatever sharing a similar # may be a through-away type rear end.

Just spitballing...Its sad that some are built this way for the money one pays...:banghead:

#3 ·
A 318 and a STX are totally different machines, one (the 318) is a heavy duty garden tractor with a horizontal twin cylinder engine with power steering, dual hydraulics, turning brakes, and hydrostatic shaft driven transmission, while the other is a light duty lawn tractor with a vertical shaft engine, no power steering, manual lift, and will either have a belt driven gear drive or a belt driven hydrostatic drive transmission (Deere made both of the STX).

#4 ·
no not a 318 for sure-friend got confused as he's in his mid 70's. it is the 38 something. his problem is he cannot find where to check the oil in tranny and rear end at. is there a plug u can pull to check it at-or not. know nuthing about these models.

i have a 318 myself-got manuals for it -so know some about it. sorry for the mixup-ok

Reactions: etcallhome
#7 ·
darn i wished he would of showed where u check how much oil is in it.:banghead: but at least now i know where the filler tube is at on it. thanks gizmo2 for the video. hoping he brings it along with him today to my uncle and aunts place. said he was coming up to hunt this morning for turkey. so...........find out later.

Reactions: Gizmo2
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.