• 1 Post By jgayman
  • 1 Post By JimR

Thread: E130 PTO Lever Question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Thanks

Question E130 PTO Lever Question

Hello all, I have an E130 lawn tractor 42" deck. I am having in issue where when I engage the PTO leaver (push it up) the mower engages however when I take my hand off of the lever it wants to fall back down right away.

My question is does anyone know what keeps the lever in the up position? Is there a spring that I maybe missing under the hood?

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:06 PM
    Thanks
    The lever thing is new with the E100s AFAIK. All the previous D100-series models had a knob that you pulled up to activate a switch for the PTO. There must be some sort of pawl or spring to hold that lever in place once activated.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    The lever thing is new with the E100s AFAIK. All the previous D100-series models had a knob that you pulled up to activate a switch for the PTO. There must be some sort of pawl or spring to hold that lever in place once activated.
    Thanks for your reply! I think you are correct, and this was my thoughts as well. I believe on my machine I may have either lost the spring/pawl or it has come disconnected.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aboetto1 View Post
    Thanks for your reply! I think you are correct, and this was my thoughts as well. I believe on my machine I may have either lost the spring/pawl or it has come disconnected.
    You should be able to lift the hood and look under the dash. On the D100 machines it's all wide open under there.

I'm curious now how they setup that lever. It may just press against a switch when pushed fully forward and the switch itself may be out of position. I have to run to Lowe's today anyway so I'm going to peek under the hood on a few of these and see what they did.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,086 Posts
    It seems to vary. Most of the lower-end D, E, L and LA models have a mechanical engagement for the PTO whereas the mid and upper models within those series have an electric PTO.
    JimR likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    It seems to vary. Most of the lower-end D, E, L and LA models have a mechanical engagement for the PTO whereas the mid and upper models within those series have an electric PTO.

Right you are! It looks like the 130's and below had a lever and the 140s and up have the knob/switch. All this time I thought they were all the same!

Anyway, I looked at 2 E130s (and an E100) while I was at Lowe's. The lever has a huge spring on it under the hood. As the lever gets pushed up/forward there is an eccentric cam that swings around on the underside of the dash. The spring is tied to that cam and holds it in place. It's a pretty hefty spring at least 1/2" in diameter and 4" long and easily visible right under the dash/above the battery.

One thing I did notice that the the spring is tied to the cam with a hitch pin/R-pin pair. The cam itself pivots on a hitch pin too but none of the machines had an R-pin in them holding that hitch pin in place. That just seems like a problem waiting to happen. I wonder why Deere would skimp in a $.15 R-pin?
    D160 Mower/Bagger.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Right you are! It looks like the 130's and below had a lever and the 140s and up have the knob/switch. All this time I thought they were all the same!

Anyway, I looked at 2 E130s (and an E100) while I was at Lowe's. The lever has a huge spring on it under the hood. As the lever gets pushed up/forward there is an eccentric cam that swings around on the underside of the dash. The spring is tied to that cam and holds it in place. It's a pretty hefty spring at least 1/2" in diameter and 4" long and easily visible right under the dash/above the battery.

One thing I did notice that the the spring is tied to the cam with a hitch pin/R-pin pair. The cam itself pivots on a hitch pin too but none of the machines had an R-pin in them holding that hitch pin in place. That just seems like a problem waiting to happen. I wonder why Deere would skimp in a $.15 R-pin?
    Is #8 the spring you are referring to?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PTO_lever.jpg  
    JimR likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Is #8 the spring you are referring to?

You are correct again sir! (You're pretty good at this! )

Note that there are 2 hitch pins (#9) but only 1 R-pin (#7).
    jgayman likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements