• 4 Post By SulleyBear
  • 1 Post By rydplrs

Thread: New X350 mower blade question

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-01-2019 @ 10:36 PM
    Thanks

New X350 mower blade question

Hi Folks. Just bought a new x350 with the mulch kit add-on and hopper. I got both because I intend to mulch mow my Bermuda grass lawn, but at times I develop quite a bit of thatch which I intend to dethatch and pick up with the hopper. Anyway, I noticed on the JD website the there are 3 blade types, mulch, side discharge and bagging blades. Does anyone know what type of blade my mower will ship with? Im assuming it ships standard with side discharge and since I ordered the mulch kit I should also get mulch blades? I also noticed on the website I could use the mulch blades for side discharge? I’m confused.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:21 AM
    Thanks
    The mowers come with standard blades, if you get the mulch klt then you get mulch blades. The new systems have the manual or electric mulch plug that's why you can side discharge with the mulch blades.As for bagging when my dad got the x370 (no mulch kit) with the bagger he got standard and high lift blades for the bagger.
    Gizmo2, rydplrs, kylew and 1 others like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntfishcamp View Post
    Hi Folks. Just bought a new x350 with the mulch kit add-on and hopper. I got both because I intend to mulch mow my Bermuda grass lawn, but at times I develop quite a bit of thatch which I intend to dethatch and pick up with the hopper. Anyway, I noticed on the JD website the there are 3 blade types, mulch, side discharge and bagging blades. Does anyone know what type of blade my mower will ship with? Im assuming it ships standard with side discharge and since I ordered the mulch kit I should also get mulch blades? I also noticed on the website I could use the mulch blades for side discharge? I’m confused.
    The tractor normally comes with side-discharge blades. If you have the dealer install the bagger they "should" install the high lift bagging blades. The dealer should also give you the standard blades they took off.

If you intend to use the full time mulch kit (the one with the plastic baffles) you will want to use the dedicated mulching blades.

The mulching blades could probably be used for side discharge but they don't have much lift. There's really nothing to be gained because if you use the full time mulch kit (which is the one that works the best) you will need to remove the deck to remove the baffles for side discharge so you might as well swap blades at the same time.

I don't use a bagger and installed the full time mulch kit on my X500 back when I bought it and I never take it off. No need to. It does a fantastic job of mulching.
    kylew and JD4044M like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntfishcamp View Post
    Hi Folks. Just bought a new x350 with the mulch kit add-on and hopper. I got both because I intend to mulch mow my Bermuda grass lawn, but at times I develop quite a bit of thatch which I intend to dethatch and pick up with the hopper. Anyway, I noticed on the JD website the there are 3 blade types, mulch, side discharge and bagging blades. Does anyone know what type of blade my mower will ship with? Im assuming it ships standard with side discharge and since I ordered the mulch kit I should also get mulch blades? I also noticed on the website I could use the mulch blades for side discharge? Iím confused.
    A properly working mulch kit cuts down on the thatch because the clippings are properly mulched into the yard. Thatch is generally just either excess regular clippings or grass clipping which are long when cut, which are left behind from mower discharge and they build over time. A certain amount of thatch can be helpful in keeping moisture in the lawn during high heat times, but it shouldn't ever be visible as dead grass, which is when its best to run the de-thatcher on the lawn and either bag the thatch or blow the clippings off the lawn.

I like to use the wheel blower on the JRBuggy to clean the lawn and deal with the excess clippings. The blower will remove the dead grass and not damage the lawn roots like a de-thatcher rake can, especially fragile newer grass growth.

It seems to really help thicken the lawn over time, especially when used with a regular lawn feeding system and at least annual core aeration.

Mowing in a different direction each cutting helps to also control the thatch and clippings issue as the mower is approaching the lawn at ever changing angles. This provides better distribution of the mulch created by the mulching blades and deck system. Also, run the mower at WOT when mowing and mulching as the PTO speed is directly correlated to blade tip speed. Blade tip speed and sharp blades are critical for the proper cutting and mulching processes.

A lawn which is cut at varying directions, blades kept sharp, good mulching kit used and the grass is not allowed to get too long between cuttings will use the bagging system very rarely. In such a case, usually the baggers are needed most for fall leaf cleanup and not often during the lawn cutting season.

WHen a freshly cut lawn has a "white look" to the surface, its important to look closely at the grass and make sure the blades aren't "tearing" the grass tips, as this leads to lawn disease and excess thatch as the clippings aren't being cut correctly nor mulched properly. The other reason the grass can have a "white look" to the lawn is excessive thatch. In either case, they are signs of adjustments which need to be made.

Bottom line, I like mowing with the lift style blades as it helps to stand the grass to cut it straighter and they also tend to help cut down the clippings even finer when discharged, verses "regular blades". Regular blades tend to leave longer grass clippings on the surface, which turns into thatch over time.
    Jeff R., TJR345, kylew and 1 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-01-2019 @ 02:33 PM
    Thanks
    ^^^really???^^^ thatch build up from cut grass clippings is very, very minimal to the point of almost non-existent.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subdivisionbigdog View Post
    ^^^really???^^^ thatch build up from cut grass clippings is very, very minimal to the point of almost non-existent.
    That completely depends on the lawn thatís being cut.
    kylew likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-01-2019 @ 10:36 PM
    Thanks
    So I think the thatch situation was caused by two things: a crappy push mower I’ve had thus far but also we had some torrential rains in the spring that washed the thatch to certain parts of my lawn.

As it turns out, I’m going to run the dethatcher and try to remulch the lawn with a much better mower and hope that I can disperse the situation that way.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    05-27-2019 @ 05:50 PM
    Thanks
    Yes, as stated, you will get the standard side discharge blades with the mower. I just bought a new X390 a few weeks ago and requested the mulch kit NOT be installed since I would rather do it myself and yes I did get the mulch blades with the kit. This way I know I have my original blades which I would have used with the bagging system if I had it installed. Good luck with the X350...a nice mower and my previous machine.
    2003 L120 48"
    2019 X390 48"
    2016 1025R FEL w/60" MMM

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    07-10-2019 @ 11:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thatch build up is caused almost entirely from too much water or over fertilizing. The grass root and stems are growing faster than it can decompose. In my lawn I have to be careful of that, since I water a lot as well as fertilize the front lawn in order to dominate my neighbors with best looking lawn in the subdivision ;) Thatching a lawn is very stressful on lawn so you only want to 'thatch" if the lawn really needs it
    John Deere X590- 47 inch Snow blower

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements