Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: D105 auto won't move

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 09:06 AM
    Thanks

D105 auto won't move

I bought one in 2014 and have 111 hours on it. Yesterday I was giving the yard its first cut with it for this season and I stopped for a bit and when I went back to finish it would not move in either direction.

Any other users here have the same problem? Could there be something other than the transmission that is wrong? I bought this at a JD dealership and the service manager seems kind of

sheepish and wants the vin number before he will talk about it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    The little rod (I can't remember what it's called) in the back of the tractor...make sure it is pushed in all the way. When it is pulled out, you are free-wheeling, which means that you can move the tractor by hand/push it, but the tranny doesn't work.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with piranha tooth bar and HLA Forks
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Thanks
    Take a look and see if you have a metal or plastic transaxle. Some lower base models have a variable gearing pulley that breaks off and needs replacing. Take a look at this video and see if you have the same setup. Disregard the humor, if it's not your cup of tea. This guy is a top notch mechanic and owns a mower shop. How To Replace A Variable Speed Pulley On A John Deere Plastic Transmission (D105) - YouTube
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmylh For This Useful Post:

BigJim55†(05-21-2019), odis†(05-21-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:18 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,315 Posts
    I would look under the pedal area of the platform to make sure the linkage didn't get disconnected, which is unlikely.

There is also a "Lever Kit" which moves the machine back and forth on top of the transmission which could be the issue, make sure to check that. Here is a link to the transmission page in the parts manual and it's item number 7 in the illustration.

John Deere Parts Catalog

There is also a drive belt kit and some other pieces to check which would prevent the machine from moving in either direction. You will see that there are few servicable items on the actual rear drive assembly and the transmission itself is priced at $372.14 and it is part number AUC11077 from Green Parts.

It's a common enough part that Amazon sells the entire rear transmission assembly, ready to install here

Amazon.com : General Transmissions Transaxle RT400 GT87137 : Garden Outdoor

Sadly, these machines are known for having a weak transmission and one which is prone to failure. The machines are real susceptible to failure if they are used to mow inclines or if the machine pulls anything of any weight or resistance.

The D105 use a transmission which is unique to those models which is made by General Transmission and is largely plastic gears and the unit is considered "Non Servicable",meaning the unit is supposedly factory sealed.

There are numerous videos and threads about working on these transmissions. Seems like there is a common gear failure, which if you can do the work yourself, makes the unit worth considering a rebuild. If you are going to need the dealer to repair the unit, make sure to get an estimate before you proceed as the labor costs along with the parts can sadly, make the cost to replace the transmission exceed the value of the machine for some.
    BigJim55 likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replys. I'm starting to get sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Once I get this thing operational I figure I'll figure out someone that I really dislike that wants a used lawn mower and sell it to them. This is the first real problem I've had with this machine, but all of the tires have had tubes put in them because of leaks from weather cracking. Plus it appears that one can not adjust the front alignment. Must have been designed and made for JD in some country named trashcanistan or cheapistan, I expect that from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools which is why I bought this from an authorized John Deere dealer. Plastic throw away tranny, unbelievable.
    BigJim55 and theduke like this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by odis View Post
    Thanks for the replys. I'm starting to get sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Once I get this thing operational I figure I'll figure out someone that I really dislike that wants a used lawn mower and sell it to them. This is the first real problem I've had with this machine, but all of the tires have had tubes put in them because of leaks from weather cracking. Plus it appears that one can not adjust the front alignment. Must have been designed and made for JD in some country named trashcanistan or cheapistan, I expect that from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools which is why I bought this from an authorized John Deere dealer. Plastic throw away tranny, unbelievable.
    It was designed for a price point. If you want quality and adjustability you need to open your wallet. One adjustable tierod end costs more then the draglink on these models.

As for weather cracks, how is the mower stored? Whatís the ground like under it? One member just replaced 25 year old 180 tires, itís also a riding mower, but cost more in 95 then a d105 does now without even figuring in inflation.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    It's a shame the quality isn't better now days, even though it is a low end model. I've got a Lowes branded riding mower made by American yard products I bought in 1994. It still runs and mows. It has a simple manual transmission. Nothing fancy but just goes and goes. I've replaced the drive belt just one time. Sorry to hear about your luck.
    BigJim55 likes this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    It was designed for a price point. If you want quality and adjustability you need to open your wallet. One adjustable tierod end costs more then the draglink on these models.

As for weather cracks, how is the mower stored? Whatís the ground like under it? One member just replaced 25 year old 180 tires, itís also a riding mower, but cost more in 95 then a d105 does now without even figuring in inflation.
    This mower has been stored either in my garage or in my machine shed. It has been outside only when in use. When I bought it I was aware that many name brand companies will market a cheap version of their products to big box stores and they should be avoided. Thats why I bought this mower at a dealership.
    BigJim55 likes this.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by odis View Post
    When I bought it I was aware that many name brand companies will market a cheap version of their products to big box stores and they should be avoided. Thats why I bought this mower at a dealership.
    I've been told the big box JD's are the exact same ones they sell at the dealership now.
    BigJim55 likes this.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 05:45 AM
    Thanks
    Odis, I can't prove or disprove this statement, only repeat what I've read online at various JD forums: If it says John Deere, it's made by John Deere. If you buy a D105 at Lowe's, Home Depot, Honest Joe's
    Surplus Tractors, or a John Deere dealership, it's the same tractor! JD doesn't make a different quality level based on the end seller...a D105 is a D105.

BTW, I was of the same opinion, box stores where a lower grade. I've been wrong before, and I'll probably be wrong again! Bob
    BigJim55 likes this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast