• 3 Post By PtJudeRI
  • 2 Post By fordgt40

Thread: From a meh cut to a gorgeous carpet cut

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 12:16 PM
    Thanks

Cool From a meh cut to a gorgeous carpet cut

Please excuse the length of this thread entry, but I wanted to tell this story right.

As some of you know, I bought a 2002 X585 in 2016 with a 54C deck. I have often read how owners are impressed with the cutting performance of the 54C. Before my first cut, as a good JD owner should do, I attempted to level the deck. I use the JD yellow leveling gauge and per spec try to adjust the side level and the front 1/8 to1/4 of an inch lower than the back. I noticed right off that getting the leveling right was a challenge. If I got the side to side about right, as soon as I tried to fix the front to rear height, the side to side would go out of whack. I finally got it close enough that I said that should work.

Well, my first season cutting (2016) I was underwhelmed. The cut wasn’t horrible, but it wasn’t great. Part way through the season I added the mulch kit. Again, my feeling was, “Meh.” While cutting, if the grass was over an inch above the cutting height when cut, I could expect to see windrows and logically, the deeper the grass, the larger the windrows. I was also getting a fair amount of blowout from under the front left corner of the deck which was annoying to say the least. Finally, after a cutting, if you looked out over my lawn, you could see numerous missed individual blades of grass rising up above the cut grass all over the lawn. I thought, “Well, this just must be how the 54C cuts.” I would learn that I was very wrong.

Last season (2018) while servicing the deck late in the season, I decide to relevel it and of course ran into the usual challenges I had been experiencing. This time I noticed something unusual. When I thought I had the deck about level, the front draft arms yoke was only making contact on the right front draft arm deck hook. See the photos.
    I thought, “Well I need to adjust the left side adjustment nuts on the yoke to pull the left side into contact.” Doing that, you probably guessed, threw the level all out of whack again. I tried several times and even tried switching which holes were used for the adjustment links off the rear draft arms in various combinations. Nope that did not correct the problem. So, I went back to the original set up and finished the season that way.

When winter arrived, I took the deck off in preparation for mounting the snow blower. Here is where I noticed something else. When I set the front draft yoke down, looking at from above something didn’t look right. It took me a moment to notice that it appeared that the U shape of the yoke was slightly out of sorts so that the U appeared to be slightly narrower at the opening where the adjustment nuts are than at the bottom where it connected to the deck hooks. I confirmed this with a tape measure and found it was off about 5/8ths of an inch. Laying the yoke down along some straight lines on the floor and a square showed me the it was the right side that was bent inward. I decided that at the start of this season I would correct that.

So, when this cutting season arrived, I took a bottle jack and slowly widened out the top of the yoke until it was square. After completing reattaching the deck, I went about attempting to level the deck fresh for the season. With the freshly squared up draft yoke, the deck was suddenly fairly easy to level AND the yoke made contact with both hooks on the deck. Of course, the real test would be in the cutting.

Holy Lawn Groomer, Batman! That small fix was transformational. My lawn cut went from “Meh” to a carpet perfect finish. After few weeks of cutting, I am still blown away at how beautiful the cut is now. No straggler missed blades of grass. No windrows except in only the deepest grass and even then, so light to be almost not noticeable. And no more blow out from under the front of the deck. Now I can understand why some other owners are so impressed with how well the 54C deck cuts. When it is all set up right, it is wonderful – far better than the 42” deck on my old L118.

Again, apologies for the long-winded message, but I wanted to share this experience about how a small issue and correction can have such a dramatic impact on the performance of mower deck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails right_front_draft_arm_connection.jpg   left_front_draft_arm_connection.jpg  
    JD X585 - 45 Loader, 47 Blower, 54C Deck, 14 Bushel bagger & Power Flow, 13 Steel Dump Cart, JD Front Mount Thatcher, 36" steel roller, Ohio Steel 42CP Aerator

New Holland TC29D (part owner with father - it lives at his house - 7308 FEL w/ heavy duty bucket, backhoe w/ underframe

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to fordgt40 For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (05-29-2019), Dr Kubar (05-30-2019), etcallhome (05-31-2019), Gizmo2 (05-29-2019), Jkochis82 (05-30-2019), kylew (05-29-2019), MadOx (05-29-2019), North585 (05-29-2019), tommyhawk (05-29-2019), Zebrafive (05-29-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    07-10-2019 @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks
    Kuddos to you! How annoying yet satsifying that you solved your issue. Enjoy the grass!
    On my 2nd JD Tractor. 2018 x739 w/ 47" Snowthrower, 54" HC deck, 14 BU MCS, 48" Dethatcher (Hydraulic), CTC FEL.

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Thanks
    Glad you got it figured out and you're pleased with the cut. A quick comment on mulching decks/blades/windrows: Mulching kits & blades don't like tall grass...period! I put Predators on my 48 deck and had the same problem. Three fixes: Keep after you lawn so it isn't too tall, make a narrower cut...only cut with the left half of your deck. and finally, slow down in those particular areas. Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 04:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 947 Posts
    Thanks for sharing your experience!
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:00 PM
    Thanks
    One more thing to check when leveling a deck. Thanks! Before my next mow. I'll at least look for contact on both front deck hooks.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    Glad you got it figured out and you're pleased with the cut. A quick comment on mulching decks/blades/windrows: Mulching kits & blades don't like tall grass...period! I put Predators on my 48 deck and had the same problem. Three fixes: Keep after you lawn so it isn't too tall, make a narrower cut...only cut with the left half of your deck. and finally, slow down in those particular areas. Bob
    Thanks for the reminder. I know all too well about the depth being an issue and wetness, too. I've been using mulch cutters for almost 30 years. This year the rain frequency has been nuts so getting dry cut time has been challenging at times. If the grass gets too deep, I cut it higher until I get back to a better schedule or as you suggest make a narrower cut or cut it twice, once higher and then lower. And yes, I'm aware you want to avoid cutting too much off in one day as it stresses the grass. My normal cut height is 3". That all said, having corrected my initial issue with the yoke, I can now cut deeper grass in one pass if I need to than previously would have required additional passed to clean up the windrows. I'm just shocked that would appear to be a relatively minor issue could make such major change once corrected. Definitely a learning experience for me.
    theduke likes this.
    JD X585 - 45 Loader, 47 Blower, 54C Deck, 14 Bushel bagger & Power Flow, 13 Steel Dump Cart, JD Front Mount Thatcher, 36" steel roller, Ohio Steel 42CP Aerator

New Holland TC29D (part owner with father - it lives at his house - 7308 FEL w/ heavy duty bucket, backhoe w/ underframe

10. Top | #7
    ean

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:51 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fordgt40 View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. I know all too well about the depth being an issue and wetness, too. I've been using mulch cutters for almost 30 years. This year the rain frequency has been nuts so getting dry cut time has been challenging at times. If the grass gets too deep, I cut it higher until I get back to a better schedule or as you suggest make a narrower cut or cut it twice, once higher and then lower. And yes, I'm aware you want to avoid cutting too much off in one day as it stresses the grass. My normal cut height is 3". That all said, having corrected my initial issue with the yoke, I can now cut deeper grass in one pass if I need to than previously would have required additional passed to clean up the windrows. I'm just shocked that would appear to be a relatively minor issue could make such major change once corrected. Definitely a learning experience for me.
    I tried just a few weeks ago to get my deck level. I struggled with the same experience you had. I'll have to check my draft arms. Would you be able to post any before vs after pictures of your yard or at least some of the current cut lawn? I'm curious to see what it looks like.
    X584
    54" mower deck
    47" snow blower

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:45 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fordgt40 View Post
    Holy Lawn Groomer, Batman! That small fix was transformational. My lawn cut went from “Meh” to a carpet perfect finish. After few weeks of cutting, I am still blown away at how beautiful the cut is now.
    Pictures! We love to see pictures of a beautiful lawn!
    ColonyPark and Kbar like this.
    2016 X739, 2018 1025R, 60HC mmm Auto Conn, FEL, BH, Frontier Forks, Woods finish mower, CF Box Blade, Taylor Way TP 923 Rotary Tiller, County Line Landscape Rake, County Line Auger, Ratchet Rake, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks and Differential Pedal, and a few home-made contraptions to attach.
    Refugee from the Kingdom of Orange Tractors

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 04:09 AM
    Thanks
    Pics of the Lawn or it Didn't Happen!
    stu19511, Dr Kubar and Kbar like this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'll be cutting it tomorrow and will do some shots. I might be able to dig up something from the last two years that showed all the stragglers sticking up.
    ColonyPark and Dr Kubar like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements