S-240 Is A Major Disappointment
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: S-240 Is A Major Disappointment

  1. Top | #1
    Sichuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    05-30-2019 @ 10:14 PM
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Angry S-240 Is A Major Disappointment

    I waited decades for my first John Deere lawn tractor and after using it for 92 hours I must say that it is a huge disappointment. The S-240 ALWAYS leaves a strip of grass uncut, regardless of which brand or type of blade I use. My local John Deere dealer has informed me, after checking it two times, that there is nothing wrong with the mower, that everything is working as it should. I have to cut my grass at least two times and sometimes three to get everything cut. It doesn't matter how high the grass is. It doesn't matter that the spindles are perfectly OK and the blades are not bent or damaged in any manner. It doesn't matter that the tires have equal air pressure on both sides. It doesn't matter how fast the mower is traveling when cutting the grass. That's two or three times the gas, two or three times the wear and tear on the mower and two or three times the necessary amount of time I spend cutting the grass.

    The latest set of John Deere mulching blades I bought had installation instructions that say that 42 inch mulch mowers have blades that rotate in opposite directions and to make sure that the proper blade is installed on the correct side. However, every set of blades I have bought for this mower, regardless of the brand or type and including John Deere blades, are exactly the same, with no marking to indicate direction of rotation. I don't know if my S-240 is considered to be a 42 inch "mower" or a 42 inch "mulch mower". Therefore, I don't know if the installation instructions apply to my mower.

    Does anyone know if both blades on the S-240 rotate in the same direction or opposite directions? If John Deere has been selling me the wrong blades that may explain the problem with the uncut strip of grass. If not, then all I can say is that I should have bought the Cub Cadet I was looking at when I was shopping for the lawn tractor. The Craftsman, Troy-Bilt, Simplicity, Toro, Ariens and Cub Cadet lawn tractors used by my neighbors don't have this cutting problem. They cut much better than my S-240. My neighbors have to cut their lawns only once to get it right and it takes them one half or one third the time to do it.

    If the John Deere dealer and/or I can't get this S-240 to cut my grass properly by the end of this year I'm going to buy a different brand of lawn tractor next spring, one that will properly cut the grass, and put this S-240 in storage and use it as an emergency backup. I'm certainly not going to sell it or give it to someone and transfer the problem to a new owner.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    SRG
    SRG is offline
    SRG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Location
    N. IL
    Posts
    541
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 52 Times in 48 Posts
    I'd think you could look at the pulleys/spindles on top of the deck, and see what direction they are rotating? Does your owners manual comment on blade orientation?
    DRobinson, PJR832 and Kbar like this.


    1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [Woods HBL72-2 rear blade, 72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.
    Stihl: MS250C/18", FS70R, HS45/18".

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,493
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 833 Times in 632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sichuan View Post
    The latest set of John Deere mulching blades I bought had installation instructions that say that 42 inch mulch mowers have blades that rotate in opposite directions and to make sure that the proper blade is installed on the correct side. However, every set of blades I have bought for this mower, regardless of the brand or type and including John Deere blades, are exactly the same, with no marking to indicate direction of rotation. I don't know if my S-240 is considered to be a 42 inch "mower" or a 42 inch "mulch mower". Therefore, I don't know if the installation instructions apply to my mower.

    Does anyone know if both blades on the S-240 rotate in the same direction or opposite directions?
    Looking at the belt diagram in section 55 of your's machine's operator's manual, it appears that both blades rotate in the same direction (clockwise).

    The owner's manual for your machine simply says to mount the blades with the cutting edge down. (aka Beveled side up!) Blades usually only have a cutting edge on one side at each end. There is only one way that they can go on if you your belts are properly installed and you are following the manual's instructions.

    Is it possible that the mulching blades you got are for a different machine?
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,243
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,126 Posts
    When viewed from the seat, where exactly is your deck leaving a strip of uncut grass?

    The parts list for the S240 shows both a 42" Accel Deep and a 42" Edge deck. They both have similar belt routings. If you look at the illustration below you will see that the drive belt runs along the back of the deck from one spindle to the other. This means both spindles have to rotate in the same direction.



    The main difference between full mulch blades and other blades is that a normal blade will be flat with just a section on the end that is a cutting edge. A mulching blade will have a cutting edge on the end but will also have have a curved cutting edge section closer to the spindle. This is what makes mulching blades a bit more difficult to sharpen.

    Also, the full time mulching blades are designed to work with the full time plastic mulching baffle. Do you have the mulch baffle installed on your deck>

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s240_deck.jpg   mulch_blade.jpg  
    Last edited by jgayman; 05-30-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    darkrt and firemachine69 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  7. Top | #5
    IndianaJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 10:54 PM
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,410
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 191 Times in 145 Posts
    If Im not mistaken, that same deck, or a very similar variation of it, has been used for quite some time by Deere. They have always, generally, given a good cut.
    Something is definitely wrong somewhere. I would have had it at my dealer the first time it did it, and every time after until they figured it out.

    Would it be possible to post pictures of the deck, the blades mounted to the deck, and the strip it leaves?
    That would help with attempting to identify the issue(s).
    etcallhome likes this.
    Jim B.

    318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

    Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

  8. Top | #6
    Sichuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    05-30-2019 @ 10:14 PM
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    I'd think you could look at the pulleys/spindles on top of the deck, and see what direction they are rotating? Does your owners manual comment on blade orientation?
    Thank you very much for the prompt reply, SRG.

    I just checked by pulling on the drive belt and both blades are turning in the same direction so I guess my initial post was unnecessary. Nevertheless, the uncut strip of grass should not be there and there's absolutely no excuse for my local John Deere dealer being incapable of solving the problem.

  9. Top | #7
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,243
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sichuan View Post
    Thank you very much for the prompt reply, SRG.

    I just checked by pulling on the drive belt and both blades are turning in the same direction so I guess my initial post was unnecessary. Nevertheless, the uncut strip of grass should not be there and there's absolutely no excuse for my local John Deere dealer being incapable of solving the problem.
    When sitting in the seat, can you give us more detail on the location and width of the strip of uncut grass?
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  10. Top | #8
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    19,184
    Thanks
    1,032
    Thanked 2,991 Times in 2,164 Posts
    Always looking at the most simple stuff first - are you certain the blades are installed correctly?

    Second question would be - are you mowing at full throttle?
    etcallhome likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  11. Top | #9
    Sichuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    05-30-2019 @ 10:14 PM
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Looking at the belt diagram in section 55 of your's machine's operator's manual, it appears that both blades rotate in the same direction (clockwise).

    The owner's manual for your machine simply says to mount the blades with the cutting edge down. (aka Beveled side up!) Blades usually only have a cutting edge on one side at each end. There is only one way that they can go on if you your belts are properly installed and you are following the manual's instructions.

    Is it possible that the mulching blades you got are for a different machine?
    Thank you for the prompt reply, JimR. I appreciate it. All blades for this mower were purchased at the local John Deere dealer or through John Deere online. I've always mounted the blades with the cutting edge down. I don't know what the problem is and the John Deere dealer, after twice inspecting the mower, tells me that everything is OK and working as designed.

  12. Top | #10
    Sichuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    05-30-2019 @ 10:14 PM
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    If Im not mistaken, that same deck, or a very similar variation of it, has been used for quite some time by Deere. They have always, generally, given a good cut.
    Something is definitely wrong somewhere. I would have had it at my dealer the first time it did it, and every time after until they figured it out.

    Would it be possible to post pictures of the deck, the blades mounted to the deck, and the strip it leaves?
    That would help with attempting to identify the issue(s).
    Thank you very much for your reply, IndianaJim. I really appreciate the diagrams and the depth of your response. I'll be cutting the grass again soon and I will provide photos of the deck, the blades mounted and the strip of grass left after cutting.

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •