425 with 60 and Powerflow
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By gbnpp05
  • 1 Post By Artsque
  • 1 Post By TJR345
  • 1 Post By Artsque
  • 1 Post By SulleyBear
  • 2 Post By Artsque
  • 1 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: 425 with 60 and Powerflow

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 05:44 PM
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    425 with 60 and Powerflow

    I got a new 425 and hooked up my mc519 and powerflow to it. It seems like the belt is kinda loose. It doesn't come off as I do have the handle that tightens the belt on the pulley locked. I've never used a bagger of any kind so I might just be worrying but my concern is the belt seems to get awfully hot and it smells a little of hot rubber. Hate to burn up a belt those things are pricey.

    Is this mostly normal behavior or is there some adjustment I'm missing?

    Thanks
    Jim

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    gbnpp05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Online
    07-15-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,194
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked 566 Times in 404 Posts
    Check your belt routing from the powerflo head to the deck pulley. It should have a "half twist" to it.
    Superglidesport and BigJim55 like this.
    Brian

    2720 JD MCUT
    200CX Loader
    62D On Ramp Mid-Mount Mower
    61 Inch Bucket
    Grooved R4's
    Tiller King Kutter Professional Green 60-Inch TG-G-60-JP
    Rear Blade Woods 72-Inch
    Middle Buster King Kutter MB-YX

    GT245 Garden Tractor

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 05:44 PM
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbnpp05 View Post
    Check your belt routing from the powerflo head to the deck pulley. It should have a "half twist" to it.
    It does. Pretty are is hooked up right. And it definitely works. Deck belt broke but I knew it was about done it had a big chunk out of it. So I'm down until I can get a new belt.
    BigJim55 likes this.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    TJR345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:34 PM
    Location
    Area 51 in Cambria,NY
    Posts
    3,692
    Thanks
    414
    Thanked 473 Times in 364 Posts
    If it's the one I'm thinking of you have to go past where the handle locks in order to get the belt tight.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Tom

    2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 05:44 PM
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    If it's the one I'm thinking of you have to go past where the handle locks in order to get the belt tight.
    I'll double check that today and update with result . Thanks.
    BigJim55 likes this.

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 05:44 PM
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It was my deck belt that was the problem. Got my new one on today and no more hot rubber smell. Loving this mc519. Can't wait to use it this fall to get the leaves. Tired of hauling tarps of leaves to the street.

  9. Top | #7
    SulleyBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:19 PM
    Location
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Posts
    6,563
    Thanks
    1,346
    Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Artsque View Post
    It was my deck belt that was the problem. Got my new one on today and no more hot rubber smell. Loving this mc519. Can't wait to use it this fall to get the leaves. Tired of hauling tarps of leaves to the street.
    Your tarp days are long over now. The MC519 cart is an excellent collection cart the way it follows the tractor bolted to the rear frame rails. One trick I have found for when using it to know when its full is you can knock on the chute tube and you can feel its hollow when running, which is good. Also, you can reach back to the front of the cart and push on the front of the cart to feel the material lever. Do NOT allow it to over fill as it will plug the chute, plug the blower and require you to remove everything and clean them out.

    If when you are using the MC519 cart you notice a little strip of grass or leaves behind the deck blower, its full and needs to be stopped using right away to avoid it plugging.

    Excellent system and very durable.
    so.fulton likes this.

    1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

    John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

    ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products





  10. Top | #8

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 05:44 PM
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Artsque View Post
    It was my deck belt that was the problem. Got my new one on today and no more hot rubber smell. Loving this mc519. Can't wait to use it this fall to get the leaves. Tired of hauling tarps of leaves to the street.
    Your tarp days are long over now. The MC519 cart is an excellent collection cart the way it follows the tractor bolted to the rear frame rails. One trick I have found for when using it to know when its full is you can knock on the chute tube and you can feel its hollow when running, which is good. Also, you can reach back to the front of the cart and push on the front of the cart to feel the material lever. Do NOT allow it to over fill as it will plug the chute, plug the blower and require you to remove everything and clean them out.

    If when you are using the MC519 cart you notice a little strip of grass or leaves behind the deck blower, its full and needs to be stopped using right away to avoid it plugging.

    Excellent system and very durable.
    Great advise. And much appreciated. I'm enjoying the whole setup so much now I'm mowing almost everyday. Not giving the cart much of a workout. Gonna try to restrain myself to let the grass grow a bit. 😂
    SulleyBear and TJR345 like this.

  11. Top | #9
    SulleyBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:19 PM
    Location
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Posts
    6,563
    Thanks
    1,346
    Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Artsque View Post
    Great advise. And much appreciated. I'm enjoying the whole setup so much now I'm mowing almost everyday. Not giving the cart much of a workout. Gonna try to restrain myself to let the grass grow a bit. 😂
    I run the Gator blades (High Lift Blades) on my 60" deck and actually, to get the thickest and healthiest lawn, allow the clippings to be put back into the lawn to properly compost and it also creates the correct amount of thatch. With a properly cutting deck with sharp blades and not allowing the clippings to get too long, you can really improve the health of the lawn over time by allowing the chopped down clippings to add a natural nutrient source to the lawn.

    A small amount of natural thatch if helpful in watering the lawn and maintaining moisture. While picking up very long clippings with the MC cart is a good idea, I will tell you the best system I have found for a happy medium between the MC cart and no clipping collection.

    I cut the lawn, usually this time of year at 3.5". I start the season at 3.25" and move up to the 3.5" around Memorial Day. As the summer goes on and the heat builds, I will get up to 3.75" and maybe 4", but no more. If the grass is cutting off more than 1.5" when cutting, I will mow the lawn with the deck and allow the clippings to land on the yard. Then I cross cut the lawn, after the clippings have dried at a 90 degree angle.

    Usually, by time I am done with the first cutting, the clippings have dried enough to be re-cut again. If the re-cut clippings are disappearing into the lawn, fine. If they are appearing as clippings on top of the lawn, I will use the MC519 cart and pick them up. I will usually collect the clippings just 3 or 4 times the entire season, otherwise, I allow them back into the lawn to help provide natural nutrients.

    Picking up the clippings every time actually deprives the lawn of natural nutrients. Find a happy medium and your lawn will be the happiest and like so will you. Plus it helps reduce the reliance on manufactured fertilizer which also can mean saving a bunch of money.......
    so.fulton likes this.

    1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

    John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

    ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products





  12. Top | #10

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 05:44 PM
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Artsque View Post
    Great advise. And much appreciated. I'm enjoying the whole setup so much now I'm mowing almost everyday. Not giving the cart much of a workout. Gonna try to restrain myself to let the grass grow a bit. 😂
    I run the Gator blades (High Lift Blades) on my 60" deck and actually, to get the thickest and healthiest lawn, allow the clippings to be put back into the lawn to properly compost and it also creates the correct amount of thatch. With a properly cutting deck with sharp blades and not allowing the clippings to get too long, you can really improve the health of the lawn over time by allowing the chopped down clippings to add a natural nutrient source to the lawn.

    A small amount of natural thatch if helpful in watering the lawn and maintaining moisture. While picking up very long clippings with the MC cart is a good idea, I will tell you the best system I have found for a happy medium between the MC cart and no clipping collection.

    I cut the lawn, usually this time of year at 3.5". I start the season at 3.25" and move up to the 3.5" around Memorial Day. As the summer goes on and the heat builds, I will get up to 3.75" and maybe 4", but no more. If the grass is cutting off more than 1.5" when cutting, I will mow the lawn with the deck and allow the clippings to land on the yard. Then I cross cut the lawn, after the clippings have dried at a 90 degree angle.

    Usually, by time I am done with the first cutting, the clippings have dried enough to be re-cut again. If the re-cut clippings are disappearing into the lawn, fine. If they are appearing as clippings on top of the lawn, I will use the MC519 cart and pick them up. I will usually collect the clippings just 3 or 4 times the entire season, otherwise, I allow them back into the lawn to help provide natural nutrients.

    Picking up the clippings every time actually deprives the lawn of natural nutrients. Find a happy medium and your lawn will be the happiest and like so will you. Plus it helps reduce the reliance on manufactured fertilizer which also can mean saving a bunch of money.......
    Great advise. My problem as it seems with lots of people is the 60 on the 425 just doesn't seem to be able to get very high. I don't think I could get a 4 inch cut even with the deck all the way up. I am already mowing at the highest setting and it's still pretty darn short. Not sure if there is anything else I can do?

    Jim

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •