425 60 inch Belt Replacement

Thread: 425 60 inch Belt Replacement

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks

425 60 inch Belt Replacement

I have a 425 with the sixty. I replaced my belt today and just wondered if I did it right. I'm sure the routing is right but wondering if there was an easier way.

After removing the deck from the tractor it appeared the only way to get the belt on was to remove the gearbox as the forward most pulley has almost no clearance between the top of the pulley and the bracket that the gearbox is mounted to. So wondering if it's possible to get it through the or if I did it correctly.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Artsque View Post
    I have a 425 with the sixty. I replaced my belt today and just wondered if I did it right. I'm sure the routing is right but wondering if there was an easier way.

After removing the deck from the tractor it appeared the only way to get the belt on was to remove the gearbox as the forward most pulley has almost no clearance between the top of the pulley and the bracket that the gearbox is mounted to. So wondering if it's possible to get it through the or if I did it correctly.

Thanks
    Yup.. Yur right. Gear box has to be out of the way to install belt. No clearance. I usually route the belt leaving the tension spring connected. I leave the belt off of the right side spindle. Then I roll the belt onto the spindle sheave. Better to fight it there than trying to stretch a spring or roll a belt on in tight quarters.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post

Thanks
    Yup.. Yur right. Gear box has to be out of the way to install belt. No clearance. I usually route the belt leaving the tension spring connected. I leave the belt off of the right side spindle. Then I roll the belt onto the spindle sheave. Better to fight it there than trying to stretch a spring or roll a belt on in tight quarters.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Hope this one lasts. That was a job. I ended up using a ratchet strap to pull the tensioner pulley back. Worked pretty good.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:18 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,315 Posts
    Hope this one lasts. That was a job. I ended up using a ratchet strap to pull the tensioner pulley back. Worked pretty good.
    I have put one deck belt on the 60" deck on my 455 since it was new and I even kept the one I removed as a spare. My tractor is in the 3,000 hour range of use......so you should get quite some time out of the belt.

Main thing is making sure to put the Deere belt on it which is designed for that mower as other belts which are the same length might have a different belt angle face and some are also made of less durable material. As you likely found out, that is not a low cost belt from Deere.

Also, keep the spindles greased and keep the deck area under the belt shield covers clean so no sticks or rocks get into the belt running to shorten its life.

When you had the gear box loose, did you check the fluid in the gear box or even change it? The gear box plug can be a real bear to get loose and it is easiest to get out of the gear box when the gear box is mounted. If I am not mistaken, it seems like its an Allen head plug and it might even have a taper cut into it, which makes it very tight when installed.

I had to use a 4 foot section of pipe on the breaker bar to get the plug out of the gear box. The gear box is very tough and its very expensive to replace, I want to say in the $600 cost range.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    I have put one deck belt on the 60" deck on my 455 since it was new and I even kept the one I removed as a spare. My tractor is in the 3,000 hour range of use......so you should get quite some time out of the belt.

Main thing is making sure to put the Deere belt on it which is designed for that mower as other belts which are the same length might have a different belt angle face and some are also made of less durable material. As you likely found out, that is not a low cost belt from Deere.

Also, keep the spindles greased and keep the deck area under the belt shield covers clean so no sticks or rocks get into the belt running to shorten its life.

When you had the gear box loose, did you check the fluid in the gear box or even change it? The gear box plug can be a real bear to get loose and it is easiest to get out of the gear box when the gear box is mounted. If I am not mistaken, it seems like its an Allen head plug and it might even have a taper cut into it, which makes it very tight when installed.

I had to use a 4 foot section of pipe on the breaker bar to get the plug out of the gear box. The gear box is very tough and its very expensive to replace, I want to say in the $600 cost range.
    As this tractor and deck was new to me I did change all fluids and filters including the deck gear box. I believe you can get new gearboxes for around 400 now but still a lot cheaper to properly maintain the one I have then replace it. Yeah this deck belt snapped completely off. I suspect it was the original belt. I have a brand new spare so should be good. And yes I always use John Deere belts as have heard they last longer. Do need to get the grease gun out still and make sure I'm all greased up. Everything was smooth and quiet though so hoping I can put off a deck rebuild for a few years.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements