John Deere 108 Service
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: John Deere 108 Service

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 01:28 PM
    Thanks

John Deere 108 Service

I just bought a John Deere 108 and need to do a service on it before using it. Anybody have a manual or anything on it? What weight oils does it use in the engine, transmission, differential? I assume the only other thing would be a new spark plug.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Thanks
    Truck,

Congrats on getting the 108...got any pictures? I am sure that 10W30 or 10w40 would be appropriate for the engine.

Sorry I don't have any specific information on the 108 for you -- the one I had in my herd was one I sold shortly after buying it in a group deal for a Gator. It was a bit small for my 2.3 acres and I already had a 322 and a 318 at that time so I never considered it one I would keep. I do have the parts catalog which lists the model year per serial number...that will be important for ordering some parts that are serial number specific, etc.

PC1699.PDF

I liked the little 108 and thought it was a well made lawn tractor. Here are a few pictures. Is your tractor a late one with the rear gas tank, or an early one with the tank under the hood? If the early model, be careful to let the engine cool before fueling up. Also be sure the fuel overflow hose is in good shape and not cracked where it makes the first bend. Mine had the rear filler...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0968.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	689428
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0970.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	689430

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuckv; 06-04-2019 at 10:23 AM.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    It is a rear fill 82 model.

Bought it because I needed a tiny cut and all the new mowers have larger cuts. You said you have 2.3 acres where I have probably .23 acres. I have been cutting it with a zero turn mower but it is just way to big. It is that size were it is a hair to big to push mow in the dead of summer and to small for a modern riding mower.

I figured an old small John Deere would be neat to cut the grass with and a 30 inch cut would be perfect.

As far as parts go have seen the parts diagram on John Deere's webpage and used it the last couple days to order parts. I wish I could have bought one already restored but so it life. So far I have on order probably 5 times the value of the mower in new parts.

Did an oil change on it a second ago as I found a Briggs manual on it. Still don't know about the rear end. I have not looked at it but assume it uses 75-90 but that is a pure guess.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Thanks
    Truck, From TractorData.com, your tractor has a Peerless 801 transmission using 1.125 qts of oil...doesn't state oil weight. Search on-line for a Peerless manual. They're usually a free download. Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Truck, Found manual for Peerless 801...plus a bunch of others! Go here: http://www.wfmfiles.com/download/Tec...ls(691218).pdf

BTW, a quick glance at the manual, it specs out " Bentonite Grease" which is a kinda special grease with clay in it. I'd use it! Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks,

Looks like I need Peerless Transmission 788067C Grease which comes in 32 oz bottles. Going to need 2 of them at around $30 each.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm kind of a "stickler" when it comes to lubrication and really don't want to second guess the Engineers. Their equipment is designed to use a specific lube...and that's what I'd use.

Smart move in getting the Tecumseh grease. That $60 for 2 bottles of correct lube is cheaper than $100-$500 for gears due to incorrect lube! Bob
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    The way I read it I have to take the diff out, open the case and repack it not drain and re-fill. Is that correct?

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Truck, I didn't thoroughly read all 105 pages of the manual, but scanning through the repair procedures it does state remove grease from the parts you remove. Also, not exactly sure of the "Grade" of Ben Bentonite Grease, but even if it's a Grade O it's not going to flow out. It really sounds like to change the lube you need to split the case, clean, repack, and reassemble.

First off, is this going to be a mower or mower summer/snow removal winter? You stated a small amount of mowing. I'd change engine oil, start it, move it around and listen for "noises". If OK, wait til winter to tear tranny apart. Inspect all parts and replace all bushings & seals...unless bushings still fit good, but probably not!... and re-lube.

This machine is 36+/- years old. If maintained there may be nothing wrong, but you won't know for sure until you tear into it. Not too much on this site or others about problems, so I'm thinking the 108 is a real good machine. Other than normal maintenance...oil, plug, points, belts..., if you HAVE to put a few hundred into tranny repair, you'll be good for another 30+/- years!
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Thanks
    People who have opened that transmission due to broken parts have commented on the difficulty that grease causes.

I honestly wouldn’t mess with it. It’s a royal pain to clean out, and if any degreaser gets stuck inside it in a corner you cannot clean it will probably ruin the new grease as it gets mixed through. You can get a spare used transmission cheap enough that if yours is a very rare one that fails you can just swap it out.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast