Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Uneven Cut on Slope

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-08-2019 @ 01:54 PM
    Thanks

Uneven Cut on Slope

Does anyone else have issues with an uneven cut when on a slight slope? I have a D130 and our back porch has a slight slope away from it. If I mow it parallel to the porch, it will create an uneven cut no matter what I do. I tried lowering the deck rollers and tried raising them. I mow from 2.75"-3" so according to the manual I had the deck wheels down to the lowest level. You can see the uneven cut in the picture. Is there a way to prevent this besides mowing perpendicular? It may be hard to see the slope in the picture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190605_075933.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	5.11 MB 
ID:	689600

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    I'm having a similar problem, but my slope seems quite a bit steeper than yours. Do you have the same problem traveling the opposite direction? (...to rule out mechanical adjustments.) More tire pressure would help a little bit to prevent "settling" on the dowhill side. Other than that, I just tilt the deck very, very slightly the other way and lean uphill when mowing! You have releveled the deck adjusters (at three points), I assume.

I'm interested in the recommendations you receive. Maybe I overlooked something. (Too much play somewhere allowing movement?)
    Last edited by RodW; 06-05-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 AM
    Thanks
    I would recommend that you make sure the tire pressure is even, the deck is level and the linkage is all in proper order.

If something is amiss, fixing it will help.

That said, there is little you can do about the uneven cut on a side slope.

The deck hangs from the narrow frame of the tractor. When you are on crossing a slope sideways, the deck swings to the downhill side.

Put your foot on one side of the deck and you'll see the swing.
    DRobinson and PJR832 like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    The deck is completely level. At first I thought it was because my deck wheels were too low and the high side of the deck wheels were touching the ground and lifting up which then pushed the low side down. I tried mowing in the opposite direction to see if it was just the left side causing the problem because it sticks out from the wheels further than the right side. It wasn't that. It's disappointing because the only way I can mow then is perpendicular.
    rtgt likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Thanks

Uneven Cut on Slope

Is the hill perfectly even, or does the slope change as you go up and down it? If it changes mowing perpendicular is your only option.

Increasing tire pressure might help, but depending on what’s underneath for slope it might not fix it all though.
    Last edited by rydplrs; 06-05-2019 at 04:05 PM.
    rtgt likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    I get the same thing on the slope in my side yard with my D160. When you are on the slope the deck shifts to the low side of the mower causing the height difference. The deck hangars are only meant for keeping things level when the deck is hanging directly below the mower. As soon as the tractor tilts the hangars shift a few inches to the low side.

I've been trying to figure out some way to prevent the deck from going sideways on the slope but... Well, I'm lazy and haven't gotten around to playing with it to see what might work.
    rtgt likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    I think having the scalping wheels on the lowest setting did help but it was still scalping. Could put a stiff roller on the front of the deck like reel mowers use but I'm not going to do that.
    rtgt likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:33 PM
    Thanks
    I used to have the exact same problem on my LA135. It was worse mowing right to left (right side of tractor downslope). Left to right was a little better, but still uneven. I tried everything to fix it, but nothing worked. Leveled the deck over and over, checked tire pressure etc.
    Actually, the only thing that worked was selling the LA135 and buying an x370. Perfect cut with the new machine.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with piranha tooth bar and HLA Forks
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:14 PM
    Thanks
    I get the same thing in my front yard, it's all because of the slope and shifting weight. Tractor mows nice and smooth on the side and back of house and down in the septic field, so definitely not a deck level or set-up issue.

Wasn't as evident with my old Craftsman because that only had a 42 inch deck compared to the 54 I have now.

If I butt shift enough, I can lessen the effect. I've tried other mowing patterns to try and eliminate the amount of side slope, but with the shape and slopes of my yard it makes for a lot of reversing and tight turns. In the end it would end up with a fan pattern.
    rtgt likes this.
    Rudy-

Stable includes:
    2017 x580, 54" deck with Mulcher, sleeve hitch, rear blade, box scraper, 47" Snowblower, rear mount electric spreader
    1980 IH Cub Cadet 682, 50" deck, rototiller, front blade (inherited from FIL, in middle of full restore)
    Other Toys:
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Chainsaw
    Stihl BG56 Blower
    Stihl KM 111 Kombisystem

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Thanks
    My D130 that I got at Lowe’s was doing the same thing. I went in and talk to them about it. They came and picked up my mower and took it to the dealer for repair under warranty. The dealer said they replaced something in the linkage and fix the problem. Cuts perfect this year i’m not sure what exactly they replaced I couldn’t get the dealer to be specific. If it’s still under warranty give it a try.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast