Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: X495 PTO won't engage, narrowing culprits

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-10-2019 @ 05:48 AM
    Thanks

X495 PTO won't engage, narrowing culprits

Hello, been reading for a while, first post. Great forum.

I have an X495 that the PTO has simply stopped engaging. It had stopped engaging while I was mowing from time to time, until finally it stopped and would not start back. I've begun trying to locate the problem but am coming up short. The red led on the ignition module board does not light up.

Seat switch tested, working properly
    Brake switch tested, working properly
    All relays tested, working properly
    I cannot see any frayed wires so far
    No voltage to PTO solenoid

I would like to check the voltage going to the PTO relay (K6 I think). Does anyone which color wires should be receiving 12V with the PTO switch off and also with it on?

Also, I cleaned all the contacts I could find. When I put it all back together I turned the switch on and the red led came on, and I was getting voltage to the PTO solenoid. I thought I had solved it. I got on the mower, cranked it up, then it wouldn't come on again. Haven't seen it turn on since.

I'm hoping by sharing my experience users in the future don't have the same frustration as I have had.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Thanks
    Here is an excerpt from the TM2024 on the electrical system...may help you with more specific diagnostics...starting on document page 167.

X495 electrical op and diag from TM2024.pdf

Chuck
    SulleyBear likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:34 AM
    Thanks
    Mine did the same thing on my X585. Same tractor but gas and 4wd.

I didn't see it on your list of things that you checked, I started with the PTO switch but no change. It turned out to be the switch that is on the forward/reverse pedals under the floor board. I hated the RIO cut out so I wasn't going to pay $40 to replace that switch that I can't stand. It was motivation to just bypass it.

The reason the PTO wouldn't kick in was because the tractor thought I was backing up. Even though I wasn't. It is a quick test. There are 4 wires to that switch. There is a Normally Closed side and Normally Open side. The way it works is when the plunger isn't pressed down the Normally Closed side completes the circuit for the PTO safety switch allowing the PTO to be turned on. If you press down on the reverse pedal it opens this side of the switch and that cuts out the PTO unless you are lifting up on the PTO Switch.

The other side which is Normally Open is used for the backup lights. When you press on the reverse pedal it completes the circuit for the backup lights and they will come on if the light switch is in that middle position.

This was my issue and something to check if you haven't already. A quick test with an Ohm Meter will tell you if it is bad.
    SulleyBear and TJR345 like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Chuck and semm! Great diagram, that will definitely help me track down some components. Semm, I haven't thought about looking at the reverse switch. I'll do that next. And the diagram Chuck posted should help me find it. Thanks both! I'll update afterwards.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Once you have marked that backup switch off the list if you still have an issue I can look in my manual. It is for the gas versions not the diesel but I suspect you have the same K92 transaxle and PTO clutch. I seem to remember a resistance test or something for the clutch. Just disconnect it and get an ohm reading between the two pins. That was one of the first things I checked but it was in the range that they quoted so I moved on. I just don't remember what the range is off the top of my head but can look it up if you still need help. I think it was about 5 - 6 years ago that my switch failed and I was messing with it.

Like I said I went through all the same hoops you did, seat switch, brake switch, relays , PTO Clutch Ohm reading and finally the backup switch. If something were to fail that was the one thing I was happiest about because it forced me to finally got around to bypassing it.

The switch is mounted to the frame (might be inside of the frame rail, in fact the more I think about it I think it is). Just look under the floor boards where the forward reverse pedals are. Mower deck will probably have to come off or at least pulled out far enough to get to it.
    Last edited by sennister; 06-06-2019 at 09:31 AM.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Sennister,

The first page of the document excerpt I posted above shows the specification of the PTO resistance to be nominally 8 to 10 ohms.

Chuck

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckv View Post
    Sennister,

The first page of the document excerpt I posted above shows the specification of the PTO resistance to be nominally 8 to 10 ohms.

Chuck
    Ok, I didn't look at the doc you posted. Saves me from having to look it up for him. Like I said I was going from memory on what I tested when I had the same issue many years ago and resistance was one thing I looked at. I think it was one of the first things because it was an easy test. Still a good chance it is the backup switch as he hasn't checked that yet to rule it out. That is what it was for me. It is under the machine where it is exposed to lots of dirt and slop.

JD X585, 54C deck,

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, after a week of obsessing about this, you guys have fixed my problem in 15 minutes. Unreal. I removed my deck and tested the backup switch. It checked out ok, however, like most other connections, it was full of crud. I cleaned it out and put it back together. When I turned the key on, the red PTO led still would't come on. I tapped the ignition module lightly and it came on! However, when I started the engine it went back off again, grrr. After tapping around on that ignition module a little longer to see if I could locate the problem, I felt a wire was loose on one of the harnesses. I took it off, pushed the wires in harder, and replaced. Everything seems to be working now. PTO engaged each time I pulled the the switch!

So, I think it was two things. I think the backup switch was not getting a good connection due to dirt, and I had a loose connection on that module. This afternoon I'll put the deck back on and make sure all is well. And make sure those wires are secure in the harness.

Also, I'm going to post a few beginner things in case someone with limited knowledge like myself is having trouble.

Thank you gentlemen. I wish you both the best.
    SulleyBear likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Glad it appears you have it sorted out.

That is the great thing about forums like these. The collective knowledge many times is better than dealer support. Not always a replacement but there is a lot of times where you are not the only one to have this issue. A quick post can help point out some areas you might have overlooked.

The internet in general is great for this. I have fixed all kinds of things and helped others with stuff like this from past experience here and in other forums like this.
    SulleyBear likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

Soannoyed (06-06-2019)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Glad you got it sorted -- and thanks so much for posting back the final resolution, as that may be just what helps the next reader address their own issue. The forum community here is a great collection of experience and knowledge and ready to help with suggestions on any question you may have.

Chuck
    SulleyBear likes this.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckv For This Useful Post:

Soannoyed (06-06-2019)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast