Lots of grease present in front of tractor after mowing today....any idea why?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jgayman
  • 1 Post By JimR

Thread: Lots of grease present in front of tractor after mowing today....any idea why?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-07-2019 @ 07:47 PM
    Thanks

Lots of grease present in front of tractor after mowing today....any idea why?

Under the axle (where the grease fitting is), and also all over (what appears to be) the hydraulic cylinder that controls the steering. I reached up and around the axle and wiped off lots of grease. I don't see anything, but could a hose have started leaking, or perhaps just excess grease? I only have 10 hours on it (about the 6th time I've used it...bought new last fall). I noticed it cause I always remove as much grass as possible from under the deck after mowing. Never noticed any grease before today, let alone a good amount. Took 2 rags to clean it all up. Thanks for any suggestions....

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,126 Posts
    What model tractor do you have? Was it grease or oil that seemed to be leaking?
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Just occurred to me that I forgot to mention the model...came back to edit but you beat me to it with the question X590....looked like grease to me....a big blob of it was all over the cylinder near bottom of the tractor..that particular deposit looked clean and brownish colored - as if just shot out of a gun. Then, when I started wiping up further around and above the axle, then it was darker, more black - but still definitely grease. Oil level has not changed since I started using the tractor - still full to the top (actually reads a bit over-full on the gauge).
    Last edited by three4rd; 06-07-2019 at 06:04 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,126 Posts
    It could have been a blob of grease from the front axle pivot point. If that area is over greased a blob can develop above the axle and later drop down.

Wipe away any excess in that area and monitor. The appearance of grease is less of a concern than leaking oil.
    Toughsox likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks
    There are only 3 points anywhere near the front axle where grease could come from that I can see. You've got a rubber/plastic "cap" at the top of the spindles at each end of the axle and you have the center bolt that runs right through the middle of the axle. You can check the nut on that center bolt and make sure it's properly snugged. The spindles just have a snap ring holding them in place but check that the caps aren't torn (or missing!).
    Toughsox likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks...will keep an eye on it.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements