• 2 Post By TJR345
  • 1 Post By DaubsNU1

Thread: Break-in X590

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-21-2019 @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks

Break-in X590

I a new member, so I am still in the process of updating my profile with pics, etc. This site appears to have a lot of knowleadgeable owners and I am sure glad I discovered this site.

Just received a new X590 last week.

Although I couldn't find it in the owner's manual given to me by the dealer, I believe an online manual stated the oil should be changed after the initial 8 hours. Is that correct? The owner's manual only references the "Break-In after 50 Hours," which relates to changing the transaxle oil and some lubricating various points.

Also, is it recommended to vary the rpm's for a certain period of time? I couldn't find anything on that so I didn't know how important that was.

Thank-you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,173 Posts
    This issue has come up countless times on these forums. For reasons unknown, JD has removed the initial 8-hr break-in oil/filter change on most of their lawn and garden equipment. If you go back a few manuals to previous serial numbers it is still in there. Same tractor, same engine, but the initial oil change is mysteriously gone.

Even stranger, if you go to the Kawasaki website and view the owner's manual for your engine you will see that Kawasaki still recommends the 8-hr initial oil change.

I don't know about you but I sided with the folks who BUILT the engine and went ahead and changed it at 8-hrs. It's $15 well spent.

The manual doesn't say anything about break-in usage. Given that it is a lawn mower it should be run at wide-open throttle when cutting grass.
    TJR345 and darkrt like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    This issue has come up countless times on these forums. For reasons unknown, JD has removed the initial 8-hr break-in oil/filter change on most of their lawn and garden equipment. If you go back a few manuals to previous serial numbers it is still in there. Same tractor, same engine, but the initial oil change is mysteriously gone.

Even stranger, if you go to the Kawasaki website and view the owner's manual for your engine you will see that Kawasaki still recommends the 8-hr initial oil change.

I don't know about you but I sided with the folks who BUILT the engine and went ahead and changed it at 8-hrs. It's $15 well spent.

The manual doesn't say anything about break-in usage. Given that it is a lawn mower it should be run at wide-open throttle when cutting grass.
    I did the same thing at 8hrs, then again at 50 hours. I also changed the transmission fluid at 50hrs. I don't think I've seen a failure caused by too many oil changes.
    rydplrs, TJR345 and goat704! like this.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 AM
    Thanks
    I'd just change it at 8,filter and 2 quarts is cheap insurance compared to what you paid. BTW what did you get with yours,any attachments.
    Last edited by TJR345; 06-11-2019 at 02:55 PM.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Nobody does this, and you donít hear of any real issues, but at some point I do believe this helps for high hour users.

In general break in is best done with heat cycles before sustained high temperatures. If youíre going to mow 4 acres the first time out I would stop every 10 minutes and cool it full throttle with no load for a minute then idle it down for 2-5, start mowing again then repeat a couple times. Full cooling to room temp is much better, but take what you can get. On 2 strokes advice is not holding steady throttle for a couple hours. Thatís not practical on a mower so taking breaks is the closest substitute.
    SulleyBear, TJR345 and goat704! like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    06-21-2019 @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    I'd just change it at 8,filter and 2 quarts is cheap insurance compared to what you paid. BTW what did you get with yours,any attachments.
    No attachments yet. Wanted a tiller, but my salesman has not been very helpful. I recently discovered on my own that a 42" hydraulic is available. Didn't know a 30" was even available for the X590
    TJR345 likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by varmintgitter View Post
    No attachments yet. Wanted a tiller, but my salesman has not been very helpful. I recently discovered on my own that a 42" hydraulic is available. Didn't know a 30" was even available for the X590
    It might take discussions with others at the dealer, but if you get your attachments rolled into your purchase they all get the same warranty length as the tractor.
    SulleyBear, TJR345 and goat704! like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,360 Posts
    I a new member, so I am still in the process of updating my profile with pics, etc. This site appears to have a lot of knowleadgeable owners and I am sure glad I discovered this site.

Just received a new X590 last week.

Although I couldn't find it in the owner's manual given to me by the dealer, I believe an online manual stated the oil should be changed after the initial 8 hours. Is that correct? The owner's manual only references the "Break-In after 50 Hours," which relates to changing the transaxle oil and some lubricating various points.

Also, is it recommended to vary the rpm's for a certain period of time? I couldn't find anything on that so I didn't know how important that was.

Thank-you in advance.
    And we appreciate new site members who like to compliment the "membership".

I also like the somewhat disclaimer, "The site appears to have knowledgeable owners." I am sure you have heard the old saying, "Fake it until you make it." Actually, we have a lot of very good owners who are respectful, helpful, patient and have myriads of useful, practical experience. Then there are the rest of us.........

Not only are you going to like GTT, you are going to fit in just fine.....Welcome to GTT.......and congratulations on your new tractor.

I would actually vary the throttle settings during that 8 hour break in period as Rydplrs outlined. While the break in process is rarely followed with that kind of discipline, there sure is no harm in doing so and not simply running the engine at WOT all of the time. I would also let the engine idle for 30 seconds when you start it before you take the engine RPM's up to the mower RPM range. This permits the engine valve train and upper components to be well oiled before the loads are put on it with the PTO, etc.

Here on GTT, there are great sections on implements, accessories, etc for your new machine. The GTT members LOVE to help others spend their hard earned money, and I must say, we are a quite accomplished lot at the task......

Welcome to GTT and again, congratulations on your new machine. You have selected a very popular and highly regarded L&G Tractor.
    rydplrs, kylew and DaubsNU1 like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

rydplrs†(06-11-2019)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 AM
    Thanks
    I'm leaning hard towards the armrest kit (got them on the X595) and the brush guard. For sure going to order the service manual.
    rydplrs and Ilovegreen like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Thanks
    As long as you are doing what the owners manual says (at minimum), you are good to go. Anything more is added protection for your JD.

Sometimes I think we over-analyze...but then you hear horror stories of people flat out neglecting their equipment.

My Ex-brother-in-law leased a Camry back in the early 2000's. Of course he was responsible for general maintenance, like oil changes...which he did...but the oil filter was "just too hard to get to..." so he never changed it.

You can guess what happened...$4k later, after engine replacement, he turned in the leased Camry

I've been lucky, or just anal about vehicle maintenance. All mine get synthetic, and all are changed well ahead of the manufacturers suggested intervals. The only catastrophic engine failure happened in my very first vehicle...a 1971 Chevy C-20 3/4 ton two wheel drive. It had the 250cid straight six and three-on-the tree. Cruising down the interstate doing 55 MPH, I heard a clank and stepped on the clutch...tach crashed to 0 RPM's. Thankfully we were at an exit, and rolled off off the interstate. Walked over the bridge to a gas station and called my dad (this was 1987).

After a tow home, and tear down, discovered the #2 cylinder exhaust valve broke, and the piston disintegrated...rod came up and punched hole through wall. Done. Can't really call that neglect on my part : )

Dad found a used 250 6cyl for $50, and we did the swap ourselves. Great learning experience for me!
    rydplrs likes this.
    2015 John Deere x750, 60" HC Deck
    1979 Lawn-Boy 7268 ("Frank")
    2007 Lawn-Boy 10797 ("Sally")

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DaubsNU1 For This Useful Post:

Henderson†(06-12-2019)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements