Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: my x720 wont stay running

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Thanks

my x720 wont stay running

So to start my X720 you must engage the break pedal as a safety to start... It does start...once i release the break pedal the engine stops??
    It was working fine when I put it away for the winter, now I'm trying to get it started but cant??
    I thought it might be one of the relays under the dash, which i changed but it still does the same thing.

Could anybody help??

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:10 PM
    Thanks
    I would check your seat safety switch if you already checked the brake relay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    kylew likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    well im not sure if it is the seat safety switch as im sitting on the seat at the time of starting and when the break is released and it stops.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 1,261 Posts
    Bypass the seat switch and try it. There is also a safety switch on the brake pedal. The seat switch is in the safety wiring circuit and one which often goes bad. When you release the brake, the tractor may quit because it thinks no one is on the seat. Bypassing the seat switch will indicate whether or not this is the issue and I bet it is.......If when you bypass the seat switch the tractor stays running, make sure to replace the seat switch as they are an important safety feature.

The tractor will run with the brake on and no one on the seat. When the brake is released, the seat switch is the next safety feature and it would cause the tractor to quit thinking the seat is empty. Bypassing the switch is a means of testing it.

Also, if you store your tractor in a barn or place where mice can get to it (which is pretty much anywhere) they love to make nests in the dash, under the body pan where the seat switch wiring is located. Should you find the fuel guage doesn't work or the tail lights, etc. it very well could be chewed wires under the body pan, which is not hard to remove.
    kylew likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    funny, i bypassed the seat switch 2 years ago, and never had this problem. I do store it in a shed and did look at mouse activity, but found non.
    Again, either sitting on the seat or not, with the break pedal engaged the tractor starts and runs.....as long as you hold the pedal down...once you release the break pedal the engine stops.. this never did this before...there must be some sort of switch or safety on the break pedal??????

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 1,261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyorr View Post
    funny, i bypassed the seat switch 2 years ago, and never had this problem. I do store it in a shed and did look at mouse activity, but found non.
    Again, either sitting on the seat or not, with the break pedal engaged the tractor starts and runs.....as long as you hold the pedal down...once you release the break pedal the engine stops.. this never did this before...there must be some sort of switch or safety on the break pedal??????
    Or your bypass of the seat switch has come undone or shorted out. Yes, there is a safety switch on the brake pedal, but rarely is that the culprit. I would bet 95% of the time, its the seat switch or wiring. In fact is so common, some of us keep a new seat switch in our spare parts kits for the tractor.

Understand, that the mice LOVE to make nests under the Seat pan, the big green metal assembly which is the fenders, etc. and bolts to the foot well. The wiring harness under the seat pan or operator platform, whatever you want to call it, is where the seat switch wires are run along with the fuel guage, tail lights, etc. That's why I mentioned any of these others also not working as a possibility.

You won't see the mouse nests until the body pan is removed and then usually, there are regular mouse condo's built on top of the rear hydro unit, under the seat pan. They love to pack the area on top of the gas tank and under the operator platform.

Its not uncommon for there to be grass accumulations from mowing which will half fill a 5 gallon bucket all packed up under the body pan and this wiring is right in the center of it.
    kylew likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    if the bypass has come undone?? how can i still start the tractor without sitting on it?? of course it wont start unless the break pedal is pushed all the way down. it will sit and run with me on the seat or not as long as the break pedal is down.. once i release the break pedal, she shuts down.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:24 PM
    Thanks
    There's a brake safety switch underneath along the frame.
    Tom

98 345 with 54" deck and powerflow,front thatcher,42" thrower and 30" tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck and powerflow (almost) PTO kit 3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch
    45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 07:07 PM
    Thanks
    The seat switch doesn’t effect starting. I leave my brake set and start my x before I even get on the seat.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Right, but when i release the break, the engine shuts off.....WHY?

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast