Deep Acell Deck straightening (54)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rydplrs

Thread: Deep Acell Deck straightening (54)

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 01:41 PM
    Thanks

Deep Acell Deck straightening (54)

I bought a 54 in Deep Excell deck just the shell. It is bent on the area around the right spindle area. A buddy looked at and said that it could be straightened or get close. He said that washers maybe used under the spindle to help also. The paint on this looks great. Anybody had any luck on straightening a deck? I plan on selling it but will disclose that it was bent. Might make a good deck for some rough area type mowing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Thanks
    I hate to say it, but you can get to close to measure a difference and itís still going to cut like crap. Iíve seen JD replace a deck they couldnít measure a problem on and fix an uneven cut issue.
    SulleyBear likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:08 PM
    Thanks
    Frame shops can straighten ANYthing. Profit margin killing idea, but might be worth a drive-by.
    2006 3520
    2018 x739

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:15 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,265 Posts
    Ironically, there was just someone on here a couple of weeks ago who bent their 54" deck and it was around the spindle furthest from the discharge chute.

I would not endorse the "washers" idea, at all. If you can't get the deck square without shims, I doubt anyone would be interested in it. Do I understand you bought a "deck shell" which is bare? Determining if it's square and returned to the proper position is going to be tricky (actually impossible) without the spindles and assemblies to verify functional blade clearance and correct alignment.

I am glad you plan to disclose the damage to the deck to a new buyer. Did you buy this to "fix and flip"? Just curious, what do you think the repaired deck is worth? How about some pictures of what you bought and the extent of the damage to the deck?

Tell us how you are thinking about straightening the deck? Normally, we have done it with long flat bladed pry bars which are very heavy duty and about 1.5', 3' and 5' long. Using the spindle hole and bolt holes, you just slowly start to bend the deck back to square. Often, it can be done without any heat. It depends upon the extent of the damage to the deck.

Another idea is to use a large shop press, like a 10 ton press and some flat stock to fit over the spindle area. Also, if you have access to a "Porta Power" unit, which is used in body shops for frame straightening and structural repairs to heavy steel, this would be a way to straighten the deck.

It is possible the damage is severe enough to have caused fatigue in the metal which will compromise the decks metal integrity. If the steel is weakened from the damage, its either going to need to be structurally reinforced, a new area inserted or its also possible the deck is beyond repair, which means its scrap steel........

I own a set of these pry bars and this is what I have used.

TEKTON 36-Inch Angled Tip Handled Pry Bar with Striking Cap | LSQ42036 - - Amazon.com

The shortest is about 18" long and the longest is probably nearly 5 foot long. The length makes the leverage for straightening much easier and its also easier to slowly make changes. Don't buy cheap pry bars are they will likely not stand up to the stress you will need to put on them........a breaking pry bar is often a trip to the Emergency Room......

Just be aware that the clearance issues are critical on this and all multi blade decks. That's a very sensitive area for dimensional accuracy. "Close enough" won't be...... Being even off 1/8" will likely cause blade interference and will certainly produce a less than ideal cut result. The blade tips will like make contact with one another, which is very dangerous and can not be allowed.

I would like to see the extent of the damage on the deck, just out of curiosity. Can you post any pictures for us to see?

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-14-2019 @ 05:27 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vop66 View Post
    I bought a 54 in Deep Excell deck just the shell. It is bent on the area around the right spindle area. A buddy looked at and said that it could be straightened or get close. He said that washers maybe used under the spindle to help also. The paint on this looks great. Anybody had any luck on straightening a deck? I plan on selling it but will disclose that it was bent. Might make a good deck for some rough area type mowing.
    The only deck I have had to straighten out was a 54 inch deck on my 425 but it was the side and a fairly simple deal. You may want to get a hammer and dolly set from Harbor Freight and start straightening it out, if you think it's worth it. Of course you might have the right BFH lying around your garage and that may do the trick as well. I would think if you don't get it pretty straight then you will see increased wear on the belt and probably the spindle bearings.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:15 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    I would think if you don't get it pretty straight then you will see increased wear on the belt and probably the spindle bearings.
    The blade tips will actually strike one another quite violently.......The passing clearance when they meet is very, very tight......

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:56 AM
    Thanks
    I probably straighten over a dozen decks a year in the spindle pocket area. I hammer and dolly the pocket as close as possible. Then I use body shims to get the blade tip to blade tip even. Then level the deck. I wont go bigger than a 1/16th shim. The customer is told up front that the only perfect fix is to replace the deck. A complete deck is more than likely cheaper than a shell. We have good results with zero come backs. Again the customer is made aware that it aint going to be perfect.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Cant post pics right now my buddy does welding and fab work for a living so he has an idea on how to do things similar . Yea I was going to flip it if I could but not ask that much for it. I did call and price a new one here it was 663.00 plus tax. From what I can better describe it seems bent just in board on the flat area of the right spindle. I haven't unloaded off my truck yet. My buddy used a old 60 inch deck and built a self contained mower that he pulls to the side of his zero turn. I saw it in action a couple of weeks ago looked like it was working pretty good.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Heres some pictures of the deck If I remember how to add them . Ive listed it for sale as so some one can straighten it to know it is to their liking . Sorry about pic up side down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image1 (1).jpeg image2 (1).jpeg
    Last edited by vop66; Today at 12:20 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements