John Deer LT 155 pulley/transmission issues

Thread: John Deer LT 155 pulley/transmission issues

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-15-2019 @ 08:13 PM
    Thanks

Question John Deer LT 155 pulley/transmission issues

Hello all, I hope I am posting in the right section. Recently I had the steering shaft replaced in my John Deer LT155, and I mowed with it for the first time today. About an hour into mowing, the transmission started to whine [ it sounded like a drill spinning ] and did not want to move when I gave it gas I looked into it online and I found a video in which the mower made a similar noise, and it was a bad pulley above the transmission. Does anybody have any experience with this issue, is it possible it is the pulley and not the whole transmission? I will be traveling tomorrow until Wednesday, but when I am back I plan to pull the wheels off and inspect the pulley. If anyone else can give me any insight into these problems I would greatly appreciate it!

This is the video I watched in which it made a similar sound and was diagnosed as the pulley : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsp6kR2MKjA

Thanks in advance,
    - a new member

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Thanks
    I had an LT166 for a short while that had drive issues. My research found 3 major issues, not in any order:
    • Dreaded transmission hydro failure
    • Failed input shaft and/or pulley
    • Issue with belt/idlers/dirve pulley

In my case, I assumed that it was a transmission issue, tore into it and found it to be in near perfect shape. Changed the oil and found the front engine drive sheave to be severely worn. I replaced that and was good to go.

Before you tear into anything, I would find a way to prevent the tractor from moving forward, step on the forward pedal and have someone watch to see if the pulley/fan on the top of the transmission stops turning. Just be careful not to run anyone over. If it stops the issue is one of the last two. If it keeps spinning, you are due for a transmission overhaul or new input shaft/pulley. Google will find you multiple threads and some videos on hydro refurb and the input shaft repair.

My guess is that you do have a failed input shaft/pulley but suggest you diagnose it before buying parts.

Good luck
    Last edited by denverguy; 06-15-2019 at 02:11 PM. Reason: corrected diagnosis

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    06-15-2019 @ 08:13 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by denverguy View Post
    I had an LT166 for a short while that had drive issues. My research found 3 major issues, not in any order:
    • Dreaded transmission hydro failure
    • Failed input shaft and/or pulley
    • Issue with belt/idlers/dirve pulley

In my case, I assumed that it was a transmission issue, tore into it and found it to be in near perfect shape. Changed the oil and found the front engine drive sheave to be severely worn. I replaced that and was good to go.

Before you tear into anything, I would find a way to prevent the tractor from moving forward, step on the forward pedal and have someone watch to see if the pulley/fan on the top of the transmission stops turning. Just be careful not to run anyone over. If it stops the issue is one of the last two. If it keeps spinning, you are due for a transmission overhaul or new input shaft/pulley. Google will find you multiple threads and some videos on hydro refurb and the input shaft repair.

My guess is that you do have a failed input shaft/pulley but suggest you diagnose it before buying parts.

Good luck
    DenverGuy, thanks for the fast reply! I did test it the way you suggested, the fan continued to spin when pressing the gas. It sounds exactly like a drill spinning. I was hoping it could be the pulley but I guess that eliminates that possibility. I will probably end up taking it back to the repair shop when I get back from my trip unless I find something else out. I genuinely appreciate your help!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FMJ_Ryan View Post
    DenverGuy, thanks for the fast reply! I did test it the way you suggested, the fan continued to spin when pressing the gas. It sounds exactly like a drill spinning. I was hoping it could be the pulley but I guess that eliminates that possibility. I will probably end up taking it back to the repair shop when I get back from my trip unless I find something else out. I genuinely appreciate your help!
    You're welcome. It could be the input shaft/pulley.

I corrected my post if you read the email it generated as I initially omitted the fact that the test narrows it down to either the pulley or the transmission. Given the sound, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a bad pulley.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements