X-series 3-pt. hitch depth stop installation

Thread: X-series 3-pt. hitch depth stop installation

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-18-2019 @ 11:44 PM
    Thanks

X-series 3-pt. hitch depth stop installation

Have you personally installed a John Deere or Ruegg 3-pt. hitch on your X400/X500/X700 tractor and had difficulty attaching the depth stop rod mechanism?

On the Ruegg hitch for my X585, the right side of the depth stop pivot at the top of the rod does not fit into the half-moon-shaped cutout in the tractor frame (see photos). The pivot sits about 1/8" too high and is stopped by the top edge of the cutout. The pivot fits only if moved down and to the right, which means the left side of the pivot is no longer square in the slot in the left side of the frame. Tapping the depth control rod does nothing. It looks like I need to grind off 1/8" from the top of the frame cutout. The John Deere installation instructions don't state it is necessary to hammer or grind.

I'd like to avoid the grinding, so am wondering if the Deere hitch has a depth stop that fits better than the Ruegg.

Did your depth stop simply slide into place or did you need to help it? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails depth stop 1.jpg   depth stop 2.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    07-06-2019 @ 03:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGenJDFan View Post
    Have you personally installed a John Deere or Ruegg 3-pt. hitch on your X400/X500/X700 tractor and had difficulty attaching the depth stop rod mechanism?

On the Ruegg hitch for my X585, the right side of the depth stop pivot at the top of the rod does not fit into the half-moon-shaped cutout in the tractor frame (see photos). The pivot sits about 1/8" too high and is stopped by the top edge of the cutout. The pivot fits only if moved down and to the right, which means the left side of the pivot is no longer square in the slot in the left side of the frame. Tapping the depth control rod does nothing. It looks like I need to grind off 1/8" from the top of the frame cutout. The John Deere installation instructions don't state it is necessary to hammer or grind.

I'd like to avoid the grinding, so am wondering if the Deere hitch has a depth stop that fits better than the Ruegg.

Did your depth stop simply slide into place or did you need to help it? Thanks.
    lift up the three point hitch arms and un screw the stop a little it should pop in .
    that part is the same as on the 455
    1965 110 needs restoration my 1st tractor I got it back
    2002 455 blower 54 mower 3 point hitch with home made forks and OTC cab
    1986 950 fel back hoe
    2011 1026r fel mmm hm 3 point weight hm edge tamers 2 stage blower r4 tires
    OTC cab with glass windshield and wiper, electric heater, JD weight box ,remote electric chute controller

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st1026r View Post
    lift up the three point hitch arms and un screw the stop a little it should pop in .
    that part is the same as on the 455
    Thanks. I'll try that when I attempt to insert the depth stop while attached to the rockshaft. Right now, I've just been experimenting to get the depth stop unit to fit into the frame all by itself. It doesn't.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Thanks
    I believe when I did mine that I put that into place then I put the holder and screw that's on the other side.
    The 3pt hitch is the handiest thing to have on a small garden tractor. I use it a lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0561.JPG  
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    It sounds like your depth control unit pivot bushing slid into the frame slot without any issues. That's my problem. I already have the retainer and self-tapping screw ready to go on the left side. It's the right side half-moon-shape slot where the pivot bushing doesn't fit.

Someone on another forum suggested the alignment tolerance between the left and right frame slots could be too much and require grinding off some of the steel. I'm inclined to agree, but would rather that be my last resort.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    07-08-2019 @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    The depth stop on my hitch slide right into place on both my previous 445 and my new-to-me 17' x758. I installed the same Ruegg Cat1 hitch, (two separate kits, but the same kit on each,) on both tractors.

Rick
    2017 JD X758 54HC deck, 54" front blade, Reugg Cat1 3pt, & Front Fenders
    2018 JD 3039r Deluxe Cab w/ Air Ride Seat & Mid PTO, 320r Loader w/ HD bucket, 72D deck, Horst Forks, Ballast Box, Landpride FDR 2584

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements