Thread: LT180 Tranny problems.

1. Top | #1
    KC1

Last Online
    06-21-2019 @ 11:42 AM
    Thanks

LT180 Tranny problems.

Hi,
    I have a LT180, runs great, cuts great, but-the tranny has lost power. I spent several hours yesterday putting on a new tranny belt, didn't make much difference. It ran fine for 10 minutes then started creeped along, just enough time to get it into the garage, the transmission box was very hot. it really lost power going up a slight incline.
    It makes a weird sound when you push the pedal forward, kinda a grinding noise, then goes away. i have looked at several posts about tranny's, pulling the tranny and putting in new oil, some cases replacing the whole box. A new tranny is very costly and used ones, you take your chance that its good.
    I hoping that those of you who are more skilled than me might have some suggestions, or comments.

I"ll take all the advice i can get, much appreciated.

Thank You,
    KC1

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Thanks
    The drive pulley is known to strip on the input shaft, or your due for a full rebuild.

4. Top | #3
    KC1

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    The drive pulley is known to strip on the input shaft, or your due for a full rebuild.
    You know i saw a video on the internet about that, i think i'll give that a shot. If it works great, if not-shes out the door.

Thank You very much!

KC!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:42 PM
    Thanks

how many hours ?

have you ever changed the tranny oil ? I did mine last fall at 300 hours and its like a new tractor. still on original drive belt too.

7. Top | #5
    KC1

Last Online
    Thanks

Lt180 tranny problems

Quote Originally Posted by kipsy View Post
    have you ever changed the tranny oil ? I did mine last fall at 300 hours and its like a new tractor. still on original drive belt too.
    Say, that's a idea, i looked into that and found a thread that has pictures and very good description of what you need to do. The LT180 runs fine for a while then starts slowing down, i'm hoping the oil is black and putting synthetic 5-50 will fix her up.

i'm gonna give it shot.

Thank You!
    KC1

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    If you have a sealed transmission that doesn't allow you to replace the fluid then you kinda screwed. My old L118 had the same issues. Would run well for about ten mins then barely move under it's own weight. After it cooled off I could fire it up and run it for another ten mins without issue. The tranny fluid gets hot and losses it viscosity preventing it from engaging. That's the biggest problem with seal systems like that. It's not the belt or anything like that. The trans was likely made by Tuff Torq a company in TN. They supply trans for all brands including Deere riding lawn mowers.

The only real fix is swap out the trans for a new or used one. Unless you can change that oil and that will fix it. The Tuff Torq people have a rebuilt kit but not worth the $$$. They said trying to force the fluid into the tranny will not make it to all the places it needs to go and then you;ll just burn up the gears. Maybe. Theres are videos of people drilling a hole into the bottom of the case and the top and forcing the fluid out and then refilling it. Swapping it out isn't too hard you can do that with basic tools. Tons of threads out there about this problem. I refuse to own any garden tractor today with a sealed transmission.
    Last edited by cms1528; 06-19-2019 at 09:30 PM.
    JD4044M likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cms1528 View Post
    The only real fix is swap out the trans for a new or used one. Unless you can change that oil and that will fix it. The Tuff Torq people have a rebuilt kit but not worth the $$$. They said trying to force the fluid into the tranny will not make it to all the places it needs to go and then you;ll just burn up the gears. Maybe. Theres are videos of people drilling a hole into the bottom of the case and the top and forcing the fluid out and then refilling it. Swapping it out isn't too hard you can do that with basic tools. Tons of threads out there about this problem. I refuse to own any garden tractor today with a sealed transmission.
    The LT180 has a K46 in it. TuffTorq sells to manufactures in both "sealed" and "serviceable" units. The only differentiator is that a "sealed" unit lacks a drain plug (it's the same casting, just not drilled out) and the tractor will not have access to the fill plug. You do need to pull the trans, open the case and dump (turn it upside down) the fluid out to change it on a sealed K46. Add the specified amount of oil, close it all up and follow the purge procedure once back in the tractor.

I don't know if the LT180 is "sealed" or not but you can change the fluid either way. I don't think anyone can predict if an oil change will fix your issue but it may very well be a bad pulley on the input shaft. You just need to do some basic troubleshooting. If it is the transmission, you'll have to decide if it's worth changing the oil or not as it is not a sure fix.
    Last edited by denverguy; 06-20-2019 at 10:09 PM.
    rydplrs likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Thanks
    If it’s a transaxle problem. Generally when your down to minutes of useable time the pump is shot. It will be better with an oil change, but the remaining life is still short. An oil change when still going is a life extender.
    JD4044M likes this.

11. Top | #9
    KC1

Last Online
    Thanks

Lt180 tranny problems

Quote Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
    Say, that's a idea, i looked into that and found a thread that has pictures and very good description of what you need to do. The LT180 runs fine for a while then starts slowing down, i'm hoping the oil is black and putting synthetic 5-50 will fix her up.

i'm gonna give it shot.

Thank You!
    KC1
    Well it took the tranny out, totally caked insludge and grime. I sprayed carb cleaner, hit it with the hose, then hit it again with crud cutter, and got it cleaned up. took of the pully and fan, popped the seal and flipped it over. The oil is black as black can be. Poured in 2 quarts of 5w50 synthetic, popped it back in
    and fired it up. I would say it's running 80% better, so that's fine. My wife will use this one, she weighs a lot less.

i was cleaning up afterwards and i forgot to put the magnet back in, what a moron. Taking the tranny out was easy putting it back in not so much, i grabbed my wife and she helped.

i think come fall, i'll pull it out and put in a cylinder block pump kit and a cylinder block kit-i think that will do it.

Thanks again-great suggestion!
    JD4044M likes this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KC1 For This Useful Post:

kipsy (06-21-2019)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements