Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Hit A Stump

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-14-2019 @ 11:46 AM
    Thanks

Hit A Stump

So with only 5 hours on my new X350, I hit a stump and bent the deck. The mower shut off immediately, but when I fired it back up and turned on the mower deck I heard metal crashing together. I shut it down and took the deck off and saw that the blades were hitting and figured I bent one. I replaced the blades and they were still hitting. Then noticed the blade on the discharge side was out of level by almost a 1/4" and the paint was cracked on top of the deck by the spindle. I pulled the spindle and did some banging and prying and got it back to where it should be. Im a little surprised at how easily it bent. I have the accel 42 deep deck. I thought this was supposed to be a heavier duty deck? Has anyone else had this experience?
    etcallhome, jdforever and JD4044M like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Thanks
    2 ounces at 18,000 FPS (blade tip speed) gives almost 600,000 ft lbs of energy. That will take out a heavy duty deck too.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    2 ounces at 18,000 FPS (blade tip speed) gives almost 600,000 ft lbs of energy. That will take out a heavy duty deck too.
    That FPS seems a bit high for a X300. A X300-series with a 42-inch deck has a blade rotation speed of around 2900 RPM.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Thanks
    In the last 15 years or so, I can't even think how many stumps I've hit with the 48 Edge deck on my Z445, and before that the 48C deck on my LX277AWS. My decks have really taken a beating. I don't know if they're making them differently these day but mine work as well as the day I brought them home.
    JD4044M likes this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 2"receiver hitch drawbar
    Titan 42 inch pallet forks
    Titan Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    07-14-2019 @ 11:46 AM
    Thanks
    regardless of rpm's, it did damage. When I put the new blades on, they were actually overlapping by almost an 1/8". It was at that point that I knew I had a problem. I hit all kids of things with my old craftsman and never had a problem like this. I guess 20+ years ago they used better steel. I'll be more careful going forward.
    Gizmo2, jdforever and JD4044M like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Thanks
    Take micrometer and measure your current deck to the old deck if you still have it. You will find it thinner. Plus I don't think they use the same mix of steel and heat treating like they did a few decades ago.
    JD4044M likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    That FPS seems a bit high for a X300. A X300-series with a 42-inch deck has a blade rotation speed of around 2900 RPM.
    And the rotational weight was kept minimal to illustrate the idea. I think residential mowers are about 3000fps slower then commercial but I donít know which is 18k. Then there is the variable of stopping distance, and where the impact was on the blade.

I donít intend to be confrontational, I just want to show it was a conservative guesstimate if the force involved.
    Levi, theduke, Oscar Leroy and 1 others like this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rydplrs For This Useful Post:

JD4044M†(06-23-2019)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 921 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    Think ya need to divide by 60 again to give FPS.

205 MPH blade tip speed = 1082400 Feet per hour /60 = 18040 feet per minute /60 = 300.66 feet per second.

Did this when a little 1.92 ounce piece of oak stick (stick approx. 1" diameter and 6" long, approx. 1.92 oz.) blasted thru plastic deflector shield on my Z Trak.

Figured out the stick hit with 168.55 foot pounds of energy using ballistic formula.

Lots more Kinetic energy wrapped up in a powered up mower blade than a free flying little stick me thinks.
    rydplrs, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Cajun For This Useful Post:

JD4044M†(06-23-2019)

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    Think ya need to divide by 60 again to give FPS.

205 MPH blade tip speed = 1082400 Feet per hour /60 = 18040 feet per minute /60 = 300.66 feet per second.

Did this when a little 1.92 ounce piece of oak stick (stick approx. 1" diameter and 6" long, approx. 1.92 oz.) blasted thru plastic deflector shield on my Z Trak.

Figured out the stick hit with 168.55 foot pounds of energy using ballistic formula.

Lots more Kinetic energy wrapped up in a powered up mower blade than a free flying little stick me thinks.
    Your correct on the failed conversion. It still comes out to a rifle shot of energy with decent rotational weight, then you add the other blades and shafts connected to in the system and itís capable of damaging any deck made.
    Levi, BigJim55, Old Cajun and 2 others like this.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    06-27-2019 @ 11:11 PM
    Thanks
    I just accepted delivery on an X739, and spent a number of weeks prepping the lawn in anticipation of it's arrival, as well as a BUNCH of tree removal and service work. My hands are still sore from ax-ing and using a large sawzall to get rid of all of the roots and stumps on the property, filling multiple large trash containers full of stump pieces and roots in the process. I filled a number of holes with new topsoil as well (the lawn in total got 28 tons in a larger scale landscaping/remodeling project) as the spots where the stumps were removed left some sizeable holes and low spots, so I wanted to smooth those out as well. I burnt up a whole six pack of those Milwaukee "The AX" footlong blades in the process in cutting out what the stump grinder from the tree service missed, prepping the lawn, driveway boundaries, and new flower beds for their new, treeless role. I am very impressed with the Milwaukee "Super Sawzall" as well, putting it through what would be an "ultimate test" in any case. I was cutting through 9+" root sections then busting them out of the ground with a large spade shovel.....did I tell ya how much my hands still are sore, LOL....

I mowed all involved areas with a push mower set on a low setting before I would allow the new tractor to see it. Having put a crankshaft through an engine casing last season I wanted to make sure I didn't have a rerun. I feel pretty confident that I got them all, but not without a BUNCH of hard work and persistence in the process.

It's a really good idea to make sure that a new owner of one of these machines does a thorough survey of their lawn before letting said new machine see the lawn. I anticipated needing to do this from prior issues in stump removal and prior mower damage and made sure the new Deere wasn't a victim to any "leftovers". It's really interesting to me seeing this thread come up, given what I've been doing to my property in recent weeks. Sorry to hear that you have to go through that, but it doers serve as a warning to new owners to make sure that ALL obstacles are dealt with before putting such a machine into service.
    North585, IndianaJim, Levi and 5 others like this.
    John Deere X739 with 48" deck
    MCS 14BU hopper/powerflow with Superior Tech 14BU attachment for from-seat dumping
    47" snowblower

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast