• 1 Post By theduke

Thread: John Deere GT225 Transmission Pulley

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 09:11 AM
    Thanks

John Deere GT225 Transmission Pulley

Hello,
    I'm working on my John Deere GT225 lawn tractor. In the past 2 months I have striped the gears out of 2 transmission pulleys. I'm starting to worry that the gears on the input shaft on the transmission are two far gone. Is it possible to have someone weld this pulley on the transmission? Or could I buy a new pulley and use something like Loctite or JB Weld to assist keeping it from stripping again.

Links to pictures of the input shaft and pulley.
    Shared album - Samuel Blair - Google Photos

i apologize if this is a double post. I tried posting this an hour ago and it did not seem like it posted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Thanks
    First off,

I'm pretty sure you are referring to the splines being stripped. So the splines are also bad on the transmission shaft? What is causing this to happen?
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:38 PM
    Thanks
    The teeth are too far gone, “wore out”, on the input shaft and you need a new one. The jb weld is a good idea, but only if want to sell the mower to your enemy. Do the right thing and get new parts.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    What needs to be done to replace the input shaft? likely the transmission will need to be rebuilt?

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sblair86 View Post
    What needs to be done to replace the input shaft? likely the transmission will need to be rebuilt?
    Pretty much.

If it were mine I’d try to jb weld it, if that didn’t work I’d replace the entire transaxle or the entire tractor. The return on time and money on fixing the shaft just wouldn’t compute.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    That's kind of where I'm at. I have a bother that has a welder. I might try the JB and then have him tack it on for good measure. I just bought it used and want to get a few years out of it. I can always shop around for a newer transmission if needed.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:19 AM
    Thanks
    There is a input shaft kit. Look it up on jdparts.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:19 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,315 Posts
    You should always use the tractor VIN number before you order any new parts and have the dealer confirm the part number based upon your tractor's VIN numbers.

It looks to me like the input shaft is part number M810072 which sells for $166.43. Check with the dealer if you are really interested in repairing it and see if the can get the input shaft. it is showing out of stock in many places.

Replacing the input shaft in the transmission is a repair which should be handled by someone with some mechanical experience because the shaft also runs the hydro pump. Here is the link to the parts schematic which shows what it looks like inside the case...Replacing the shaft would be the correct way to fix it. If you can get the part for the price I have shown and perform the labor yourself, then it would be a correct repair and likely last a long time.

Is the machine worth the time and expense, only you can judge that.

John Deere Parts Catalog

If you go down the path of JB Weld and tack weld the pulley to the input shaft, understand it might work and it might not. If it does work, it might last for anywhere from a short time to a long time.

Here is how I would do it if I weren't going to replace the input shaft.

1. - Try to fit the pulley on the shaft DRY (without the JB weld) in a couple of different positions to see if you can find the "tightest" fit.

2. - Then mark the pulley position to the shaft and remove the pulley and put the JB weld on the input shaft and also inside the pulley.

3. - Reassemble it, tapping the pulley on if needed. Keep tapping equally on each side of the pulley.

4. - Then I would tack weld it in at least 3 positions, shaped like a triangle.

Just be careful about warping the pulley with too much heat from the welder. A warped pulley will make the tractor really vibrate and wreck other things and likely shred belts....

This is the equivalent of a tractor "Hail Mary"......

Based upon the picture you posted, the outer bearing of the transmission case appears to be full of metal shavings from the wear. Granted, there is a seal there, but it is likely worn. Before you install the pulley, I would clean that area very well with brake clean and also remove as much of the metal dust and shavings as you can. Its only a matter of time before it tears the seal and then the bearing out of the unit.
    rydplrs likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Thanks
    Is it possible to drill down in line with the splines....say 3/16 drill size..in perhaps 4 areas and drive roll pins in to snug things up?

Looks like you got nothing to loose but otherwise.

A couple tack welds couldn't hurt either
    rydplrs likes this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    There is a input shaft kit. Look it up on jdparts.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    X2

100% agree, the input shaft is not all that expensive. You can also price it out from Tuff Torque.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements