Today @ 03:40 PM
    Thanks

Impressions after upgrading from X350 to X495

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190330_085350.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	340.8 KB 
ID:	692738

I recently sold my X350 and purchased an X495 so I thought I'd share my thoughts on the two. I had purchased the x350 new when I moved to a 3-acre lot that's very hilly. At that point I didn't really know how I would use it beyond mowing, and I didn't have a full understanding of the x350s limitations. In addition I wanted an easier way to turn my boat/trailer around and park it in my shop. The X350 was not up for that task. When I found a used X495 with about 650 hours for $3600 I jumped on it.

The X350 is a fantastic machine with a very good 48" deck. For mowing only I really couldn't imagine wanting more out of it in most cases. 4-wheel steering is about the only thing I ever thought about it not having and I still wouldn't have paid for it for my use.

Ergonomics
    The X495 immediately stood out as having better ergonomics. I didn't buy it for this reason but its size, power steering, and hydraulic deck lift make it much more comfortable and convenient to use for extended times.

Mowing
    Both are very capable mowers of course. The x495's 60" deck and the power of the diesel allow me to mow much more quickly. Thick grass at full speed is no problem for this thing. The X350 is a strong mower but no where near the 495. I do have problems with the wide deck scalping at times. I've starting mowing with the deck a notch higher and that helps of course. I also am trying to approach hill crests head-on rather than mowing along them. That seems to help a little as well. The X495's weight tends to leave tire tracks when the ground is wet more than I ever noticed with the 350. That's just a product of weight of course. Naturally the bigger tractor and wider deck keep me from mowing some tight spots but only a couple in my case.

Pulling
    It shouldn't surprise most that these are in two completely different categories when it comes to pulling. I've never used a garden tractor to any extent and without demonstrating it, it's hard to describe how effortlessly the x495 pulls whatever I connect it to. So far it's only been limited by traction from the turf tires, not by engine or transmission. I've pulled a felled tree that was heavily entangled in vines up an embankment without hesitation. I've pulled small cedar stumps. I've pulled a trailer full of gravel up my fairly steep drive. And I moved my boat around. All effortlessly.

Limitations/downsides of the X495
    Some times I wish I had 4WD. I occasionally climb up steep, rocky hills, and get it in some situations where I risk getting it stuck (I haven't yet, fortunately). I would feel better if the front wheels were helping out.

As I mentioned, it's more inclined to leave tire marks when it's wet. And the town I live in has had 32.3 inches of rain in the last 90 days!

For some reason the grass cuttings ends up back on me and the tractor a lot more than with the 350. I have to clean the air intake grills often and the top of the mower deck is always caked with grass. I find this frustrating.

The hydraulic deck lift is convenient but it has a fairly slow reaction time. By that I mean that I pull the lever and there's a second or so before it come up. On the X350 I could approach a rock/root/stump and press the pedal to immediately lift the deck and go over it. That's not really possible with the hydraulic lift without coming to a stop first.

So while the x350 is a great mower for most applications, no doubt about that. But it didn't quite meet my needs. I'm very happy with the x495 even if I had to get an older one. I'm looking to put a 3-point hitch on it to pull a box blade over my poor rutted out gravel driveway. Did I mention how much rain we've had?
    Last edited by Virtual_Guy; 06-25-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    mark02tj, Jep, SulleyBear and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    Oh and between the power of the Yanmar diesel and that deck sticking out more than I was used to, I proved that the 495 will remove a section of fence or siding before I even know it's happening.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,285 Posts
    In my personal opinion, which is important to me () the 455, the X495 and the x595 are three of the VERY BEST lawn and garden tractors around. Very well built, excellent reliability and a rock solid reputation. Plus good looking machines. They are three of the heaviest machines in that size made in the last 25 plus years..........

I would have bought the x495 for $3,600 in a heart beat. I don't need one, but I would like to have one and with that price, that low of hours and that clean, I would have found a place to put it.....

They are really good machines. I would like to have one if I could find the deal you did.............

Congratulations, its a very nice clean looking machine. It doesn't have a twin available, does it?
    FortClatsop likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks
    Congrats on the new to you machine. There really is no comparing that series tractor to a modern x3 they are simply worlds apart in the work they can do.

The trick to the hydraulic lift on the deck is to let go of the lever as soon as the deck reaches the height stop. The hydraulic piston has far more travel than the deck height adjustor allows when set to a mowing height. The lag you are experiencing is the cylinder retracting extra length before it grabs the deck.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtual_Guy View Post

For some reason the grass cuttings ends up back on me and the tractor a lot more than with the 350. I have to clean the air intake grills often and the top of the mower deck is always caked with grass. I find this frustrating.

The hydraulic deck lift is convenient but it has a fairly slow reaction time. By that I mean that I pull the lever and there's a second or so before it come up. On the X350 I could approach a rock/root/stump and press the pedal to immediately lift the deck and go over it. That's not really possible with the hydraulic lift without coming to a stop first.
    A small gas powered or even the new battery power 58v blowers are very handy to keep these machines clean. Since the radiator draws the air through the sides and under the dash area, it attracts a lot of dirt and debris. But with the blower handy, it makes short work of it. My 455 does the exact same thing....

I carry the blower in the rear of the tractor on the weight bracket, with it strapped down so I don't back over it......that way when I am away from the house mowing, I can just stop and blow off the deck, dash and hood / side panels and open the hood and pull the screen and clean the screen, but also blow the air down between the radiator and support, cleaning the gap where the screen resides. Strap it back ion and go.

I carry the hand held Echo blower with the tube perfectly vertical behind me, with the blower on the weight bracket. You can also get a rear bucket carrier for one or two 5 gallon buckets and use that bracket to carry the blower unit in the rear if you need to have the blower with you....

Make sure the control valve under the foot boards is fully open for the hydraulic functions. Its a small shut off valve that is used to direct the fluid flow from the quick couplings to the rock shaft, etc. That might help speed things up, the other issue I found is you tend to adapt in your reaction time and anticipate the need to raise the deck a little sooner over time. Its the same with the snow plow for me.....on my smaller tractor.

They make a rear weight bracket for suitcase weights for that machine. Adding the rear weights will improve the traction and getting the differential lock pedal pushed early will also make a big improvement in traction. Just don't depress the differential lock pedal when the wheels are spinning......as it can damage the rear spider gears.

Enjoy your new machine. You will also love how fuel effecient it is compared to gas engines. Since you are going from gas to diesel power, Just make sure to treat the diesel fuel so you don't have any filter freeze or gelling issues when it gets colder outside...

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    In my personal opinion, which is important to me () the 455, the X495 and the x595 are three of the VERY BEST lawn and garden tractors around. Very well built, excellent reliability and a rock solid reputation. Plus good looking machines. They are three of the heaviest machines in that size made in the last 25 plus years..........

I would have bought the x495 for $3,600 in a heart beat. I don't need one, but I would like to have one and with that price, that low of hours and that clean, I would have found a place to put it.....

They are really good machines. I would like to have one if I could find the deal you did.............

Congratulations, its a very nice clean looking machine. It doesn't have a twin available, does it?
    Thanks. I was pretty surprised to find it at that price too. I kept looking it over to figure out what I was missing I'll let you know if I find another one.

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    Congrats on the new to you machine. There really is no comparing that series tractor to a modern x3 they are simply worlds apart in the work they can do.

The trick to the hydraulic lift on the deck is to let go of the lever as soon as the deck reaches the height stop. The hydraulic piston has far more travel than the deck height adjustor allows when set to a mowing height. The lag you are experiencing is the cylinder retracting extra length before it grabs the deck.
    Makes sense. I'll give that a try next time.

A small gas powered or even the new battery power 58v blowers are very handy to keep these machines clean. Since the radiator draws the air through the sides and under the dash area, it attracts a lot of dirt and debris. But with the blower handy, it makes short work of it. My 455 does the exact same thing....

I carry the blower in the rear of the tractor on the weight bracket, with it strapped down so I don't back over it......that way when I am away from the house mowing, I can just stop and blow off the deck, dash and hood / side panels and open the hood and pull the screen and clean the screen, but also blow the air down between the radiator and support, cleaning the gap where the screen resides. Strap it back ion and go.

I carry the hand held Echo blower with the tube perfectly vertical behind me, with the blower on the weight bracket. You can also get a rear bucket carrier for one or two 5 gallon buckets and use that bracket to carry the blower unit in the rear if you need to have the blower with you....

Make sure the control valve under the foot boards is fully open for the hydraulic functions. Its a small shut off valve that is used to direct the fluid flow from the quick couplings to the rock shaft, etc. That might help speed things up, the other issue I found is you tend to adapt in your reaction time and anticipate the need to raise the deck a little sooner over time. Its the same with the snow plow for me.....on my smaller tractor.

They make a rear weight bracket for suitcase weights for that machine. Adding the rear weights will improve the traction and getting the differential lock pedal pushed early will also make a big improvement in traction. Just don't depress the differential lock pedal when the wheels are spinning......as it can damage the rear spider gears.

Enjoy your new machine. You will also love how fuel effecient it is compared to gas engines. Since you are going from gas to diesel power, Just make sure to treat the diesel fuel so you don't have any filter freeze or gelling issues when it gets colder outside...
    Thanks. I'll look into carrying a blower of some sort with me. It's not really that big of a deal in the big picture, just annoying. I found a guy selling 4 suitcase weights for nearly nothing the other day. Went to meet him only to get a message that his son had sold them without him knowing. I'll get some extra weight soon though.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

Make sure the control valve under the foot boards is fully open for the hydraulic functions. Its a small shut off valve that is used to direct the fluid flow from the quick couplings to the rock shaft, etc.
    I may need to know more about this. How do I get to it?

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:48 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtual_Guy View Post
    I may need to know more about this. How do I get to it?
    If you have one it would be just under and behind the four quick connects.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Oh ok simple enough. I'll take a look this evening. Thanks

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Thanks
    Nice write up. I hope that folks looking to buy a tractor to maintain a 1/2 acre yard find this so they know what they are getting into when someone suggests that bigger is always better.

Your review does a nice job highlighting the tradeoffs and seems very balanced.
    BigJim55 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast