X300 Stalls after ~20 mins of mowing but stabilizes when blades (PTO) is disengaged
Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By JimR
  • 1 Post By rwmeyer
  • 1 Post By jc21
  • 2 Post By TJR345
  • 4 Post By xcopterdoc
  • 1 Post By adonnell

Thread: X300 Stalls after ~20 mins of mowing but stabilizes when blades (PTO) is disengaged

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-01-2019 @ 07:21 AM
    Thanks

X300 Stalls after ~20 mins of mowing but stabilizes when blades (PTO) is disengaged

Hello!

I have an X300 that I purchased new in 2006/7. It starts up fine and I can mow for ~20mins before it starts to stall. If I disengage the blades, the engine stabilizes and will remain running. Re-engaging the blades will cause the engine to stall again. After letting it cool for 10mins, I can restart it and mow for a few minutes before it stalls again.

I have cleaned the vented gas cap and even ran it without a gas cap but this had no effect.

I have not been running it on ethanol-free gas. But for 12 years I haven't been and never had an issue.

During the stall, the amount of gas visible in the clear plastic fuel filter is normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Stalling X300 - YouTube
    Last edited by adonnell; 06-29-2019 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added video link

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Thanks
    The problem goes away when the PTO isn't engaged so it would seem that your engine is fine. You have a PTO and/or mower deck problem from the sound of it. Being that it runs for a bit before the problem starts, it's likely heat related.

If it were my mower, I'd pull the deck and check the spindle and idler bearings. If those are good, the PTO itself may be suspect. It's got bearings in it too and they can go bad.
    Last edited by JimR; 06-29-2019 at 01:00 PM.
    Tomfive, Traction and adonnell like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

adonnell (06-29-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Thanks
    Not familiar with an X300, so just a question and possibilities!

Mechanical pto or electrical?

If mechanical pto, probably a problem with the deck. Most likely spindle bearings are heating up and seizing.

If electrical pto, coil could be "going south" and getting heat soaked. This will draw more amperage and take away from amperage needed to run engine. When engine begins to stall...or stalls...disengage pto, turn engine off, remove belt drive belt as quickly as you can, restart engine, and engage pto. If engine still falters it's pto coil. If not probably deck bearings. Bob
    adonnell likes this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rwmeyer For This Useful Post:

adonnell (06-29-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    07-14-2019 @ 05:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adonnell View Post
    Hello!

I have not been running it on ethanol-free gas. But for 12 years I haven't been and never had an issue.

During the stall, the amount of gas visible in the clear plastic fuel filter is normal.

Stalling X300 - YouTube

My two cents .... it could be be a fuel issue. I'm no fan of gas/ethanol blends for outdoor power equipment based on my own experience and that of others. They don't store well; an Echo service school I attended some years ago recommended no more than 30 days storage for a fuel mix without a fuel stabilizer and 60 days with. Ethanol has an affinity for water- what you saw in your fuel filter could have possibly contained water. Our 2007 X320 (closing in on the 1100 hour mark) has had an issue since new where it would occasionally backfire on shutdown ... sounded like a Remington 870 going off in the garage. Tried higher octane fuel (89 and 91 octane; E10 was the only thing available at the time) to no avail. Deere suggested idling 2 to 3 minutes and when that didn't work, they suggested suggested shutting down from medium rpm's which didn't help either. When ethanol free fuel became available I ran the X320 on that - problem solved! That was quite a few years ago. Last year, just for grins I ran a couple tankfuls of 87 octane E10 through it and the problem returned.

Fuel may not be your issue but it wouldn't take much to rule it out. I'd change the fuel filter and try an ethanol free fuel if available. If not, at least try a different brand/station/higher octane. Fresh plugs too if they've been in for a while. Let us know how how it all turns out.
    Last edited by jc21; 06-29-2019 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Brain cramp
    adonnell likes this.

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:21 AM
    Thanks
    How old is the battery, the electric pto needs power to run if your battery is getting weak it can't handle the load. Another thing to check also is the battery cables. I had positive cable that was all green with corrosion but couldn't tell unless you pealed the casing back a little.
    BigJim55 and adonnell like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Thanks
    A very common issue on the older X300s was ignition coil failure when hot. It sounds like a coil going bad. One cylinder is not firing and with the pto engaged the other cylinder can't handle the load. After the coil cools off it returns to working.
    When it starts to mess up, unplug a plug wire and see what it does. If there is no change. Then that is your dead cylinder. If it stalls, that was the good cylinder and your bad one is on the opposite side.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Tomfive, BigJim55, TJR345 and 1 others like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to xcopterdoc For This Useful Post:

jc21 (07-04-2019)

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    07-01-2019 @ 07:21 AM
    Thanks

Solved!

I resolved the issue and mowed for a solid 2 hours yesterday with no problems.

I re-seated and re-gapped the sparkplugs and it solved the problem. Perhaps one of the wires was loose too but I didn't think about that until after I had pulled them off.

Thank you, everyone! I appreciate the help.
    jc21 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements