Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: lawn tractor/ garden tractor recommendation

1. Top | #81

Last Online
    10-28-2019 @ 04:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tab665 View Post
    I'm not sure if I figured this out. certainly glad I passed on the arm rests. I'm actually pulling that trailer, had to make room in the shed!
    Why are you glad you passed on armrests? I mean they certainly aren't necessary, but they do make it more comfortable when mowing one handed. And easily flip up out of the way when you get on or off tractor
    TJR345 likes this.
    John Deere X590- 47 inch Snow blower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #82

Last Online
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Thanks
    oh, I should clarify on the armrest thing... simply put I don't think the seat is nearly wide enough for them to not rub my sides constantly. fault of my own, not the machine or part!
    SulleyBear likes this.

4. Top | #83
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:45 AM
    Thanks
    Congrats on the new tractor, I got mine back in June with tiller, bagger and I did get the armrest. Great tractor.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #84

Last Online
    Thanks
    I just got done mowing the yard down to 2 inches... time to oversees! it's been extremely dry here in NC. yesterday was our first day of rain in what seems like a month. with that said, I'm going to go ahead and remove the deck for the season and get the front blade hitch hooked up. I figure why not go ahead and jump into the deck removal and what not.
    SulleyBear likes this.

7. Top | #85

Last Online
    Thanks
    it wasn't fun, but it wasn't bad either
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191014_140024_1571076417795.jpg  
    SulleyBear and TJR345 like this.

8. Top | #86
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:07 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,462 Posts
    I'm going to go ahead and remove the deck for the season and get the front blade hitch hooked up.
    If this is your first time using the quick hitch, its pretty straight forward to install and use, but should you have questions, don't hesitate to ask as many of us have used this system for years.

The plow tripping is a very important safety function to help reduce or avoid damage to the tractor, plow and mounts as well as the object causing the plow to trip. Just make sure the pin, shown as item 6b is NOT locking the plow so the trip function can't work. You need the plow to trip should you encounter something as simple as a crack or uneven surface, etc.

If the plow doesn't trip forward when it encounters something, it will bring the entire tractor to a violent stop, not to mention can cause a lot of damage to the equipment and the surface, etc. This pin can snap into place and lock itself when the plow trips and slams back into the upright position. SO keep an eye on this. Some even remove the pin so the plow CAN'T LOCK itself from tripping. I have seen others tie the spring pin back to it can't accidentally move into position. It only has to happen to you once and it gets your attention, for sure..........

Plow tripping is a very important safety mechanism. This is why I don't like plowing snow with the FEL and bucket as there is no way for anything to "trip" and if you catch something with the corner or leading edge of the bucket, bad things are going happen.

I once broke my thumb when my plow corner caught an edge of a cement slab which the cold had lifted and the plow failed to trip. Not only did I break my thumb, I also ended up breaking the hood and side panels when the violent stop of the tractor caused me to slide forward and my knees struck the dash and and of the side panels and rear edge of the hood. Plus it wasn't good for the old knees.....A new hood and side panels with decals totals nearly $900.....plus the broken thumb........an expensive and physically painful lesson.

Swapping the plow edge from the steel "strap" to a rubber plow edge also helps provide a margin of safety should a rough edge or corner be sticking up. The rubber edge will cause the plow to trip less often, plus the rubber plow edge doesn't scrape or scar the cement. There are numerous threads about the different plow edges and their sources, advantages and disadvantages. But as always, should you have any questions, just ask........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_2019-10-14 John Deere Parts Catalog.png  
    Yank likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #87
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:07 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,462 Posts
    I just got done mowing the yard down to 2 inches... time to oversees! it's been extremely dry here in NC. yesterday was our first day of rain in what seems like a month. with that said, I'm going to go ahead and remove the deck for the season and get the front blade hitch hooked up. I figure why not go ahead and jump into the deck removal and what not.
    it wasn't fun, but it wasn't bad either
    Post to post, including taking the picture was just over an hour, which I would say you did very well. Nice looking tractor.

Welcome to GTT, by the way......

Just curious, what equipment or method do you use to over seed? Broadcast spreader, or by hand, selectively or the entire lawn?
    Yank likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. Top | #88

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'll be using a tow behind spreader. I got to get my whole lawn as I've neglected the grass and let weeds take over. unfortunately I just have a plugger. I've taken 3 laps now and enjoying a beer break. if I'm not able to achieve my desired results over seeding this fall and next spring then I might go to more drastic methods. thanks for the heads up on the blade trip. I already used the blade to shove some gravel back into the driveway. sure enough, the pin disabling the trip was engaged. it's been a long enjoyable day of making a trip to the dump (from clearing out my shed and lean to) and yardwork!

11. Top | #89

Last Online
    Thanks
    without taking the thread too far off topic, or without having to start a new thread.. i was wondering what tow-behind pluggers/aerators some of yall use besides the usual suspects of agri-fab and brinly. ive checked out online the turf vent and the trac-vac. it seems both have a higher density/count of plugs. are there any other "higher quality" options out there without going over 700 or so dollars?

12. Top | #90

Last Online
    Thanks
    well guys, i decided to remove the front blade and put the deck back on... without using the manuals. the front blade attachment went extremely smooth. however, installing the deck thoroughly whipped my ass. for starters, i dont have a very level area near my shed. the flattest area near by slopes a little to the left and right as well as up and down. simply put, its the best spot i got for having to carry the deck within a 25 foot radius. the next problem i had was i did things in the complete wrong order. it seemed that i could not get nearly enough slack in the belt so i slapped the belt on first. after that i tugged the front bracket into plate and then did the draft arms last. somewhere along the way since i has produced too much belt slack it came off on of the pulleys/ spindles. that then allowed a spring to fall off. instead of undoing my work i then proceeded to tug and pull the spring back into place. i did eventually get it, and i now have multiple bruises on my forearms a couple days later as proof. i think my issue arose at the very beginning when i didnt think i could get enough slack on the belt. second, i did everything all out of order. third, i should have just looked at the manual. Monday or Tuesday i got to do my break-in oil change. ill revisit the deck removal and installation again and see what i missed and why it was so difficult.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9