Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: lawn tractor/ garden tractor recommendation

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Thanks

lawn tractor/ garden tractor recommendation

hey, guys, new member here. im going to give a brief run down of my recent search for a new mower and include details of tasks id like to be able to do as well as property info and get your input on a recommendation. id like to start by saying i own an acre of land, but thats including my house and outside pool. id like to get a new mower that would be able to pull a plow. every year me and my wife borrow my dad's tiller to till up a couple areas for plating wildflowers, sunflowers, and zinnias. going forward we would like to possible begin a smallish vegatable garden as well. so im thinking a sleeve hitch with a couple different implements would do the trick. also, we live on a dead end non-state maintained road. here in the Piedmont region of NC we dont get a lot of snow, maybe 3 inches here and there, but it would be nice to use a rear blade for scrapping the driveway as well as a portion of the road since i will be getting a sleeve hitch. next, im way past due for a yard overhaul. im going to be doing some major reseeding this fall and will be pulling an aerator/ plugger around multiple passes in my yard. its one that belongs to my dad, i donnt know the weight of it, but its the kind that constructed of metal and you fill the central cylinder/tank with water to give it the extra weight needed. it gets heavy. lastly, i will be pulling a cart for various items ranging from multch to wood. i will probably also be pulling/towing rounds of hickory out the woods from a hickory tree i had taken down over a year ago. one last note, im a little over 6' tall and weigh 300 pounds (of solid steel and sex appeal*).

so, i go to the JD website. enter in that i will be mowing up to an acre, as well as select that i will be mowing, aerating, hauling, snow removal, and grading/leveling and the first model recomended is the E100 lawn tractor. the highest model recommended is the X370 and every model in between. is it safe to assume that this range of machines will do what ive described above?

* in my opinion
    mark02tj, theduke and Kbar like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 12:55 PM
    Thanks
    With wanting a sleeve hitch and the requirements that you have mentioned, ideally the x500 series would be a better machine to suit your needs. These have a better transmission for ground engaging work. The x700 series may be a bit overkill, but certainly will fit your needs. you should measure out the garden bed areas you want to till, to see if the machines will work effectively in those areas.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Thanks
    You can do all of your tasks with pretty much any machine but... you may not be happy with how well it performs while doing those tasks.

IMO, it would be a HUGE mistake to even consider anything in the E100 series or the S240. None of those should be used for any sort of heavy duty hauling. They are lawn mowers and shouldn't even be considered "tractors". The upper end models in the X300 series (i.e. X370 and up) are probably the minimum end of the range of machine I'd consider.

If you are looking at doing ground engaging work, the current X500 series is really the bottom end of that class of machines. Mind you, some of the smaller machines will do some of the tasks you list, but they may not hold up for long doing them. I have a D160 (which has since been replaced by the E160) and use it on occasion to drag around a lawn cart or a fertilizer spreader. Beyond that, it's a lawn mower...
    Gizmo2, mark02tj, AJgrn78 and 4 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks
    I can't tell you what to get, but I can tell you this...
    I have an x370, and would not use it for many of the things that you have mentioned. As someone else said, your search should start with an x500 series machine.
    Gizmo2, darkrt and Herminator like this.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    thanks for the replies guys. i was confused by the fact the 100 series thru the X370 were the machines recommended when i entered in my intended use. ive been looking at the X500 series but am i correct in thinking the biggest difference is the transmission? im not too impressed with the 12 gauge frame to be honest (the same thickness as the 100 series)
    theduke and Herminator like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:24 AM
    Thanks
    The 100 series, the S240, and the X300 series are not garden tractors and do not have an option for an integral (sleeve) hitch. As for the frames, there is a BIG difference in frames between the 100 series and X300 series, and a slight difference in the frames of the X300 series and the X500 series. Gauge thickness does not tell the whole picture. Do not consider anything below the X500 series if you wanting to put an integral hitch on it.
    Herminator likes this.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    12-05-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks
    You don’t say what your budget is, or your technical abilities ( as well as time) you can buy used, and several great deals out there, but normally ( not always) when you buy anything over 10 years old you are buying someone else’s problem, expect to spend time wrenching it. Having said that you can save a lot of money buying a gently used 500 series, with warranty still left.If you are not comfortable buying used, I’d start off at X570/580/590 if money is no object the X7xx series are Cadillac’s of garden tractors.. but expect to spend big bucks for new one and arm and a leg for implements
    John Deere X590- 47 inch Snow blower

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    im looking to buy new. my mechanic skills are terrible. id rather chop down a tree than get out my old chainsaw and attempt to get it running. im thinking about getting a quote on a X570 as well as a X590. the sleeve hitch implements are just so much cheaper than the 3pt hitch ones. especially when considering the smaller scale that my projects are. if i can swing the cost of the X590 i think that would be the way to go since it has the EFI (not so much for the hydro lift and power steering). it would be nice to see them use the EFI in more models.
    Herminator likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    12-05-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks
    The hydraulics on 580/590 is nice, you get power steering ( you dont think you need it till you use it) and its especially nice to lift tiller or snow plow, but I also get how easy it is to get into bracket creep with John Deere products
    John Deere X590- 47 inch Snow blower

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    12-01-2019 @ 04:19 PM
    Thanks
    Some great things to ponder in this thread Impressions after upgrading from X350 to X495.

Note that a x495 would be similar to a x7XX series in today's lineup.
    Last edited by denverguy; 07-01-2019 at 06:41 PM.
    mark02tj and Herminator like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast