lx277 lack of fuel

Thread: lx277 lack of fuel

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-05-2019 @ 05:52 PM
    Thanks

lx277 lack of fuel

Hi,
    I am new to the forum and attempted to search for this topic however, it kept taking me to a google search instead....

I have a JD LX277 v17 twin Kawasaki.

I just had it serviced by the dealership, however, they are no longer a JD dealership, just changed hands several months ago. I took it to them for the normal $300 spring tune up. When I got it back, the spindles were screaming! Wasn't like that when I took it to them. Long conversation and they agreed to fix it, paying 1/2.

I got it back, within a week had another issue, took it back to them, again, they paid to fix it. Got back again, and used it once, all was good. I parked it and it sat for 5 days, then I started it up and moved it 30'ish yards and it died, just like you turned the key off.

So I quickly decided it was the 2 spark plugs, pulled them and yes they were burnt. I put two new ones in and it still would not start. I used a bit of starting fluid and it would fire once maybe twice, then die. So.... I replaced the fuel pump. Same results. I also replace the fuel filter while there, still nothing. Based on another sites recommendation, I filed the pin on the fuel solenoid. Still nothing. So I used some start fluid again and it fired once maybe twice.

So it sounds like it isn't getting fuel, but the tank is more than 1/2 full. Where do I go from here? I really don't want to take it back to the local guys here and the nearest JD service center is about 60 miles away.

Thanks for any help!
    Kent

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks
    When you pulled the fuel solenoid, did any fuel drain out?

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I thought oddly enough, just a few drops. The bowl wasn't even full.

Thanks,
    Kent

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks
    I would suggest starting at the fuel pump, disconnect the output hose at the carburetor and crank the engine to see if there is any flow. If not, work backward to the tank - you might need to replace the fuel lines as they degrade over-time or you may have debris in the tank. It's also possible that your new pump is defective.

If there is flow, pull the bowl, remove the needle and float, then spray carb cleaner into the orifice.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you... I am pretty sure there is no flow. I have a concern now that it may be the pickup tube in the tank, didn't think of that earlier. Is there anywhere I can go to see how to drop the tank to repair the line?

I do not mind cleaning the carb either, while I have this rascal torn apart, I might as well take the time to get it all done.

Thanks - Kent

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements