x758 PTO cutoff
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: x758 PTO cutoff

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    07-10-2019 @ 11:08 PM
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    x758 PTO cutoff

    My new x758 has worked great for the first 40 hours. But now, the blades cut off while mowing for no reason. The past 3 times Iíve tried to mow my grass, the blades have cut off and I borrow a neighborís push mower which sucks. The grass isnít high, Iím not getting off the chair, not backing up without RIO pressed, etc. I can typically re-engage the blades but they cut off 5 seconds later. So to cut one circle around my house takes about 15 re-engagements. Iíve taken the deck off and rode with the PTO engaged and it still cuts off. The dash doesnít kick off any codes and the PTO light just flashes. Took it to the dealer and of course they canít reproduce it. Anybody experienced this or can think of why this could be happening?
    JD4044M likes this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Location
    UPSTATE NY
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    X758 pto cut out

    The PTO will not engage if the brake is set. Check that switch to see if it is marginal and cutting out the PTO when you press the brake pedal or hit a bump even without locking it. try taking that switch out of circuit to see if it goes away.
    BigJim55, raco232, TJR345 and 1 others like this.
    TIM
    2018 X758
    2005 KUBOTA B7610: 5' Front Blade, 5' Rear Blade, 5' Meteor 3pt. Blower, 6" Auger, Wallenstein BX42 Chipper
    2015 KUBOTA KX018: Thumb + 9", 18" & 24" Buckets
    2017 KUBOTA RTV500
    2006 Kawasaki 650i ATV

  4. Top | #3
    TJR345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:51 AM
    Location
    Area 51 in Cambria,NY
    Posts
    3,691
    Thanks
    414
    Thanked 473 Times in 364 Posts
    I had a problem with my X595 and X590 with the seat switch. It's so sensitive that when I would lean one side or the other it would cut the pto off. Hated to do it but had to bypass it.
    Tom

    2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    xcopterdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:44 AM
    Location
    nc
    Posts
    1,613
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 812 Times in 319 Posts
    The pto will also shut off if your engine is overheating. Check your radiator and screen. When it gets near the red it will shut off the blades to reduce load on the engine. Check that first.

    Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

  7. Top | #5
    mike01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,229
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 155 Times in 101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    The pto will also shut off if your engine is overheating. Check your radiator and screen. When it gets near the red it will shut off the blades to reduce load on the engine. Check that first.

    Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    On the X700s the engine shuts off if it starts to overheat, not just the PTO.
    raco232 and JD4044M like this.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

    Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

  8. Top | #6
    xcopterdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:44 AM
    Location
    nc
    Posts
    1,613
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 812 Times in 319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike01 View Post
    On the X700s the engine shuts off if it starts to overheat, not just the PTO.
    Never experienced that. Never mentioned during training. I will have to look into that.

    Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    JD4044M likes this.

  9. Top | #7
    SulleyBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Location
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Posts
    6,558
    Thanks
    1,345
    Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    Never experienced that. Never mentioned during training. I will have to look into that.

    Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    In the owners manual, it says

    ""Coolant Temperature Gauge - indicates temperature of cooling system. If needle on gauge reaches red range, the engine is overheating. If PTO is engaged, it will automatically shut off.

    If engine is overheated, disengage PTO, let engine cool at idle speed until needle returns to green range. Shut off engine and clean air intake screens and radiator screen. ""

    As you mentioned, This has been a feature of these machines for many models and goes back over 20 years. To me, Having the engine stop running because it's overheating seems counter productive to any attempts to properly cool an overheated engine down.......

    I didn't see anything about the engine ceasing operation when overheated as any sort of factory designed or intended damage prevention feature.......Everything which talks about the engine stopping running mentions a possible defect of the "Safety Interlock Circuit".......So if that is actually happening to an overheated X7XX series machine, it sounds more like a defect in the "Safety Interlock Circuit" than it does shutting off the engine when overheated being an intended response.

    Granted, eventually, every engine which is overheated will shutdown if the overheating continues uninterrupted. But usually, the overheating is a combination of restricted airflow or cooling system compromised and engine load. By reducing the load, the engine usually cools down even with the radiator screen and side panels obstructed. Certainly, cleaning the radiator screen and side panels / air intakes helps expedite the cooling process with the engine running.

    The manual actually instructs the operator to shut off the engine to clean the radiator screen and any other obstructions as a matter of safety, in reality, I know I always carefully pull the radiator screen and blow off the radiator and screen and entire area with my hand held gas powered blower......while the machine engine is running..
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 07-08-2019 at 06:40 PM. Reason: added content
    xcopterdoc and sennister like this.

    1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

    John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

    ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products





  10. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

    xcopterdoc†(07-08-2019)

  11. Top | #8
    xcopterdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:44 AM
    Location
    nc
    Posts
    1,613
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 812 Times in 319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    In the owners manual, it says

    ""Coolant Temperature Gauge - indicates temperature of cooling system. If needle on gauge reaches red range, the engine is overheating. If PTO is engaged, it will automatically shut off.

    If engine is overheated, disengage PTO, let engine cool at idle speed until needle returns to green range. Shut off engine and clean air intake screens and radiator screen. ""

    As you mentioned, This has been a feature of these machines for many models and goes back over 20 years. To me, Having the engine stop running because it's overheating seems counter productive to any attempts to properly cool an overheated engine down.......

    I didn't see anything about the engine ceasing operation when overheated as any sort of factory designed or intended damage prevention feature.......Everything which talks about the engine stopping running mentions a possible defect of the "Safety Interlock Circuit".......So if that is actually happening to an overheated X7XX series machine, it sounds more like a defect in the "Safety Interlock Circuit" than it does shutting off the engine when overheated being an intended response.

    Granted, eventually, every engine which is overheated will shutdown if the overheating continues uninterrupted. But usually, the overheating is a combination of restricted airflow or cooling system compromised and engine load. By reducing the load, the engine usually cools down even with the radiator screen and side panels obstructed. Certainly, cleaning the radiator screen and side panels / air intakes helps expedite the cooling process with the engine running.

    The manual actually instructs the operator to shut off the engine to clean the radiator screen and any other obstructions as a matter of safety, in reality, I know I always carefully pull the radiator screen and blow off the radiator and screen and entire area with my hand held gas powered blower......while the machine engine is running..
    10-4 Sulley. Thank you.

    Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 likes this.

  12. Top | #9
    sennister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 PM
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,777
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 199 Times in 165 Posts
    I know some of the older machines would shut down. For instance the old 318 generation. I want to say there is some thermal breaker that would trip. Also there is a known issue where kind of like circuit breaker. The more you trip it the easier it is to trip and you are better off just replacing it.

    Also on my X585 the overheating thing can't be in the cluster. If it does it, it has to be in the ECU somewhere because my cluster had issues and it would show the temp gauge pegged out and it would keep running. PTO and all. However the coolant temp sensor would have been reporting a resistance in the safe range so maybe that is why the PTO wouldn't cut out.

    I guess my thought is it could be a flaky connection or switch. When it cuts out, is it fine if it sits for a while. For instance if you stop for a break and then can't get the PTO going right away unless you wait a bit?

    I ask because while it is a different machine, the ZTraks sometimes do this when the PTO Switch is going out. Mine did this. It was still under warranty and I don't recall the order in which things were replaced but I got a new PTO Clutch and PTO Switch. I want to say one of them was swapped out and the issue persisted and then they swapped the other. I don't recall which was first but if the PTO switch is similar it might be the issue. Though I would hate to start swapping out parts as guess work as that can get expensive.


    JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

    JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

  13. Top | #10
    Firewood Bandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:47 PM
    Location
    West Central WI
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    In the owners manual, it says

    ""Coolant Temperature Gauge - indicates temperature of cooling system. If needle on gauge reaches red range, the engine is overheating. If PTO is engaged, it will automatically shut off.

    If engine is overheated, disengage PTO, let engine cool at idle speed until needle returns to green range. Shut off engine and clean air intake screens and radiator screen. ""

    As you mentioned, This has been a feature of these machines for many models and goes back over 20 years. To me, Having the engine stop running because it's overheating seems counter productive to any attempts to properly cool an overheated engine down.......

    I didn't see anything about the engine ceasing operation when overheated as any sort of factory designed or intended damage prevention feature.......Everything which talks about the engine stopping running mentions a possible defect of the "Safety Interlock Circuit".......So if that is actually happening to an overheated X7XX series machine, it sounds more like a defect in the "Safety Interlock Circuit" than it does shutting off the engine when overheated being an intended response.

    Granted, eventually, every engine which is overheated will shutdown if the overheating continues uninterrupted. But usually, the overheating is a combination of restricted airflow or cooling system compromised and engine load. By reducing the load, the engine usually cools down even with the radiator screen and side panels obstructed. Certainly, cleaning the radiator screen and side panels / air intakes helps expedite the cooling process with the engine running.

    The manual actually instructs the operator to shut off the engine to clean the radiator screen and any other obstructions as a matter of safety, in reality, I know I always carefully pull the radiator screen and blow off the radiator and screen and entire area with my hand held gas powered blower......while the machine engine is running..


    Good post!

    The only thing I would add is I also use a gas blower to blow the machine off after use. If the engine is running, the grass in the radiator is much hard to get rid of as the fan is holding the debris in to the radiator and screen. If you shut if off it comes out easily. I also blow from the engine side and dislodge anything you can't see. Cotton wood seed is the only thing I have seen make the temp climb, then it was pretty minimal.
    JD 2305
    2018 JD X758
    Simplicity Conquest W/turbo bagger
    Iron & Oak commercial splitter W/ hydro 4 way and log lift
    Husqvarna 346 XP ported x2, 357XP x 2, 562XPG, 372XPG, 288XP ported, 395XP NIB,
    Jred 2159 ported
    Echo CS 355T, & pole saw
    F250 Super Duty CC 8' box and 10,000# 18' trailer

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts