Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: JD 445 - started running poorly now wont start

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 AM
    Thanks

JD 445 - started running poorly now wont start

First let me say hello, My name is Greg and I am a new member in the Dallas Fort Worth area.

I have had JD mowers before but not this fuel injected type. I am on the verge of taking it to the shop for diagnosis, but thought I would give this forum a whirl first. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

I have had this high hour JD445 mower for about a year now and it has been running well up until recently. I love this JD, the best I have ever owned.

The first thing I noticed was that after starting it on half throttle, it took longer to warm up enough to go full throttle and turn the blades on. The next couple of times starting it, was hard to get it started. It seemed like I had to advance the throttle all the way up then put it back in mid position as it fired to get it to start.

THEN.... a couple days ago I went to start it, it would only idle with the throttle on low and would die every time I advanced the throttle. Weirdly, for a while it actually did idle roughly for several minutes on full throttle. (but usually died when I raise the throttle to high)

I have unplugged the fuel line and it is pushing a lot of fuel so I think that rules out the fuel pump. When it was sputtering along the other day I took the breather off and dripped fuel in the carbs and it briefly sounded just like it used to before the issues at hand.

Today I tried to start it again and it would only pop off for a second when I had the throttle in the lowest position... I cannot get it to run...although I didn't try the gas trick again.

Anyway I was guessing maybe the fuel injectors until I googled around to find out about MAP sensors and other electrical gremlins. I am hoping someone here has an idea what I can do to diagnosis the cause so I do not end up buying parts i don't need or incurring the time and expense of taking it to the JD dealership.

Thank you in advance for reading and contemplating my situation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    Have you looked at the ignition system? There is a box that fires the coils which in turn fire the plugs On the 445 it is the called the fuel injection/ignition module. Otherwise the single injector could be plugged. What is the status of the red and green LEDs on the safety interlock board? What is the status of the dash lights? (fuel injection lamp)?
    Last edited by bloodrunsgreen; 07-06-2019 at 11:50 PM.
    SulleyBear and Herminator like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Thanks
    I’m throwing a dart here but that sounds like a head gasket issue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:14 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome!

You didn't mention any maintenance. Is the oil clean enough to support compression? Are the air cleaners clear? Has the fuel filter ever been replaced? Plugs?

Possibly look at the spark plugs and verify spark. One cylinder tends to be richer and can fowl the plug over extended run times. (Years) Ignition coils also fail on these tractors.
    You can pull the air cleaner off and look into the throttle body and see fuel spraying down on the butterfly while cranking the engine. Because it's fuel injected the fuel pressure is critical. Should be 25-27 PSI. A plugged fuel filter will mess that up. And no, pulling the return hose is not a valid fuel test.

A weak or dead cylinder would exhibit the same issues you described on throttle up.

Let us know what you find.
    SulleyBear and theduke like this.
    2016 1025R FILB: Loaded R4's - 72# Starters - 60" MMM - Mechanical lift - 260 BH - H120 - 53" bucket - Ballast box - 647 Tiller - JD 40 gal 3 pt sprayer
    2003 X595: R3's - 62C MMM - 3 pt hitch - 47" blower - 80 cart - Brinly 24x36 roller - Parker lawn sweeper - 10 suitcase weights
    1994 445: Sold
    2004 X485 AWS:
    Sold

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you all for the help. I don't know why i didn't get an email notice that there were responses, but glad I checked back in.

I hope its not something serious like a bad cylinder or head gasket issue... although there is oil dripping a little from the valve covers.

I did not see a fuel filter but I will look again. The air cleaner looks fine and actually I had the cover off when dorking with it and it didn't make it run any better....except when I dribbled gas in the carb.

The oil looks brand new, but I have not run a compression check on the cylinders but will do that tomorrow.

I dont have a Fuel pressure tester so I suppose I will have to take it in to the JD dealer to have that done. I did pull the gas line and turned the key on and it spewed fuel for a couple seconds ... about 3 to 4 ounces.

I put new plugs in it the last day I fiddled with it.

I did not notice any lights on the dash light or fuel injection light but I will take another look tomorrow.

I have not looked at the ignition system and dont know what to do to trouble shoot that question.
    theduke likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Sorry to ask such basic questions but troubleshooting from a computer screen has it's challenges.

It seems like a fuel issue. The fuel filter is up along the frame, under the foot pan. I would pull the mower deck for easier access. Snap a vise grip on the fuel line entering the fuel filter. It still dumps quite a bit of fuel and most likely will be dripping off your elbows by the time you get the old one out. The couple I have worked on had the automotive type plastic release clips. Just make sure the O-rings and new filter are clean when you snap the new one in. This filter is in a very dirty location. I use the pressure washer and clean the area by the filter and let it drip dry.

It could be a fuel pump, fuel line, or pressure regulator. I would start with the basics first.

Also, I always ran seafoam in my fuel. Not worth the gamble in my opinion.
    Good Luck!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190708_044908.jpg  
    BigJim55 and raco232 like this.
    2016 1025R FILB: Loaded R4's - 72# Starters - 60" MMM - Mechanical lift - 260 BH - H120 - 53" bucket - Ballast box - 647 Tiller - JD 40 gal 3 pt sprayer
    2003 X595: R3's - 62C MMM - 3 pt hitch - 47" blower - 80 cart - Brinly 24x36 roller - Parker lawn sweeper - 10 suitcase weights
    2004 X485 AWS:
    Sold

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you for this advise and especially on how to find the filter. I will change it out first with my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Randog View Post
    Sorry to ask such basic questions but troubleshooting from a computer screen has it's challenges.

It seems like a fuel issue. The fuel filter is up along the frame, under the foot pan. I would pull the mower deck for easier access. Snap a vise grip on the fuel line entering the fuel filter. It still dumps quite a bit of fuel and most likely will be dripping off your elbows by the time you get the old one out. The couple I have worked on had the automotive type plastic release clips. Just make sure the O-rings and new filter are clean when you snap the new one in. This filter is in a very dirty location. I use the pressure washer and clean the area by the filter and let it drip dry.

It could be a fuel pump, fuel line, or pressure regulator. I would start with the basics first.

Also, I always ran seafoam in my fuel. Not worth the gamble in my opinion.
    Good Luck!

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks

Was not Fuel Filter, at least not completely

I went and bought a new fuel filter from JD and installed it. I also bought a $15 harbor freight fuel pressure gauge. I installed the filter and attached the gauge to the other end of the filter. I think it reads 7 psig.

When i hooked everything back up it will start momentarily when I have the throttle as low as it will go... but will not pop off at all if I try to start it with the throttle in any other position.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Bummer. 7 PSI, that won't cut it.
    Curious where you grabbed the fuel reading from?

The easiest thing for me to do is just snapshot the fuel pressure test procedure so you can study on it before attacking it again. I know we never discussed the fuel pressure relief screw, front left near the bottom of the throttle body. Its used to bleed pressure off when working on the fuel system and is normaly closed. "C" in the diagram. Just verify someone didn't open that and it's messing with the fuel system. You will need to find it to run the test anyway.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190708_204213.jpg   20190708_204201.jpg  
    2004 X485 AWS:
    Sold

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randog For This Useful Post:

DRobinson (Yesterday), rydplrs (07-08-2019)

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    I will read this later today and go test it again. My gauge appears to only go to 10 psig. I tried putting a picture of the tester in my last post but it wouldnt upload correctly. It is the harbor freight tester $13.99

https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-p...ter-62637.html

my reading was at the 0.5 and 7 mark on the top. (and I tested it by putting the rubber hose on the other end of the filter)... it did spray some gas out around my connection after the third try)
    Last edited by Gregory; Yesterday at 12:25 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast