Like Tree126Likes

Thread: First lawn tractor

1. Top | #1
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Thanks

First lawn tractor

I've always had what is considered a garden tractor. My last was a 1987 JD 316 that I got when I got my new '09 compact. It served me well for these last 10 years. Unfortunate that it developed issues that made my mind up for me to not put anymore money into it, and just get rid of it. I used it to cut the bulk of the grass around the house. It sat broke in the barn last year. I was able to part ways with it this past May. I push mowed last year and this year. Really too much manual mowing for sure.

My wife says to me you can't keep push mowing all that grass, and she is absolutely right. So what to do. I don't really need a garden tractor. A riding mower will do just fine. Well, I set out searching the used market. I wanted to deal with private sellers too. They are out there no doubt. My biggest concern was the distance I might have to travel to see one. I wanted to stay with JD, if at all possible. I would have settled on a Cub Cadet if it come down to that.

Well, I figured for the heck of it I'd try my JD dealer. Turns out he had a really nice selection of used. I kind of settled on an older one that was in really nice shape and looked well maintained. A 2003 LX277 with 588 hours. He told me the hour meter had stopped working at some point, and they estimate hours. If it's a well kept machine, hours aren't super critical, but my wife didn't like that. Actually, I didn't either. Plus the fact it was manual steering and the deck wasn't hydraulically actuated. I would have wanted to put a new seat on it too, as it had a few decent rips in it. There were some X Series all pretty nice, but I balked at spending alot bucks on used, so I quit and told my wife I think we're done here, and even though it's alot of work I'll just keep pushin'. Emphatically the wife said NO YOU WON'T!

She asked me what new would cost, and I said way more than we can afford to spend. She wanted to look anyway. They had a ton from the E Series to the really big X Series. Well folks, to cut this post off here, we walked out after signing papers on a sweet new 2019 X390! Go figure! It was mainly the wife's doing!
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:02 AM
    Thanks
    The x390 is nice, power steering and hydro lift. Did you get or look into the power mulch control. I got that with my 19 X590.
    glc, Levi, SulleyBear and 2 others like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 05:29 PM
    Thanks
    Nice mower and the wife is a keeper for sure !!!!
    glc, Levi, SulleyBear and 5 others like this.
    Ron
    2016 1025R SILB (Self Installed Loader Backhoe)
    54 Autoconnect MMM
    JD Imatch
    Several homemade Mods
    Ken's bolt on grab hooks combo , Diff lock pedal , Oblong slings , Backhoe Steps
    Piranha tooth bar
    Artillian forks
    Armstong Ag 4' Box Blade
    Fimco 40 gal. 3 pt. sprayer
    Blue Hawk (?) Plug Aerator

2016 x580
    Power Flow 14 Bushel Bagger
    Brushguard
    Jeff's LED Taillights
    JD Mulch Kit
    42 Hyd. Tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Thanks
    Yep, your wife is a keeper. I have a 2006 X320 that I bought new and it's serve me well over the last 13 plus years. I'm glad you stepped over the E series - after having a 318, I doubt if you would have like an E-series tractor.
    glc, Levi, SulleyBear and 3 others like this.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Thanks
    Congratulations on the new machine, so much nicer than whatever surprises may have been in store buying used.
    I'm really touched by your loving wife who doesn't want to see you suffering out there.
    That is a great blessing, take it from a lonely old man.
    glc, ColonyPark, Levi and 4 others like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    When I read the title I thought of it being a newbie with his first tractor only to find that very far from the truth.

Good for you on the new x390! I would have gone through the exact same process. Hate dealing with “people” so would be looking at dealers for used stuff. In the end I likely would end up doing the exact same thing as you did.

I’ve been tempted lately to get a dedicated mowing machine. My old 2520 does fine but it’s just hard to get in and off. And I don’t want a zero turn anymore as with a lawn tractor I could do other tasks like pull a cart around and stuff.

I’m glad you got what you wanted. Life is getting too short for us to compromise.
    glc, ColonyPark, Levi and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Thanks
    GLC,

A dedicated mowing tractor is the best solution if you already have all your other tractor needs covered by your CUT. You got a really nice one!!

At my prior Oregon property we bought an X304 for the wife to use (her choice...) because of the AWS and the many obstacles in our hardscape...the 322 and the X495 I had a while for the wide open areas were not well suited for that mowing. Mine was an early 2007 so it had the slightly more robust transmission than the entry level x300. Here are some shots of the yard area showing why an all wheel steer unit was a blessing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cherry blossoms starting 2010 low res.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	695468

Name:	side yard.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	695470

Name:	view from gazebo.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	695472

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuckv; 07-14-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    glc, Levi, SulleyBear and 9 others like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Congratulations on your new tractor. I am glad you purchased what I would call a "lawn tractor" instead of a "lawn mower". The X390 is even technically a "Lawn and Garden Tractor" as you can use ground engaging implements without any issues. It should last you for many years trouble free. Plus now you can mow and carry a cold drink, instead of pushing the mower.

As you know, photo's of the equipment are required here on GTT, while photo's of the operator are optional...... Otherwise, we consider such posts as "hearsay" when the evidence is lacking......

Looking forward to your new machines arrival home and your posting of the mandatory evidentiary photos.....
    Congratulations.....
    glc, ColonyPark, tj1 and 2 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks
    You did good, Greg and yes, that wife of yours is a keeper! The price may be a little hard to swallow now but I'd wager a Washington or two it will seem like a bargain ten or fifteen years from now. When we bought this place 12+ years ago we hadn't given much thought we to how we going to take care of the property. We looked at a few L series at the big box stores and finally decided to go to the local Deere dealer about 4 miles away. I was a little apprehensive- we live in farm country (there's more than few 9 series running around) and wasn't sure how they'd treat a little old homeowner looking for a lawn tractor. I needn't have worried. First thing the salesman (Dean) asks is "What do want to do with it?" and then " What's your property like? " I mention mowing 2.5 acres, keeping 300' of driveway and turnaround clear in the winter, two steep hills and that we'd looked at the L series. Dean says, "You don't want that" and steered us to an X320 and a 44" snowblower. I gulped at the price then but 12 years and almost 1100 hours later it seems like a bargain. I'm convinced we would have gone through two or three lesser tractors if we had decided to go cheap.

Best of luck on your new tractor. Post some pics when you get a chance.
    glc, ColonyPark and kylew like this.

12. Top | #10
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Thanks
    I know, I know! It didn't happen without pics. It will be delivered this coming week. I didn't even think of taking pictures of it at the dealer.
    Is a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty the norm?
    tj1, TJR345 and kylew like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD: