Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Anti Scalp Casters - X570

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-27-2019 @ 10:57 AM
    Thanks

Anti Scalp Casters - X570

I have an X570 that I use to cut my lawn. The lawn is tiered with slopes up to the flat tiers. The deck is level side to side and front to back (although I cannot get it high enough at the 2.5 deck leveling setting - a whole other story) and the anti-scalp wheels are adjusted as per the manual. I do not scalp the lawn which is great even when cresting hills. My issue is when I turn on the tiered part of the grass, the mower is often not on a level surface and the anti-scalp wheels sometimes cut into the turf. I was wondering if anyone has adopted casters of some sort as anti-scalp wheels as that would definitely eliminate my issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,215 Posts
    I have not modified my X500 deck anti-scalp wheels but I have experienced a similar issue to what you describe. Have you tried raising your anti-scalp wheels up one more hole? That may minimize the issue and still provide sufficient anti-scalp protection.
    TJR345 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    I'm just asking, but could it be a trait of the deck in combination with the terrain being mowed?
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Cutting at 2.5" is mighty short. Why not raise it to at least 3.5". Your grass will thank you and it won't burn up in the Summer.

Don't believe me, take a look at the rough on a golf course and generally that is not irrigated or fertilized near as much as fairways which are short.

BTW, what do you mean the anti scalp wheels are "adjusted per the manual?" I set them so my little finger will slide under them when the deck is down on pavement.
    darkrt likes this.
    JD 2305
    2018 JD X758
    Simplicity Conquest W/turbo bagger
    Iron & Oak commercial splitter W/ hydro 4 way and log lift
    Husqvarna 346 XP ported x2, 357XP x 2, 562XPG, 372XPG, 288XP ported, 395XP NIB,
    Jred 2159 ported
    Echo CS 355T, & pole saw
    F250 Super Duty CC 8' box and 10,000# 18' trailer

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Firewood Bandit View Post
    Cutting at 2.5" is mighty short. Why not raise it to at least 3.5". Your grass will thank you and it won't burn up in the Summer.

Don't believe me, take a look at the rough on a golf course and generally that is not irrigated or fertilized near as much as fairways which are short.

BTW, what do you mean the anti scalp wheels are "adjusted per the manual?" I set them so my little finger will slide under them when the deck is down on pavement.
    This is what the X570 operator's manual says:

Measure distance between mower wheels and ground surface. All wheels should be within a specific distance from the ground.
    Wheels-to-Ground Distance 6—13 mm (1/4—1/2 in.)
    glc and TJR345 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    ean

Last Online
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Thanks
    I have also experienced this when turning but for me it's because of a change in height of the terrain. For instance I'm mowing around a large tree trunk and as you get closer to the trunk the ground slopes upward to the tree. Usually if I am mowing the closest circle to the tree trunk I experience the anti-scalp wheel hit the ground and because I am moving in a more lateral direction with the turn the anti-scalp wheels dig in. If these wheels were designed to rotate in any direction this would probably not be an issue. Are there any casters which can swivel in any direction (like the wheels you see on the front of many zero turn mowers) but are built for our decks? Seems like a no brainer to me.
    X584
    54" mower deck
    47" snow blower

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-27-2019 @ 10:57 AM
    Thanks
    Sorry guys, I should have been more clear. I am cutting at 3.75 inches. Due to the terrain, if I lift the wheels up one more hole over the clearance that they should be, I scalp my lawn in places. I level the deck at the 2.5 inch setting and then set the wheels when I am at cutting height (3.75).

Glad that I am not the only one having an issue, it seems to be when turning on a surface that is not completely flat.
    glc likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    I'm subscribing to this post. I have a 2018 x739 w/ 54HC deck. I have this problem on several areas of my lawn. Its annoying and I am shocked that the front anti scalp wheels are not casters. I have a pain in the ass yard with all sorts of fancy beds and boulders and trees to work around. The issue only presents itself on tight turns on a decent slope.

I mow my lawn at 2.5". I enjoy having a well defined diamond pattern in my lawn, so I have the issue in several repeatable spots. I have tried adjusting my cross angles and the same issue happens in other areas. I set my antiscalp wheels with an 1/8" piece of melamine for clearance. It works amazing for everything else.
    On my 2nd JD Tractor. 2018 x739 w/ 47" Snowthrower, 54" HC deck, 14 BU MCS, 48" Dethatcher (Hydraulic), CTC FEL.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Swazimotto View Post
    I mow my lawn at 2.5". I enjoy having a well defined diamond pattern in my lawn, so I have the issue in several repeatable spots. I have tried adjusting my cross angles and the same issue happens in other areas. I set my antiscalp wheels with an 1/8" piece of melamine for clearance. It works amazing for everything else.
    What height does the manual recommend setting the anti-scalp wheels?

12. Top | #10
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    X739 manual specs anti scalp wheels to be 1/4" to 1/2" off ground.

Seems those numbers are for most lawn tractors. My X390 with the 48" ACCEL deck is the same distance.
    Last edited by glc; 07-25-2019 at 08:33 PM.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520