• 3 Post By cthomaswilson
  • 1 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: X300 "dying to get fuel"

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks

X300 "dying to get fuel"

My X300 was running fine for most of the day and then it just lost power and quit. I thought I was out of gas, but the tank was almost full. I replaced the fuel filter and while I was at it, checked to make sure that the fuel pump was sucking (which it was) when I cranked the engine. I then used LP air to blow into the fuel line see if there was a blockage between the fuel filter and the tank. I forgot to take off the gas cap before I did that and it popped the vent hose off. It was a pain to get it back on, but that proved that the fuel line wasn't blocked. After scratching my head a while, I tried that again with very low pressure to see if I could hear air bubbles in the fuel tank and instead, I heard a hissing sound that made me think that the fuel pickup was no longer connected inside the tank. At the local JD Dealer, one of the technicians said that on older tractors, it's not uncommon to have a fuel line get soft with age and collapse. You can still blow air through it, but you can't suck fuel through it. I'm going to replace the fuel line today and if that doesn't work, I'll try to remove the fuel pickup and see if I can find a problem. Fortunately, I have a borescope, so maybe I can look around for debris in the tank. This is very baffling.
    glc likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Thanks
    It sounds like your on a good track, but are you sure the ignition is working too? i.e. plugs, coils.....
    glc likes this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks

X300 "dying" to get some fuel - UPDATE!

Well, it was the fuel pickup causing the problem. It had a kink in it and I think I know how it got that way. There is a tether on the fuel cap that floats around in the tank near the point where the fuel pickup and vent lines enter the tank. One morning, I was going to fill up the tractor and when I loosened the cap, the tether seemed to be caught on something inside. I had to pull pretty hard to free it and I didn't have any obvious problems until the fuel level got down to about 1/2 full. At that point, the tractor died and so began this thread. My local JD dealer didn't have a replacement fuel pickup, so I ordered one. Meanwhile, I removed the fuel pickup, massaged the kink out of the rather flimsy plastic tube, added two layers of heat shrink tubing (to stiffen the tube and constrain it to being round), and replaced it. I'm not sure about the orientation of the tube, but I lined it up with what I think is the lowest point in the tank. I'll update again if I got that wrong. I can't find any information on the correct orientation of this pickup tube.
    glc, SulleyBear and kylew like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Sounds like you found the issue. Often, these cap "tethers" are more trouble than they are worth.....................I have had them twisted so tight it made removing the cap very difficult.......
    glc likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements