X540 Owner In Michigan, won’t run.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By SulleyBear
  • 1 Post By Luckyboy1!
  • 1 Post By jgayman
  • 1 Post By Luckyboy1!

Thread: X540 Owner In Michigan, won’t run.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 08:50 PM
    Thanks

X540 Owner In Michigan, won’t run.

I have a 2012 X540 with 169 hrs on it . A month ago I mowed then washed exterior and blew off and towel dried as usual. Since then I have no spark it did run after the cleaning with no problem. I have fuel, compression 115lbs per. No spark so I replace the spark control module under dash still no spark . I pulled the black wire (kill wire)of coils still no spark? I have replaced plugs filters ect. I also pulled the coils and remove slight rust on them and re-gapped at .010 , magnet is strong. There are no jumpers in place also. Please is there something I have missed? I thought that if the kill wire was pulled it would be simply mechanical spark? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thank You

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckyboy1! View Post
    I have a 2012 X540 with 169 hrs on it . A month ago I mowed then washed exterior and blew off and towel dried as usual. Since then I have no spark it did run after the cleaning with no problem. I have fuel, compression 115lbs per. No spark so I replace the spark control module under dash still no spark . I pulled the black wire (kill wire)of coils still no spark? I have replaced plugs filters ect. I also pulled the coils and remove slight rust on them and re-gapped at .010 , magnet is strong. There are no jumpers in place also. Please is there something I have missed? I thought that if the kill wire was pulled it would be simply mechanical spark? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thank You
    Just so we are clear in the sequence of events, roughly a month ago you washed and dried it and it ran after that without any problem. After some time passed following the wash, now it has no spark. Is that accurate?

How much time elapsed after the last time it ran and operated as it should and when it lost spark? Did anything else happen?

How are you confirming it has no spark?

Do you have a technical service manual for your tractor model? HIGHLY suggest you get a Deere Technical Service Manual as it walks through the proper diagnosis sequence and check list. You can get them in CD form or in bound book form. Some are even sold on Ebay and other online sources, just make sure the manual you purchase is the Official John Deere technical service manual for your model, as there are many generic versions that are junk in comparison.
    theduke and kylew like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Just so we are clear in the sequence of events, roughly a month ago you washed and dried it and it ran after that without any problem. After some time passed following the wash, now it has no spark. Is that accurate?

How much time elapsed after the last time it ran and operated as it should and when it lost spark? Did anything else happen?

How are you confirming it has no spark?

Do you have a technical service manual for your tractor model? HIGHLY suggest you get a Deere Technical Service Manual as it walks through the proper diagnosis sequence and check list. You can get them in CD form or in bound book form. Some are even sold on Ebay and other online sources, just make sure the manual you purchase is the Official John Deere technical service manual for your model, as there are many generic versions that are junk in comparison.
    About a week after I put it away it was time to mow again and no-start, I have a plug(glass spark checker) in that goes between the plug and wire very faint light up not enough to cross plug arc . Being that the kill wire (black) wires pulled shouldn't it spark as the flywheel turns(cranks)? I can't believe both coils could go at 1 time?. Thanks
    kylew likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckyboy1! View Post
    About a week after I put it away it was time to mow again and no-start, I have a plug(glass spark checker) in that goes between the plug and wire very faint light up not enough to cross plug arc . Being that the kill wire (black) wires pulled shouldn't it spark as the flywheel turns(cranks)? I can't believe both coils could go at 1 time?. Thanks
    That is my understanding too. I thought the ignition coils were only inhibited by the kill wire and without it a spark would get generated anytime the magnet on the flywheel passed by. I know a lot of modern tractors have fancy computer interlock modules but again, I thought those mostly worked in conjunction with the kill wire.

If my understanding is flawed someone please enlighten me. :-)

I have a tester similar to what you describe. Do both ignition coils generate the same faint light on your tester? Did you verify your tester is working by hooking it to another engine that is working properly?
    kylew likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Luckyboy1! (08-05-2019)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    That is my understanding too. I thought the ignition coils were only inhibited by the kill wire and without it a spark would get generated anytime the magnet on the flywheel passed by. I know a lot of modern tractors have fancy computer interlock modules but again, I thought those mostly worked in conjunction with the kill wire.

If my understanding is flawed someone please enlighten me. :-)

I have a tester similar to what you describe. Do both ignition coils generate the same faint light on your tester? Did you verify your tester is working by hooking it to another engine that is working properly?
    Thanks for your input. I did both sides and the same very faint glow on tester. I just don't see how both could go suddenly. Coils are $63.00 each . Really appreciate your help. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Luckyboy1!; 08-05-2019 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Miss speel

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    My X360 has a Kawasaki engine and from what I read it's not uncommon for the coils to go bad, even nearly at the same time. I thought it odd too. I did some research and found I could usually get the coils cheaper on Amazon, EBay, etc. by getting the Kawasaki number versus the JD number. Just FYI.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kylew For This Useful Post:

Luckyboy1! (08-05-2019)

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank You will try searching the Kaw#
    kylew likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements