Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: JD X495 intermittent overheating

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-07-2019 @ 07:56 AM
    Thanks

JD X495 intermittent overheating

Greetings all, I'm new to GTT - my 1st post.
    Wondering if I can get some advise on an issue with my 2005 x495.

Symptom:
    After cold start, and running for a random amount of time (anywhere between 15-45 min.) the temperature gauge will suddenly go from normal (about 1/4 up from cold position) to past the red (about as far as the needle will move). This happens in about 5-6 seconds.
    To cure this, I shut down and let the machine rest for about 5 minutes. I then start up again, and the gauge returns to normal operating temperature. It may randomly repeat this again.

This problem appeared for the 1st time after I pulled the machine out this spring (May, 2019) to start mowing. ( I don't use it during the winter, it's just stored in my garage).

I'm not sure if the engine is actually overheating or not, so when it happens I shut down, and continue on a few minutes later. (bit of a pain, but I don't want to damage the engine).

Could this be a rad cap, thermostat, temperature sensor, or coolant pump problem? Any advise is appreciated!

Side note: I use this machine strictly for mowing; I have no other attachments for it other than the 54" deck. About 650 hrs on the machine right now.

Jack
    '05 JD X495; 54" 7-iron mower deck
    2014 JD 1025R TLB; quick-attach 54" deck; pallet forks; 48" box blade
    1959 Massey Ferguson FE35 Diesel Deluxe

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:36 PM
    Thanks
    SulleyBear likes this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

4. Top | #3
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:36 PM
    Thanks
    It could be a thermostat issue. I'm guessing it's probably original. Might be a worthwhile shot to replace it.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    It could be a thermostat issue. I'm guessing it's probably original. Might be a worthwhile shot to replace it.
    It's the thermostat. Old guys that drove old cars know these things.
    glc, BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,419 Times in 1,355 Posts
    If you are using the PTO when the temp gauge goes nuts, does the mower shut off? My guess is that it doesn't which means the tractor isn't actually overheating. Plus, it can't change that drastically in temp unless something is plugged which would cause other symptoms.

Sounds like a gauge or ground issue for the dash to me.

Get a hand held infrared temp gun and point it at the radiator and see what the temps really are. It also can be used to tell if the thermostat is opening and closing correctly as you will see the actual surface temp of the radiator, the engine block, the radiator hoses, your forehead if you are really bored or other things if that of interest.........(Like the driveway in the sun, etc. I don't know what others were thinking......)

The reason I asked about the PTO is the mower has a built in safety switch where if the engine ie truly overheating, it will shut down the PTO until the temp returns to normal. It won't allow you to run PTO driven implements which add stress to an overheated engine.

You can get the infrared temp gun at Harbor Fright for about $25 or so........they are handy to have in your toolbox....

Please make sure to post follow ups and let us know what you find. Thanks and welcome to GTT...........
    glc, BigJim55 and kylew like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBL View Post
    It's the thermostat. Old guys that drove old cars know these things.
    That's what I love about GTT, we have lots of old guys with old cars and old tractors and many even have old dogs.

But our wives are all young, strikingly beautiful and its amazing they still tolerate us old guys...................thank goodness they do.
    glc, rtgt, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Jack, we are assuming that you keep the radiator screen cleaned out / off and the radiator is blown free of all dirt, dust and any debris. Same with the hood grille and side panels as well as the area directly in front of the seat, the lower part of the dash as that and the side panels are where all of the fresh air is pulled into the radiator.

It always a good idea to use like a hand held leaf nlower to really clean out the radiator and screen. Its a good idea to flush water through the radiator with the screen removed to keep the cooling fins cleaned.

I am going to bet with 650 hours of mowing on your tractor, you already know all of this and have been doing it.............

Have you ever had the mower shut down while you were mowing, but the engine continued to run at the same speed? If so, they you likely have a real overheating issue. If not, you likely don't.

The ultimate radiator cleaning tools are these, which I have. One is for hooking to your compressor for air cleaning power and the other is for hooking to the hose for water cleaning, once you have removed all of the dirt and debris. The design allows you to reach down across the front and properly clean it at every level, front and rear. They work very well. Note, this are for external cleaning of the radiator and they are handy for reaching into recessed and tight areas which need a good hosing with air and water...

https://www.amazon.com/Radiator-Geni...s%2C172&sr=8-1

Here is the temp gun I was referring to.............

https://www.harborfreight.com/infrar...ter-93984.html

Here is one similar to the one I have and really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...-1-spons&psc=1
    glc and kylew like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Thanks
    This is most likely the very common dash issue.

My X585 did this. It is the same generation machine just 4WD Gas not Diesel.

Odds are this is happening when running the PTO. Of course the first things to check are the screens but the engine should not randomly shoot up way past red if it was really overheating. Another test, if it is doing this when the PTO is running, does it go back to normal as soon as the PTO is shut off? As mentioned mine would peg out like this. It could be a hot 90F day cutting grass or -15F and I am running the snow blower. However just like that needle goes from normal to pegged in 5 sec when the PTO is running, as soon as I shut it off it would go back to normal. On those hot 90F days, there is no way simply turning off the PTO would cool off the machine that was my sign it was electrical.

I didn't have time to deal with it at the time and went to the dealer. That is a long story but lets just say they did the normal new T-stat, new coolant temp sensor and flushed radiator. None of that addressed the issue and the only one that could have possible explained it was the temp sensor but it wasn't that.

There is a documented issue with a bad ground on the dash. The fix is a new dash and bond a new ground to the ground wire. That said, if the dash is bad and you know your way around a soldier iron, why not try and fix it or ask around for someone that maybe knows how to use one. Worst case you wreck the dash and you would have to buy one anyhow. That is the way I looked at it.

Once I had time for the machine to be down for a while because I retired it from mowing, I went through a bunch of stuff and covered a lot of it in this thread.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...hing-x585.html

If you don't want to read it all you can jump to this post and start there.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...ml#post1047665

Once I got to this point I pulled the dash, opened it up and found several soldier points that were cracked from vibration. I desolidered them and resoldiered them. I also added a new ground wire that was spliced into the wiring harness on the ground plug. The combination of these two things resolved my "overheating" issues. As I said a JD dealer would just swap a dash and splice in a new ground. The dash runs a few hundred bucks. I resoldiered mine for a few pennies and some wire I had laying around.
    glc, Zebrafive, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-07-2019 @ 07:56 AM
    Thanks

x495 intermittent overheat - Thanks!

Hi all, thanks for your input!! Much appreciated.
    Heading out for vacation; I'll tackle the problem when I get back, guided by the suggestions.
    I'll post the outcome...

Couple side notes:
    * Well aware of the air flow issue through the rad - need to keep the intake area and the rad clean!
    * Issue happens when PTO is engaged. However, I don't run it much without the PTO engaged, as it's used just for mowing grass.
    * Didn't know about the PTO disengage, should overheat occur. In my case, the PTO (mower deck) never cut out when the temperature gauge went high.
    * Outside regular maintenance, this is the very 1st issue I've had with this machine - after 14 years! not bad! Except battery, every part is original, even the belt on the mower deck.

Jack
    glc, SulleyBear and kylew like this.
    '05 JD X495; 54" 7-iron mower deck
    2014 JD 1025R TLB; quick-attach 54" deck; pallet forks; 48" box blade
    1959 Massey Ferguson FE35 Diesel Deluxe

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlLogixMan View Post
    Hi all, thanks for your input!! Much appreciated.
    Heading out for vacation; I'll tackle the problem when I get back, guided by the suggestions.
    I'll post the outcome...

Couple side notes:
    * Well aware of the air flow issue through the rad - need to keep the intake area and the rad clean!
    * Issue happens when PTO is engaged. However, I don't run it much without the PTO engaged, as it's used just for mowing grass.
    * Didn't know about the PTO disengage, should overheat occur. In my case, the PTO (mower deck) never cut out when the temperature gauge went high.
    * Outside regular maintenance, this is the very 1st issue I've had with this machine - after 14 years! not bad! Except battery, every part is original, even the belt on the mower deck.

Jack
    As I suspected it is tied to PTO operation. I get that the machine may not be used much without PTO this time of year since most of them are used for mowing. Next time you see it happen, shut off the PTO while leaving RPM high and see how quick it goes back to normal. Remember if it was really overheating, on a hot summer day it would take quite a while for it to really cool down. Also the other clue it is a false reading is when you said that the gauge pegs out going past the red and how quickly it shot up that high. Combine that with the known issue with the gauge clusters on these with that exact failure means that odds are you are yet another one to join the ranks. The good news is that it isn't really overheating. I ran mine for about 2 years like that. I knew it was electrical. While it isn't good to run with an electrical issue, it never caused an issue other than the condition worsening to also do that to my fuel gauge. The Dealer was no help and caused more issues than they fixed. Even though this is a documented issue in the JD system. They just had to look. I had a hard time to take the machine out of service for a couple weeks to try and track it down on my own when I am running the mower a couple times a week. Tackling it in the winter was also hard. I may not use to for a few weeks at a time but I have little notice to when there would be a big snow storm that I need to plow or blow my driveway. It is way too big to shovel. Ended up going with a dedicated mower (Z950R) so a couple summers ago I went through the X585 and fixed this issue along with several other small issues and some rust.

Knowing the issue, and yours appears the same as what I had, it could be a Sat afternoon job start to finish. The dash will need to come out. I don't remember what needs to come off to get to that point. You might be able to just open the hood, remove the two side screens and there are a couple mounting bolts on the side. If you look at my thread I posted before you can see how I had all the body work off. That was because I was sand blasting and painting the foot rest as well as I had to get under the seat. I also had to open up the operator station a lot more to address my floppy parking brake issue. It was just easier to completely skin the machine so I could clean it good before starting.
    glc and SulleyBear like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast