Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: X750 vs X758

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks

X750 vs X758

I would just like to hear some thoughts or opinions about these two tractors. Is four wheel drive the only difference? My yard is pretty flat, think I would need the four wheel drive? Any other differences? Looking at 60 inch deck also. Any experiences with it? Thanks, guys.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2017 X580
    Model 80 trailer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yank View Post
    I would just like to hear some thoughts or opinions about these two tractors. Is four wheel drive the only difference? My yard is pretty flat, think I would need the four wheel drive? Any other differences? Looking at 60 inch deck also. Any experiences with it? Thanks, guys.
    All Wheel Drive, not technically 4 wd. For this machine, the AWD is far superior in my opinion as its an automatic system. It also doesn't turf the lawn when turning.

The x758 is the All Wheel Drive diesel GT, the flagship of Deere's Lawn and Garden line up. Thex754 is the all wheel steer in the two wheel drive model and the x750 is the two wheel drive diesel GT. My other tractor is a predecessor to the x750 and it has been a great machine.

Hands down, I would buy the x758.....However, if this is strictly for mowing and you have a lot to mow and that is what you are seeking, I would go the commercial zero turn. The difference in the commercial machines and the residential machines is why I stress the commercial machine.

If the goal is to do other small tractor things including mowing without a FEL, then the x758 is as good as they get in my opinion.

I have mowed with a 60" deck for 25 years plus and had no issues. If they are set up correctly and used correctly, no issues. It's handy to have the extra 6" to reach into areas where the smaller deck can't. Plus, who doesn't like having a big deck? I know I do......
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 08-06-2019 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Deck infor added
    BigJim55, KDNitz, Randog and 2 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 AM
    Thanks
    I have the x750 and love it! I found mine used on craigslist with 79 hours...paid under $8k for it. Couldn't pass up that deal! I'm not a fan of zero turns.

If I had the $$$ and was buying new, I would have opted for the 4x4 x758. Do I really need a 4x4? Nope. But as Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith once said, "overkill is underrated..." (The A-Team).

The x750 suits my needs. Not having the 4x4 system is just one less thing to worry about / break down / perform service on...(can you hear my convincing myself that a 2 wheel drive tractor is good enough for me... )

This is my first diesel, and it's great. Power is outstanding from the Yanmar. Burns less fuel than previous JD gas tractors. I absolutely love the way it sounds and the diesel exhaust smell (wife thinks i'm crazy).

If you have the $$$, and want the 4x4, by all means, get the x758. I do not believe you will be disappointed!
    2015 John Deere x750, 60" HC Deck
    1979 Lawn-Boy 7268 ("Frank")
    2007 Lawn-Boy 10797 ("Sally")

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    All Wheel Drive, not technically 4 wd. For this machine, the AWD is far superior in my opinion as its an automatic system. It also doesn't turf the lawn when turning.

The x758 is the All Wheel Drive diesel GT, the flagship of Deere's Lawn and Garden line up. Thex754 is the all wheel steer in the two wheel drive model and the x750 is the two wheel drive diesel GT. My other tractor is a predecessor to the x750 and it has been a great machine.

Hands down, I would buy the x758.....However, if this is strictly for mowing and you have a lot to mow and that is what you are seeking, I would go the commercial zero turn. The difference in the commercial machines and the residential machines is why I stress the commercial machine.

If the goal is to do other small tractor things including mowing without a FEL, then the x758 is as good as they get in my opinion.

I have mowed with a 60" deck for 25 years plus and had no issues. If they are set up correctly and used correctly, no issues. It's handy to have the extra 6" to reach into areas where the smaller deck can't. Plus, who doesn't like having a big deck? I know I do......
    I have multiple motivations here. I have my 2038 for tractor work, so a 7 series mower would just mostly be a mower. I do need to pull a cart quite a bit, which is why I haven’t thought of a zero turn. I moved to a house with a much larger yard, so the 60 inch deck is attractive. I have try to increase my mowing speed with the 580, but it bogs down. Hoping that going to a Diesel engine and larger deck would speed things up. I even thought about getting the 72 inch deck for the 2038, but I would have to trim a lot of trees and worry about mowing with a soft yard in spring. I really am confused.
    Last edited by Yank; 08-06-2019 at 07:58 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    2017 X580
    Model 80 trailer

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 04:27 PM
    Thanks
    The AWD on the x758 will go a long way to preventing any wheel slips in wet locations. You also won't have to add any extra ballast weight to the tractor to get more traction.

As Sulley said the AWD drive system is always there and always working. You never have to think about it and you never really notice it. The tractor just always goes where you want it to and never slips a wheel.

The other major plus to the AWD x758 over the x750 is when you use the drive over deck. With the AWD you simply drive the front wheels over the deck which makes it very easy to see and line up. With the x750, and all the other 2wd x7s, you have to drive the rear tires over the deck to get the deck back on. The dealer who sold me my x738 said he wishes he never bought the x754 because backing over the deck was a PITA.

If the x758 is an option for you to get as a mower I wouldn't even think of considering anything else.
    BigJim55 and Yank like this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 08:37 PM
    Thanks
    I'd like to second SulleyBear's opinion to look at a zero turn. I've always thought that if I could have two machines it would be a zero turn for mowing and a 2/3 series for everything else.

1. If you want to mow faster - zero turn wins.
    2. If you have a lot of trees or want to eliminate or reduce trimming - zero turn wins.
    3. You can get a diesel powered zero turn.
    4. You can easily pull a cart with a zero turn. (Unless it's loaded REALLY heavy)
    5. Zero turns are fun.
    If you really want a tractor the X758 would be a fantastic choice. I would never even be able to tell that it was an AWD machine if I didn't know.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rottendiesel; 08-07-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    X758
    54HC Deck w\auto-connect
    54 Quick Hitch Snowblower

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Do you think the 750 or 758 with 60 deck will mower faster than a x580 with 54? Does more torque allow faster ground speed mowing?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    2017 X580
    Model 80 trailer

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 04:27 PM
    Thanks
    All things being equal in terms of grass conditions, the x7's will be faster mowers. I wouldn't expect any real difference in mowing speed between the diesel x7's.

I was mowing baseball fields this spring and I ran my x738 with my foot to the floor in the outfields. With the 54HC deck and full time mulch kit it always left a perfect cut and never left a clump. Obviously in different grass conditions your ground speed is going to vary and you will adjust it to get the cut you are looking for.

The 54HC and 60HC decks for the x7's are similar in looks to the accel decks on the x5's, but the HC decks are almost an inch deeper and are built much heavier.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Thanks
    I mowed for many years with my X585 which in the number scheme of current models equal to the X738 (gas, 4wd, 2ws). Now I ran the 54" deck but never had an issue bogging it down. Going Diesel on a X won't really change much for performance (torque) but will for fuel economy over the gas version. I now mow with a ZTrak and have the X585 around more for light FEL work in warm weather and plowing/snow blowing in the winter.

Sure I went from a 54" deck on the X to a 60" deck on the Z which will speed things up a bit, but that can't explain the roughly 1.5 hrs I shaved off my my mowing session. A big part of those savings come from cutting around trees. With the X it was two passes around every tree. With the Z, one. Even on the wide open areas my cut speed is faster. Nothing to do with torque of the engine, all to do with spindle speed. The blades on a Z spin a lot faster than on a normal deck. Blades spin in a circle so half of the arc is retreating or moving backwards compared to the direction of travel. The faster ground speed, the slower the blade is spinning on that retreat part of the arc. By increasing spindle speed, you are lessening the impact of that reduction in speed on the retreating arc when you are running a higher ground speed.

While my Z will do 12MPH and my X 8MPH, I don't mow with either machine at max ground speed not because of torque, simply because cut quality is reduced at those high ground speeds. That said I will mow with my Z at closer to 8MPH where the X is closer to 5 when mowing. Combine that with less passes around trees, not stupid RIO to slow you down and a Z is a tough machine to beat if all you are doing is mowing.

I will say there is one drawback. The Z950R at least is a thirsty machine to run. There are diesel options out there. I looked at it but when I bought the only one was the Z977R which was something like $10K more than the Z950R.

They do make a hitch for at least the Z9xx machines to pull a cart. You just have to be cautious with it and not do a pivot or you will whip that cart all over the place.
    BigJim55, mark02tj and Yank like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yank View Post
    Do you think the 750 or 758 with 60 deck will mower faster than a x580 with 54? Does more torque allow faster ground speed mowing?
    Yank,
    Apples to apples the X758 will mow quicker than the X580. I'm saying this because I owned a 580 before I bought my X738 and both have/had 48" decks. The first thing I did was mow the front 1/2 acre, which is all hill. I was able to mow much faster and complete the mow in much less time on the X738. It was more stable, turned just as easy, took bigger bites, and most of all I didn't have to baby the machine in the corners just to keep from tearing up the turf. The full time 4wd is fantastic, really fantastic.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast