GreenTractorTalk.com - John Deere Forum & Information Site
Case Colt Ingersoll

Playing in the mud

Thread: Playing in the mud

Tags: None
  1. CJadamec said:

Playing in the mud

Never tried to link a video before so ....

Did a bunch of grading over the weekend and then we had over an inch of rain. Naturally I had some very soft soil where I piled up all the loose material to try and raise the grade. Since it needed compacting and it was soo wet I thought my x738 was heavy enough to get the base layer nice and firm. Sure did leave some ruts but those can be smoothed out easy enough with the box blade.

Going downhill is the easy part in the mud but getting back up the hill is what what really makes the AWD x7s shine. In the video the tractor has the mower deck off, a quick hitch on the rear (80lbs), and 120lbs of front ballast that I use for box blading.
    X738 thru mud - YouTube

X738 in the mud again - YouTube
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

coaltrain said:
    That's some slimy stuff!
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

3. CJadamec said:
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    That's some slimy stuff!
    It's pretty nasty stuff but running thru it when it's that slick really helps pack it down and stick the loose overburden to the soil underneath. A few passes withe the box blade should smooth things out after it dries.

Really do like how the tractor just powers thru all the slick mud going uphill without needing the diff lock or any careful driving on my part.
    Woods GBC48 box scraper

BOBL said:
    You're making me feel so much better about my new X738. You need the grapple I bought and then nothing will stop you....Ever.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

5. CJadamec said:
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBL View Post
    You're making me feel so much better about my new X738. You need the grapple I bought and then nothing will stop you....Ever.
    That grapple is on my wish list for sure it really could help out with a lot of chores.

I didn't buy the front hitch when I got the tractor and that really makes stepping into a from attachment pricey. One of these days I will talk the wife into working one of those into the budget.

The front hitch is the only thing I've ever regretted about buying my x738. It's everything I ever could have wanted and all the things I never knew I needed in a tractor.
    Woods GBC48 box scraper

BOBL said:
    Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    That grapple is on my wish list for sure it really could help out with a lot of chores.

I didn't buy the front hitch when I got the tractor and that really makes stepping into a from attachment pricey. One of these days I will talk the wife into working one of those into the budget.

The front hitch is the only thing I've ever regretted about buying my x738. It's everything I ever could have wanted and all the things I never knew I needed in a tractor.
    I've always had a sleeve hitch and front hitch on every tractor I've owned. My first good GT was a Sears GT18. What a beast, but no diff lock and no hydraulics. I did put the electric lift system in though, and that made all the difference in the world.

I plow my driveway, but the GT18 got tired and the blade had to be replaced twice. This past winter I plowed with my X580 and was stunned with the difference in performance. Now let's see what a 4wd X738 will do with full dual hydraulics up front will do for me.

So now the 738 with quick hitch, dual hydraulics up front and a 3pt hitch in the rear. The best part is being able to use attachments I bought for the GT18 37 years ago. Now that's getting your moneys worth.

Best of luck with the 738 and get the front blade with full hydraulics ASAP. It should push that mud like melted butter.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

7. CJadamec said:
    No need for the front blade. The box blade moves and levels dirt like no tomorrow.

I want that grapple and the snowblower.... But
    Woods GBC48 box scraper