• 1 Post By jgayman
  • 1 Post By tab665

Thread: X300-X500 Steering Gear - not ready for NASCAR

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 10:46 AM
    Thanks

Thumbs up X300-X500 Steering Gear - not ready for NASCAR

For all of you that have an X300-X500 riding lawn mowers, I don't have to tell you how reliable they are. I just keep clean oil in the engine, sharpen the blades frequently, and grease all of the fittings. BUT, some of you may have noticed that the steering gear wears out on the side associated with left turns. This makes sense, because the grass discharge is on the right side and most people mow counter-clockwise (like NASCAR drivers) so that the grass always discharges onto the previously cut grass. Alas, this behavior causes the steering gear to wear out on one side. It would be a good thing to make this gear out of a thicker piece of metal or, perhaps, make the side associated with left turns a little thicker. That would be a small design change to enhance the reliability. These gears cost about $60.
    kylew likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,256 Posts
    I keep my sector gear and pinion clean and lube with a little white lithium grease each time I service the tractor. I also have the mulch kit installed so I can trim on the left or right side. :-)
    kylew likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:47 AM
    Thanks
    The steering system is pretty robust and we don't see very many issues with parts wear. Had 3 in this month, 2 bent front axles and 1 broken. But the sector gear and steering shafts were fine.
    If yur gonna lube I would consider a spray on dry type stuff.
    Also keep the steering spindles lubed well. The lesser the steering force the better. I lube mine every other use. Just a couple pumps along with blade spindles.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    jgayman and mark02tj like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 10:46 AM
    Thanks

Good suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    The steering system is pretty robust and we don't see very many issues with parts wear. Had 3 in this month, 2 bent front axles and 1 broken. But the sector gear and steering shafts were fine.
    Also keep the steering spindles lubed well. The lesser the steering force the better. I lube mine every other use. Just a couple pumps along with blade spindles.

I don't recall every putting lube on the steering gear, but now that this has worn so severely, I may start spraying it with moly-disulfide. This is one of those things that I normally wouldn't have though about servicing. I do a pretty good job of servicing all of the grease fittings.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post

How do you get to the steering spindle. I have a x580.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cthomaswilson View Post
    , some of you may have noticed that the steering gear wears out on the side associated with left turns. This makes sense, because the grass discharge is on the right side and most people mow counter-clockwise (like NASCAR drivers) so that the grass always discharges onto the previously cut grass. Alas, this behavior causes the steering gear to wear out on one side.
    Sounds like it would be a good idea to add some road courses to your mowing schedule, so you can turn left and right, just watch out for the "Bus Stop" on the road courses as it tends to cause some issues at high speeds......

How many hours are on your machine?

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:57 AM
    Thanks
    This guy talks about the steering in his video starting at about the 17 minute mark.
    2016 John Deere X570 - 250-Hour Update (Long Overdue) - YouTube

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RichVT View Post
    This guy talks about the steering in his video starting at about the 17 minute mark.
    2016 John Deere X570 - 250-Hour Update (Long Overdue) - YouTube
    I always get a kick out of these guys who get all hopped up over the robustness of their "garden tractor". In this video the guy points out the heavy duty 5-bolt hub on the rear wheels and goes on about how it's more sturdy than other tractors with a typical "axle key and snap ring". Little does he know that the "heavy duty" 5-bolt hub is secured to the axle with a simple key and snap ring. :-)

I doubt he even realizes that the X500 uses the same chassis as the X300.
    Last edited by jgayman; 08-23-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    JD4044M likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    watch some of his plow day videos. I think that kid had a better understanding of what is and what isn't a garden tractor than the majority of the posters here.
    jim16 likes this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tab665 For This Useful Post:

jim16 (09-07-2019)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements