No Brakes on LA105
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: No Brakes on LA105

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 01:37 PM
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    No Brakes on LA105

    I lost the brakes on my John Deere LA105. I replaced the brake pads and adjusted them all the way in but that didn't do anything to remedy the situation. Are these brakes strictly mechanical? What do I do next?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    glc
    glc is offline
    glc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Location
    Big Beaver,Pa
    Posts
    5,157
    Thanks
    515
    Thanked 394 Times in 353 Posts
    Greg from western pa



    2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

    2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

    MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

    MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

  4. Top | #3
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:24 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,762
    Thanks
    366
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagsmich View Post
    I lost the brakes on my John Deere LA105. I replaced the brake pads and adjusted them all the way in but that didn't do anything to remedy the situation. Are these brakes strictly mechanical? What do I do next?
    Yes, the brakes are mechanical. Do you have NO brakes or POOR brakes? Did installing new pads help at all? Were you able to confirm that the linkage is all working such that when the pedal is pressed it is applying pressure to the brake disc on the side of the transmission?

    My brother has a problem with his LA105 brakes in that there is a small leak that keeps making the pads oily. So if he replaces the pads he has brakes for about a week and then looses them again. Your problem sounds different.

    Below is the parts diagram for the pads and brake disc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LA105_brakes.jpg  
    xcopterdoc and kylew like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    xcopterdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Location
    nc
    Posts
    1,653
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 863 Times in 330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Yes, the brakes are mechanical. Do you have NO brakes or POOR brakes? Did installing new pads help at all? Were you able to confirm that the linkage is all working such that when the pedal is pressed it is applying pressure to the brake disc on the side of the transmission?

    My brother has a problem with his LA105 brakes in that there is a small leak that keeps making the pads oily. So if he replaces the pads he has brakes for about a week and then looses them again. Your problem sounds different.

    Below is the parts diagram for the pads and brake disc.
    The trans is grease packed. Common for the shaft at the brake disk to leak and soak the pads with yack. You can remove and clean the pads with brake cleaner. Clean the disk and reinstall. Adjust as needed.

    Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    jgayman and SulleyBear like this.

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 01:37 PM
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    not oil or grease

    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    The trans is grease packed. Common for the shaft at the brake disk to leak and soak the pads with yack. You can remove and clean the pads with brake cleaner. Clean the disk and reinstall. Adjust as needed.

    Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Nope everythiing is clean, no oil or grease.

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 01:37 PM
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    No brakes at all

    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Yes, the brakes are mechanical. Do you have NO brakes or POOR brakes? Did installing new pads help at all? Were you able to confirm that the linkage is all working such that when the pedal is pressed it is applying pressure to the brake disc on the side of the transmission?

    My brother has a problem with his LA105 brakes in that there is a small leak that keeps making the pads oily. So if he replaces the pads he has brakes for about a week and then looses them again. Your problem sounds different.

    Below is the parts diagram for the pads and brake disc.
    No brakes at all. I took it apart cleaned everything, tried tightening the middle adjustment bolt all the way and nothing. No brakes at all.

  9. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 01:37 PM
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Video

    I would attach a video of me pressing the foot pedal, but its too large of a file. The footpedal and linkage work the linkage goes back and forth but no brakes.

  10. Top | #8
    MacCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:06 PM
    Location
    Northern Minnesota
    Posts
    382
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 41 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagsmich View Post
    I would attach a video of me pressing the foot pedal, but its too large of a file. The footpedal and linkage work the linkage goes back and forth but no brakes.
    ...and the pads actually move and close on the disk?
    jgayman likes this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

  11. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:14 PM
    Location
    Athens, TN
    Posts
    362
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 83 Times in 67 Posts
    Looking at the parts catalog page(s), I can't comprehend how the brake disc, item 7, is held onto the shaft. Perhaps a pin or setscrew fell out or a key sheared.

    Jack tractor and put on jack stands. Turn rear wheel and see if brake disc rotates. Then have some press brake pedal and see if brake disc stops rotating. Bob
    SulleyBear and jimmylh like this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

  12. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 01:37 PM
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Figured it out

    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    Looking at the parts catalog page(s), I can't comprehend how the brake disc, item 7, is held onto the shaft. Perhaps a pin or setscrew fell out or a key sheared.

    Jack tractor and put on jack stands. Turn rear wheel and see if brake disc rotates. Then have some press brake pedal and see if brake disc stops rotating. Bob
    You hit the nail on the head. The inside of the disk is stripped. it just spins.

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •