Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Deciding on a X390 or not.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:45 PM
    Thanks

Deciding on a X390 or not.

Hi everyone.

I currently have a D130 that's 5 years old and knock on wood, it's still mowing. I got it before we moved to the lake. It currently has 327 hours on it. It's maintained on a regular basis.

We now mow 2 acres of sloped, nut not hilly lawn. No issues with the D130. I know this machine won't last forever and I'm starting the shopping process.

I don't need a mower with attachments. However, I do want a mower with a 54 inch deck and a serviceable transmission. It looks like the X390 fits the bill.

What are your thoughts on the X390?

Thank you in advance.
    Catfishin
    glc likes this.
    JD 3032E, D160 FEL, Beet Juice, i Match, JD Ballast Box, W R Long 4 in 1 bucket, Edge Tamers, RB2072, Ken's Bolt on Hooks, Action TrackChair ST-22, Stihl 291

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:36 PM
    Thanks
    We just bought a 2019 X390 last month. It was all the wife's doing. We went to our JD dealer looking at used. I was anyway! My wife asked if they had new ones to look at! Well, that's all it took!

I don't even have 4 hours on it yet. The larger deck would have been nice, but the 48" Accel deep deck is just fine! First thing I'll do is remove the factory blades, and put Gator blades on the deck! So far, I have zero to complain about or nitpick. The Kawasaki engine is a powerful little beast for sure! The tractor rides pretty darn good, IMHO. Power steering is darn nice too! I was impressed with what it will climb, without any added rear weight. I am thoroughly impressed with our new lawn tractor!
    Last edited by glc; 08-29-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    The only reason the X390 has a serviceable transaxle is because of the power steering and hydraulic deck lift. Those two systems can introduce dirt so the fluid and filter need to be changed.

Have you considered a base X570? You get a much better K72 transmission that still can have the fluid changed. You also have the simplicity of manual steering and manual deck lift. You also get a differential lock which can be a big deal when you have hills and slopes.
    Catfishin and FortClatsop like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-11-2019 @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks
    X390 will handle your needs no problems- users on this forum mean well but have a tendency to “oversell” won’t be long before someone tells you need a $ 15,000 X758

For mowing duties the X390 is spectacular- power steering – best lawn tractor on market if you ask me!! And don’t let anyone tell you different the K58 can handle gentle slopes no problem,!! Much better than D130

Only thing I would say consider—is snow removal – how much snow do you get at your current location- if its light ( a few snow storms of 6 inches or less) the X390 can handle that no problem. I assume you see no future needs for ground engagement ( tilling) if that’s the case go get yourself a X390, get the mulch kit - well worth the few dollars in added cost
    Last edited by Ilovegreen; 08-29-2019 at 03:26 PM.
    Catfishin and FortClatsop like this.
    John Deere X590- 47 inch Snow blower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:21 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,394 Posts
    I would make sure ergonomically the x390 suits you. Compared to the D130, it should have more room, but you still want the seating and operating positions to fit you well.....

It seems like in each category, when you reach the upper models in the x3xx series, the price is close to or even higher than some of the series above it, like the x570 base machines. Its no wonder so many people struggle trying to decide......

Researching the X390, because I know nothing about them, I ran across another series of posts on "another tractor forum"......all I can say is it reminded me in a flash why I am here on GTT and not over at the other site, where I also am registered, but rarely visit. The entire tone and just the conversations were surprisingly terse. Plus, when those posting are calling each other "Dude", I feel like I am stuck on Yahoo's news site or something similar.....

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Researching the X390, because I know nothing about them, I ran across another series of posts on "another tractor forum"......all I can say is it reminded me in a flash why I am here on GTT and not over at the other site, where I also am registered, but rarely visit. The entire tone and just the conversations were surprisingly terse. Plus, when those posting are calling each other "Dude", I feel like I am stuck on Yahoo's news site or something similar.....
    Good info dude!

glc, Ilovegreen, TJR345 and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:49 AM
    Thanks
    The Accel decks are great,look into the electronic mulch control.
    Catfishin and kylew like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:54 PM
    Thanks
    I am not trying to take you off the topic of the X390. But I bought a 54" zero turn a few years ago and it has completely changed the way I think about mowing. It goes faster, trims better and cuts better than any lawn tractor I have ever owned. You do mention slopes which is not a strong suit of a ZTR but if you have not driven one, I recommend trying one. I know they are not for everyone and I even struggled with it the first few mows but now when I do try to mow with a tractor I feel constrained by actually having to turn around. If you are not doing snow or other attachments ZTRs do a great job.
    Catfishin likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:17 PM
    Thanks
    About a year ago we went to the dealer specifically looking for a mower for the wife. Long story short, we decided on a X390, but didn't buy it at the time. Fast forward to a few months ago while at the dealer, they had a nice 2014 X360 with a 48" deck, which we ended up buying. My understanding is the X360 is the predecessor to the X390.

I like it because of its simplicity. She and I both like the power steering and power deck lift. It does a nice job mowing. When we first got it, we mowed with side discharge and it did very well. Shortly thereafter JD had 15% off mulch kits so I added that to it, and am very pleased. The only other things I added were a front brush guard and a 12V accessory port.

We only use it to mow and an occasional pulling of the yard cart. For what we needed, it's a fine piece of machinery. If you bought a X390, I believe it'll serve you well for what it is.

Good luck Dude
    (Just had to throw that in there )
    Last edited by kylew; 08-29-2019 at 04:41 PM.
    glc, SulleyBear and Catfishin like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfishin View Post
    Hi everyone.

I currently have a D130 that's 5 years old and knock on wood, it's still mowing. I got it before we moved to the lake. It currently has 327 hours on it. It's maintained on a regular basis.

We now mow 2 acres of sloped, nut not hilly lawn. No issues with the D130. I know this machine won't last forever and I'm starting the shopping process.

I don't need a mower with attachments. However, I do want a mower with a 54 inch deck and a serviceable transmission. It looks like the X390 fits the bill.

What are your thoughts on the X390?

Thank you in advance.
    Catfishin
    If this is going to be a new machine for you, then regardless of series buy a machine with power steering and power lift assist. That makes your choice either the X390, which is a great machine, or an X580 or 590. You'll not regret having the power steering or lift, and if you go with the 580/590 you'll be able to expand on your abilities if you wish. The K72 is a beast.
    glc, Catfishin and kylew like this.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast