• 2 Post By Manomet
  • 1 Post By Manomet

Thread: 455 won't turn over

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 07:14 PM
    Thanks

Question 455 won't turn over

This is a problem that happens from time to time. My 455 won't turn over even though all the dashboard lights are on and I can even turn on the headlights.

The blades are not engaged and I have the brake pedal fully pressed. Usually when this happens I just wait and try again the next day and it works.

Could there be some safety device that is defective that could be causing this? What would be the most likely thing I need to check?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:10 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJD View Post
    This is a problem that happens from time to time. My 455 won't turn over even though all the dashboard lights are on and I can even turn on the headlights.

The blades are not engaged and I have the brake pedal fully pressed. Usually when this happens I just wait and try again the next day and it works.

Could there be some safety device that is defective that could be causing this? What would be the most likely thing I need to check?
    The seat switch is where i would start. They are known to go bad and to behave intermittently. It could be loose wires,moisture in the switch, but that is where I would start. They are low cost and easy to replace. Check the wires in the plug to make sure the wires are pushed all the way into the plug as over time, the wires get pulled out of the plug and aren't making good contact. Please let us know what you find and don't hesitate to ask any other questions or for clarification.

This also sounds like a bad battery ground cable on the tractor. Corrosion in the cable or at either or both ends of the cable. Make sure it is clean and well connected.

It's also not uncommon for a battery at the end of its life to act the same way. Load test the battery and you will find out right away if its strong or not. Diesel tractors are very hard on parts because of the vibration. If you don't have a load tester for the battery, you can get one for as little as $20. Here is one example.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-am...ter-61747.html

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

BamaJD (08-30-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks
    Could be a safety switch in the forward /reverse pedals.
    Theres one under seat I'm sure.
    Check grounds to engine from frame....engine is rubber mounted.
    Check/wiggle fuses...theres probly only 3.

To start it....If its like my old 955 that had gremlins.

Get a short piece of decent sized wire...1'

pull small wire off starter

take short piece of wire and stick one end in hole where you removed small wire.

Touch other end to HOT post (big one) on starter.

With key on ...this will start it.

I usually just had to bump it once..(then put small wire back in hole)......then the key would work.

Never did figure out the issue.

Best guess there was a bad spot on starter armature where the starter always lay'd to rest...or bad ignition switch.

Used the above technique for 10 years when needed.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

6. The Following User Says Thank You to theduke For This Useful Post:

BamaJD (08-30-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Our 455 does this. The wire that goes to the solenoid on the starter attaches to a short piece of bent metal that is a slide on connector and occasionally it vibrates loose enough while operating that it wont restart. If I reach down and wiggle this wire (there is play in it due to this slide on metal connector) it always starts up. I have it on my list of things to do when I have a more major repair in that area. Good Luck!
    tommyhawk and Yank like this.
    2009 2520 200cx loader 46 Back Hoe 403 Rotary Cutter Artillian forks + 54" Snowblower
    1995 455 w/60" deck

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manomet For This Useful Post:

BamaJD (08-31-2019), Yank (09-01-2019)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    I found the problem. This wire going into the solenoid (I think) was loose. Once I pushed it in all the way I was able to get it cranked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mower-wire..PNG 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	702756

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    That wire attaches to the piece of metal i was referring to which can also lose contact at the other end so be aware there are two places to lose contact within 3/4" of each other.
    Yank likes this.
    2009 2520 200cx loader 46 Back Hoe 403 Rotary Cutter Artillian forks + 54" Snowblower
    1995 455 w/60" deck

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manomet For This Useful Post:

BamaJD (09-01-2019), theduke (09-01-2019), Yank (09-01-2019)

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Manomet View Post
    That wire attaches to the piece of metal i was referring to which can also lose contact at the other end so be aware there are two places to lose contact within 3/4" of each other.
    I'll be checking that area regularly for any problems.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements