Dad's John Deere 425 Dash Panel Won't Light?
Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By xcopterdoc
  • 2 Post By CompSciSarah
  • 1 Post By SulleyBear
  • 7 Post By CompSciSarah

Thread: Dad's John Deere 425 Dash Panel Won't Light?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 09:29 AM
    Thanks

Dad's John Deere 425 Dash Panel Won't Light?

My Dad has a John Deere 425 that he got 20 years ago or so. It's reasonably well maintained, but recently got a an issue where it just won't start. Stranger yet, the dash panel won't light either (With the operator in the seat and the key in the usual position where the dash lights up). The LED's on the chip that has the fuses won't light either when the key is turned.

We did a continuity test on the fuses and they're ok. The battery voltage is also 12.6, so... reasonable. The contacts are clean and were just doused with contact cleaner after being wire brushed. And the entire thing was blown out by air compressor just to make sure before cleaning.

Not sure where to go from here. Any advice would be great!

Thank you so much!
    "Human Judges can show mercy, but against the laws of nature there is no appeal." -- Arthur C Clarke

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:11 AM
    Thanks
    Go to the lug on the starter where the red battery cable connects. You should see some other wires there also. Make sure nothing is broken off or loose.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    Go to the lug on the starter where the red battery cable connects. You should see some other wires there also. Make sure nothing is broken off or loose.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    I'll give it a closer look when I get back from classes and get a few pictures
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.
    "Human Judges can show mercy, but against the laws of nature there is no appeal." -- Arthur C Clarke

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:09 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Welcome to GTT.....

I assume when you turn the key, nothing happens, is that correct?

If the battery is a couple of years old, load test it with an actual stress load. If you don't have a load tester, you can get a low cost one for about $20. They are very handy and not only do they apply a load to the battery to really test its strength, the same tool also shows the charging system output when the engine is running, which is another helpful diagnostic step in many cases.

Often, the battery will show around 12 volts but when a load is applied to it, with turning the key or using the load tester, the battery voltage will plummet well below useful ranges. Just the other day, someone had a similar issue and everything tested "normal", including the battery showing 12.4 volts......until the load was applied and then the battery output was 8 volts..........

If you have a battery booster pack (or 12 volt jump starter, they are called various things), attach that to the battery and see if it helps. If that helps start the tractor, then its 98% a bad battery.

Please make sure to let us know what you find. Also, obviously check the battery cables to make sure they are tight and clean.

Here is the load tester as an example. They are widely available, but make sure it has the switch to apply the actual test load to the battery.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-am...YaArK4EALw_wcB
    DRobinson likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Welcome to GTT.....

I assume when you turn the key, nothing happens, is that correct?

If the battery is a couple of years old, load test it with an actual stress load. If you don't have a load tester, you can get a low cost one for about $20. They are very handy and not only do they apply a load to the battery to really test its strength, the same tool also shows the charging system output when the engine is running, which is another helpful diagnostic step in many cases.

Often, the battery will show around 12 volts but when a load is applied to it, with turning the key or using the load tester, the battery voltage will plummet well below useful ranges. Just the other day, someone had a similar issue and everything tested "normal", including the battery showing 12.4 volts......until the load was applied and then the battery output was 8 volts..........

If you have a battery booster pack (or 12 volt jump starter, they are called various things), attach that to the battery and see if it helps. If that helps start the tractor, then its 98% a bad battery.

Please make sure to let us know what you find. Also, obviously check the battery cables to make sure they are tight and clean.

Here is the load tester as an example. They are widely available, but make sure it has the switch to apply the actual test load to the battery.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-am...YaArK4EALw_wcB
    I gave the battery a second look and disassembled the entire primary battery power-in apparatus. Turns out my Dad wasn't as thorough cleaning the terminals wit the wire brush as he thought.

He didn't really lift the positive boot and clean under it all the way.

I took everything off and gave everything a scrub down with the wire brush, especially the contact points where the wire had been crimped. They were filthy! Also, I took a look at the bottle that my dad was using to remove the dirt and it was battery preserver not cleaner. In fact, it explicily said that it wasn't cleaner on the back

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190904_144123.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	4.16 MB 
ID:	703502
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190904_144233.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	703504

I gave everything a proper scrub-down and blew everything that had become loose off with the air-compressor away from the clean terminals towards the ground.

She started right up! (Tractor - YouTube)

Thanks for the help!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CompSciSarah For This Useful Post:

Herminator (09-04-2019), KennyP (09-05-2019), Yank (09-05-2019)

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements